Print Thread
Hop To
#9228720 10/04/14
T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T

Sitting here in the living room with a cup of coffee and it's a cool, blustery day outside.

Flocks of blue jays, cardinals, robins and assorted little brown birds are acting crazy. Jittery. Flying around, down, up again like they've all got the itch.

Blue jays are eating some kind of berry and two of them flew smack into my windows just a few minutes ago.

I think those berries have turned.

Oh, [bleep], make that three birds smacking into the windows.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Easy way to catch geese is leave out some fermented grain out for them.

After a while they wobble so much,easy pickings. grin

We have had several of what we call mud birds fly into the picture window,they seem to misjudge their landing spot on the window ledge.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have heard but never witnesed it, that ruffed grouse will get drunk on wild grapes.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Easy way to catch geese is leave out some fermented grain out for them.

After a while they wobble so much,easy pickings. grin

We have had several of what we call mud birds fly into the picture window,they seem to misjudge their landing spot on the window ledge.
A few years ago, the IDFG found close to 2500 dead mallards. It took some investigation but they found out that they'd been eating some moldy corn dumped by a local feedlot.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
When I was a kid, my grandfather owned a vineyard in the Finger Lakes of NY. On more than one Thanksgiving we watched drunk deer and/or turkeys stumbling through the rows after eating unpicked grapes.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
When I was a kid we used to have big robin migrations come through. They would eat our firethorn berries (pyracantha) and act drunk. They would flop around in the street, crash into stuff and crap everywhere. I don't know if they are poison or intoxicating or what.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know two Mexican nationals that swear they hunt turkey with a bottle of tequilla and a loaf of bread. They say they soak rolled up doughballs in the booze and when the turk has eaten enough of them they arent to hard to catch.

.... like tears in the rain
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Time to time I see where some eastern state- Penn. usually, has to close the bear season as blackies are wandering around in town, bumping into things, falling asleep on lawns....

I WILL not tell you about the first black bear I ever killed, in May, near Livengood, Alaska, on my way to the remote cabin for the summer....but it's stomach had over a gallon of cranberries from the fall before in it... I just call it the marinated bear.... smile Damned good eating!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
When I was a kid we used to have big robin migrations come through. They would eat our firethorn berries (pyracantha) and act drunk. They would flop around in the street, crash into stuff and crap everywhere. I don't know if they are poison or intoxicating or what.
I grew up in northeast Ohio outside of Youngstown. We always had a couple wayward robins that hung around all winter, and eventually they'd get around to the crabapple tree in our front yard. They'd get drunk on those berries. You could walk right up to them. Weird thing is, the cedar waxwings would come through, and clean that tree off in one visit. You'd have to be home and watching the tree to know they'd even come through. They'd be in and out in about 45 minutes, but they never showed any ill effects from the little crabapples.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I have seen similar behavior from gray tree rats and crows eating green pine cones.
They both will spend hours eating these green pine cones and afterwards the crows can be approached closely, then only flying short distances to another tree. The squirrels tend to come the the ground and lay down awhile before walking away slowly as if drunk.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Here's an excerpt from an article on birds getting drunk on berries.

Cedar waxwings and robins are most likely to gorge on fermented blackberries, pyracantha or juniper berries, crabapples or mountain ash fruits. �These birds may be tipsy, inadvertent victims of alcohol consumption,� Oregon State University�s Extension Office reports.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Used to see birds here get trashed on fermented china berries.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

681 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 1badf350, 64 invisible), 3,044 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,835
Posts18,517,071
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.