Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Looking for what to buy in the way of warm ski gloves. Any brands you would recommend? I just want my son to be comfortable (6'4" teenager) even if it's very cold. Any thing you would suggest staying away from? I figured I would look online for stuff, but have no way of knowing the quality of stuff that is featured. Thanks for any feedback.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Head

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My hands are always the coldest part of me and the only gloves that will keep em warm are the ones you can slip the little heat pack in. Mittens are much better but even then, when it is REALLY cold, I need heaters in them also.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Texans are tough enough to ski any area lakes in the summer with no gloves.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by eyeball

O, we are talking about WATER skiing! I used to do that when I lived in Oklahoma but never wore gloves. HA!

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

IC B2

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Any fool knows its too dayomned cold to ski in the winter.

Last edited by eyeball; 10/09/14.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
When I lived in Alaska and skied all over the country, my favorite gloves were made by Outdoor Research. I had a pair of mitts that I wore over some merino wool gloves. They served me well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hestra. And I'd look into mittens if you're worried about getting cold... They stay a lot warmer and are easier to stuff handwarmers into.

Buy once, cry once.

http://www.backcountry.com/hestra-f...DYXQxMzExMDAwMTY&skid=HES0163-FOR-S6

Tanner

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hand warmers really work good.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Wiggy's mittens!!! -tnscouter

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I will second the suggestion to go for mittens, and get a snug pair of poly or wool glove (like the ones Filson sells) for inside them. That works for me down to where it's too cold to ski. IME price is not a factor, either. Some of the best ones I've had cost very little and some of the most expensive I've had were disappointing.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by eyeball
Puzzies! Minnesotans are tough enough to ski any area lakes in the WINTER with no freakin' gloves! GLOVES? GLOVES? WE DON'T NEED NO FREAKIN' GLOVES......

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used ski a lot and used to snowmobile a lot. Riding a snowmachine in Alaska at 25 below zero is where you learn to appreciate what it takes to keep your hands.

Like the other guys have said mittens with a wool glove liner are the ticket in extreme cold.

Gloves with a thin ski glove liner (the thickness of dress socks) are good enough for skiing though unless you suffer from really cold hands or it's brutally cold.

The reason mittens work is they're loose fitting and keep a layer of warm air inside and that's also the key to having warm gloves. They have to be somewhat loose fitting to stay warm. If gloves are too tight, especially in the fingers, they'll be cold.

To put this in perspective glove liners work just like long underwear and have the same real world effect. You don't want to wear skin tight pants with long underwear either. The layer of warm air is what keeps you warm.

With that said there's many good quality gortex ski gloves. Just get the right size and some ski glove liners and you'll be good to go. I prefer gauntlet style gloves without the stretchy wrist band. They're easier to put on and take off.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Depending on the weather you probably need a couple of different pair. As already mentioned, mittens will offer the best warmth if it is stinking cold. A quality pair of waterproof gloves with a lot of dacron will work to about zero. If the temps are in the 20's and 30's you will probably want a lighter glove. Sweaty hands can lead to cold hands too. You can combine this lighter glove with an overmitten and cover two temp ranges. I have a couple of pair of heavy gloves from Cabelas that go on sale for about $25 and they are great. I coyote hunt in them at -20 and my hands remain functional. A proper hat and neck cover will go a long way in keeping your hands warm.

I have the worlds largest glove collection, I collect them like cheap flashlights and guns. My wife has forgiven me for the glove fetish though.

I think these are the ones I mentioned.
Warm Gloves

In looking for those I found this:
Chosing a glove system

Last edited by supercrewd; 10/10/14.

NRA Life Member
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Skiing isn't duck hunting. The activity level makes a big differences so any decent high topped thinsulate glove will do.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I agree with others recommending mittens and hand warmers. Gloves give better dexterity, but heavy gloves prevent warm air from reaching finger tips while mittens let warm air get to all finger tips, but not so well to the thumb. I wear light "liner gloves" when skiing and climbing in cold weather. The light liner gloves give some protection when removing mittens to snap a button or adjust something. I always attach a short cord on one end to the mitten and at the other end tie with an overhand knot tied on a doubled back cord to maks a small loop. The middle of the cord can be passed through the loop to make a cinch loop to go around your wrist. That way you can just pull a mitten off and let it dangle while you quickly do an adjustment and also the mitten won't blow away.

Osama and Obama both have friends who bombed the Pentagon.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

270 members (2five7, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 29aholic, 1_deuce, 01Foreman400, 39 invisible), 2,291 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,206
Posts18,503,822
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.