24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
101857 Offline OP
OP Offline
What effect would shooting from the hood of my pick up have on a Thompson contender that has a bipod mounted on fore end / barrel . Gun is a 223 with an old U S made red field scope . Actually have used this set up before so I don't think there is a problem with the scope . Could it be recoil and reflex of the hood maybe ? All the mounting screws are torqued to 20 inch lbs. Bore sighted and shooting at only 50 yards with federal power shock 55 gn. soft points . Target was an 8 1/2 x 11 1" grid 4" bullseye could not get a group to work with . I feel like I did something wrong and would like some to know what others think about this . I slid the scope back to make it more comfortable to shoot before it was under 2" at 100 with Hornady Z Max .

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My guess is that you are shooting off of a hard surface, remove the bipod and shoot it on sand bags w/ the forend (not barrel)rested on them and give it a try. Muddy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What effect would shooting from the hood of my pick up have on a Thompson contender that has a bipod mounted on fore end / barrel

Build yourself a wooden bench
It doesn't have to be anything fancy to be FAR better than the hood of a truck

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
101857 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you , Mr muddy 22 going to get sand bags or foam cushion or what ever I can come up with . Did use an adjustable rifle rest last time , but it was not designed for break action handguns so it was really a hassle . Will do better next time .

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 101857
What effect would shooting from the hood of my pick up have on a Thompson contender that has a bipod mounted on fore end / barrel . Gun is a 223 with an old U S made red field scope . Actually have used this set up before so I don't think there is a problem with the scope . Could it be recoil and reflex of the hood maybe ? All the mounting screws are torqued to 20 inch lbs. Bore sighted and shooting at only 50 yards with federal power shock 55 gn. soft points . Target was an 8 1/2 x 11 1" grid 4" bullseye could not get a group to work with . I feel like I did something wrong and would like some to know what others think about this . I slid the scope back to make it more comfortable to shoot before it was under 2" at 100 with Hornady Z Max .

too many points of fail to evaluate. shoot it off a bench somewhere with 5 different loads and see if any will shoot at all..scope may be now shot to chit, or its just a contender and has to go back to the factory for the Umpa Lumpas to work on it again.

IC B2

101857 Offline OP
OP Offline
I do need a good wooden bench , one that can be moved with out much trouble . Had the groups come together I would have moved back to the 100yd line we have an old cement table there , really solid good with the rifle rest . Range has the distance for a 400 yd. shot . A good bench would be nice .

101857 Offline OP
OP Offline
You're right , I don't really know much about the scope except that I bought it from a coworker and that it was on a 44 mag. The person I got it from also gave me 50 rd of his hand loads to check it out . Seemed to be good several people have shot it and were somewhat impressed with it's accuracy . Just a few days back we were busting gallon milk jugs filled with water at 200yds . Going to try it again with better rest .

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Powder ejecta, shooting rifles from sand bags can ruin the vehicles paint. ( don't ask ). A bipod may get it high enough to avoid that problem. Jack

Last edited by jt402; 10/06/14.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
101857 Offline OP
OP Offline
2000 F 250 clear coat is pealing like a bad sun burn , gas hog v10 work truck shooting from the hood is not something I usually do . Did have one of those fold up work benches for the close to target shots , like what I was trying to do today . It was busted up in a wreck a few years back . Kinda light but it worked

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Our fleet farm use to sell folding leg kits for people who wanted to make their own tables. I bought one and mounted it onto a piece of healthy plywood and fashioned a sort of portable fold up bench. Sure not like a shooting range bench but not too bad either. Loaned it to buddy 5 years ago and he liked it so much I never got it back...lol!

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What effect would shooting from the hood of my pick up have on a Thompson contender that has a bipod mounted on fore end / barrel.

Is it mounted on the forend, or on the barrel?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I bench zeroed my Contender with a 6" Harris bipod and a small sandbag under the butt. It then shot the same way off my truck hood.

Contenders are very (repeat VERY) sensitive to grip pressure, and it is really easy to apply a different grip off a hood. I tended to have my arms out a bit farther and that caused my hand to rotate forward (I was applying "muzzle down" force) and the gun would shoot low.

You mentioned another guy's handloads. That may be your whole issue right there.

Hope that helps.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
...Contenders are very (repeat VERY) sensitive to grip pressure...

Amen to that! To the OP, try shooting it with your firing hand thumb outboard, e.g. alongside the grip, not wrapping it over the stock. That is what I do when wringing out my Contender Carbine .22's.

Ooops, I just realized, you may be shooting the handgun, not a carbine, if so, please disregard. blush grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're right , I don't really know much about the scope except that I bought it from a coworker and that it was on a 44 mag. The person I got it from also gave me 50 rd of his hand loads to check it out . Seemed to be good several people have shot it and were somewhat impressed with it's accuracy . Just a few days back we were busting gallon milk jugs filled with water at 200yds . Going to try it again with better rest .

Try another scope and some fresh factory ammo... Start from scratch.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Start eliminating the variables, go back to the ammo that was working and get off the truck hood to start. I for one am always suspicious of mounts so if you start to think about trying another scope make sure you recheck them. This is double true if they are one of the types that pivot.

In fact, if you have mounts that pivot I will place money on them being the problem. Did you pivot them when you changed the eye relief distance on the scope? If so replace them.

Last edited by Siskiyous6; 10/06/14.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

101857 Offline OP
OP Offline
It looked like on the for end but really to the barrel . I've already taken the bipod off ,don't know why I put it on in the first place . What I need is to make a pistol rest out of stuff that's laying around the barn . Just something to get it shooting right . These stands we (my son and I ) hunt from have pipe insulation on the rest . What kind of rest do you like ?

101857 Offline OP
OP Offline
Ordered the Dnz scope mounts for my 30/30 barrel . Should be here tomorrow afternoon since I have this nearly new Simmons 4x32 already I'm going to try and see how long it holds up . Don't know what you think about Dnz mounts every thing I've read has lead me to want to try one . They are cnc machined from a solid block of high grade aluminum .

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It looked like on the for end but really to the barrel .

If it was on the barrel and you took it off the problem is most likely solved.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

475 members (160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 163bc, 10Glocks, 43 invisible), 2,331 guests, and 1,044 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,660
Posts18,512,866
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.