K
So that would make you...

glutenous? ;-)

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I have been called much worse....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

but if she eats wheat or gluten products she gets eczema on the bottom of her foot.

if she doesn't eat it, her feet are fine

This would be an example of a true (albeit relatively minor) allergic reaction to gluten.

This would be an example of somebody that shouldn't eat gluten, or at least do their best not to eat gluten.

90% of the gluten craze are just idiots. They wouldn't know an allergy from a hemorrhoid.

In two years it will be nothing but a by-gone fad.

Travis

Sorry Travis, but you are WRONGO....

There are more people out there than you think (and they don't know yet) that have a gluten problem.

Gluten Intolerance, Celiac Sprue, is quite real. I happen to be gluten intolerant. Father was diagnosed in his late 60's and I in my 40's.

Wheat sensitivity is quite real as well. Might be the early stages of full blown Celiac. Some are diagnosed as infants, some get progressively worse over time like my father and I. Extremely tough for an Italian family with an Italian Restaurant specializing in Fresh Pasta! Every day of my life, I've had some kind of pasta, pizza, or sandwich. It really is a tough thing to handle to be diagnosed.

Luckily I'm a cook from a family of cooks smile

When you're a cook, Italian, and are diagnosed, you get up to speed REAL QUICK on cooking Gluten-Free. Especially when everything available out there is pure CRAP.

Long story shortened, we've perfected Pizza, Pasta, and every dessert...Gluten Free

My Restaurant prides itself on our extensive gluten-free offerings and the quality of them.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by ingwe
I have been called much worse....

But not by better people. Ha!

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ingwe
...From where Ive been sitting the purpose seems to be attention seeking. It has become all the rage and the latest "in" thing to be 'allergic' to glutens, particularly in women over 40 drama queen types.
Don't know why no one was allergic to glutens ten years ago....

They were. It just wasn't as publicized as it is now. There were remains from a body of the 1st Century AD whose skeleton showed damage consistent with Celiac Disease.
It was formally diagnosed in 1888, and the research really kicked in during the Korean War by a M.A.S.H. Unit commander who saw increasing signs of it in the troops he was treating, then civilians after the war.
Mayo Clinic says that there is more than a four-fold increase in Celiac Disease since 1950, so that could also explain why you haven't heard much about it.

It's real, and it can be fatal. My wife's total cholesterol was over 450 and had all kinds of joint, muscle, and nerve problems, including osteoporosis, before she went gluten free. Just doing that has reversed all of her symptoms and her cholesterol levels are well in the normal range.
The cholesterol and osteoporosis damage caused by Celiac Disease is a lot more critical to over-40 women because they suffer more than men do from those problems.
Not saying that there aren't a bunch of over-40 drama queens, Lord knows there's enough of them around here!

As I posted earlier, the food fad idiots have taken over and really put the real sufferers at risk as wait staff and kitchen staff will lie about items being gluten free because it requires special effort on their part to prepare and serve truly gluten free items.

BTW, going on a gluten free diet does NOT mean it is a low calorie diet. You can actually get fatter, quicker on a gluten free diet because a lot of the alternate carbs are much more calorie dense or they have a much higher glycemic index number than bread or pasta products.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
rcamuglia,

Bravo! Where is your restaurant? It looks like it would be worth the trip! grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Read Wheat Belly.

My wife will flat out pass out if she eats wheat. It ain't a joke or fad.

The wheat has been modified to the point of it being not wheat. Blame farmers who wanted shorter stalks, drought resistant stuff; combined with a certain company playing god and tinkering with it to kill its reproductive capabity out of pure greed. I suspect one day this company will end up accidentally killing off the entire ecosystem as result if some terminator seed that morphs out of control and sterilizes most plant life.

Last edited by conrad101st; 10/09/14.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by conrad101st
...combined with a certain company playing god and tinkering with it to kill its reproductive capabity out of pure greed. I suspect one day this company will end up accidentally killing off the entire ecosystem as result if some terminator seed that morphs out of control and sterilizes most plant life.

That company, whose name rhymes with Monsanto, has had some interesting developments recently. Someone has been salting farmer's fields with GMO seed in a place where GMO is forbidden and Monsanto claims that someone is trying to get them in trouble. grin

I hope that Asia and the E.U. keep up their anti-GMO fight and lawmakers here realize the value of heirloom crops and non-GMO foods.

Ed

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well, I don't want to jump into anything about Celiac or gluten but as far as Monsanto is concerned I'm sick of the out right lies and I don't take it anymore. There is no GMO wheat on the market. There is also no terminator seed on the market.

In the 1950's due to increasing famine, breeders began working on wheat. They conventionally bred shorter stalks, disease resistance, and higher yield into wheat. This combined with the development of synthetic fertilizers launched the Green Revolution credited with saving millions of lives in developing countries. Did gluten increase as a result of the breeding being done for agronomic performance? I don't know but it can't be blamed on Monsanto or genetic engineering as they had nothing to do with it.

As for killing reproductive potential, there are plenty of farmers on this forum. Ask them to compare yields from the 50s and 60s to today. Farmers aren't stupid, if something doesn't work, they aren't going to keep buying it. For 20 years, GMO acreage has increased and continues to do so.

Luckily, if you hate Monsanto for philosophical reasons that is fine. You are free to grow your own food or buy organic.

Please, Asia and Europe? Are you kidding me? They import millions of tons of GMO corn and soy for animal feed and oil production.

Conrad, thanks for your service. I appreciate what you have done for the country. I don't think you have any incentive or motivation to print lies so I'll assume you have been given bad information. The Organic Industry is over $70 billion/year. More than any biotech company. Wonder if there is some motivation to move people away from conventional food toward their products?

NoCAL

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That company scares the crap out of me. I have no doubt that they would gladly take 10 years off every American's life span if they could corner all food production. Just pure GREED, and it ain't good.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
IC B3

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
My main problem, ingwe in particular. You are calling me and all those here who either have an issue with it or know someone who has an issue a liar. Believe me, I am not following a "fad" it sucks to have to be totally gluten free. If I didn't have to be I would LOVE to go back to eating foods I love and not have to play russian roulette every time I went out to a restaurant with a total stomach meltdown. So maybe think about stuff you say before you pontificate about an issue you obviously know nothing about.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It scares a lot of people. Just consider this. A big oil company makes hundreds of times what Monsanto makes and no one company has been able to corner the entire market or persuade people that climate change isn't happening. How could a comparatively small company like Monsanto ($14.5 billion total sales) possibly control all food production, buy off all the politicians, scientists, food companies, judges, and regulators not just in this country but in most of the developed world? Aside from the fact that we don't grow or sell any food. Our only products are seeds, traits, data, and chemicals. We only sell to dealers who then sell to farmers. We don't grow any food and don't even own any farms other than a few research plots here and there. Most of the research is even done on leased land.

But just like I mentioned, nobody is forcing anyone to eat regular food. Organic and Non-GMO certified are available and are growing. Fruits and vegetables for the most part aren't GMO. So you can easily avoid any food that makes you uncomfortable. Let me know if there are any specific concerns you have about the company other than just an overall discomfort. Feel free to PM so we don't derail this gluten thread. Or not. Either way is good with me. Have a good evening.

NoCAL

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My wife suffers from something similar to Celiacs, she gets welts and massive hives all over her body when she eats any grains. She's been to doctors who've tried to put her on cancer medicine that damages the liver and other stupid diagnoses. They don't know what it is either. She isn't gluten intolerant, she can't eat ANY grains (yes, that includes oatmeal). The only relief has been to follow a paleo diet or something similar that restricts grains to get relief. Anyone that deliberately chooses these types of diet restrictions for attention wont be at it very long, it is extremely difficult to avoid any grains because they are in everything you buy at a supermarket. Its a total pain and life altering choice to eat this way, its like starting over from scratch.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by fixitquick79
My main problem, ingwe in particular. You are calling me and all those here who either have an issue with it or know someone who has an issue a liar. Believe me, I am not following a "fad" it sucks to have to be totally gluten free. If I didn't have to be I would LOVE to go back to eating foods I love and not have to play russian roulette every time I went out to a restaurant with a total stomach meltdown. So maybe think about stuff you say before you pontificate about an issue you obviously know nothing about.

Just stating an opinion.

We do that here.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 4winds
My wife suffers from something similar to Celiacs, she gets welts and massive hives all over her body when she eats any grains. She's been to doctors who've tried to put her on cancer medicine that damages the liver and other stupid diagnoses. They don't know what it is either. She isn't gluten intolerant, she can't eat ANY grains (yes, that includes oatmeal). The only relief has been to follow a paleo diet or something similar that restricts grains to get relief. Anyone that deliberately chooses these types of diet restrictions for attention wont be at it very long, it is extremely difficult to avoid any grains because they are in everything you buy at a supermarket. Its a total pain and life altering choice to eat this way, its like starting over from scratch.

She ever try to see if supplements that help leaky gut works for her? Something life colostrum, or L glutamine followed by or with a high potency probiotic(100 million or more)?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pahick

She ever try to see if supplements that help leaky gut works for her? Something life colostrum, or L glutamine followed by or with a high potency probiotic(100 million or more)?

The only thing that works is skipping grains and all the derived products (sadly including beer) from the grains. She's done the probiotics, supplements, allergy shots, etc - none have worked.

We're coping but it is definitely an uphill climb.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The only thing that works is skipping grains and all the derived products (sadly including beer) from the grains. She's done the probiotics, supplements, allergy shots, etc - none have worked.

We're coping but it is definitely an uphill climb.

That sucks, and I can imagine. Honestly feel for her. Hope she finds something. Good luck.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
gluten intolerance is an allergy. How it effects the body can be complicated, but it is basically an allergy like any other. And therefore many people can develop sensativity over time.

And allergic reactions to grains doesn't have to just be gluten, it can be any compound.

People can be allergic to peanuts or shellfish or anything. Some sneeze and their eyes water or get the runs. Others may die.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (300_savage, 69sportfury, 17CalFan, Alan_C, akpls, 11 invisible), 1,585 guests, and 932 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,562
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.