Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
But then there is their "trespass" on private land.

Around here, all gates are locked but the Wardens have keys. I expect the landowners furnish them, but I've never asked. I've ridden with one of our locals a couple of times to show him where hunters were camped. I offered to open the comb. lock, but he had a key to another lock.

In fact, he had more keys than a burglar on a big old ring.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Here the Game Wardens can't trespass without permission, or without seeing an obvious blatant game violation take place, last I heard anyway.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Ours may get around it by claiming they are searching for a pollution source on a watershed.

Ain't no place that's NOT on a watershed, as far as I can tell.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Word around here is you can't carry your rifle in the woods during deer season without a tag. Had a friend cruising her property looking for coyotes and got stopped. It's cattle ground and they were calving. Guy swore up and down that her 32 special her Daddy gave her when she was 10 would have been confiscated if she had been on public land.

Ask them and they will tell you that carrying that rifle shows intent to take. Never mind that a person has the right to keep and bear arms. If someone has a deer down and no tag throw the book at em. Seriously. Lock em up for a good long while. But if I want to take a stroll with a rifle in the woods I don't even want to worry about some a-hole possibly with a camera crew (National Geographic films their show around here)busting my chops about it. I'm very pro LEO, but between the show, the name change to "Fish and Wildlife" and one idiot around here that wants to make a name for himself, I've ended up with a real distaste for those guys.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
^^^^^^^

Dats Kali for ya!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yep, I'll go anywhere I damn well please with a firearm on my property at anytime of the day or night.

I've had them do the same with me several times in Alaska. You have to remember there is SOMETHING in season 11 months of the year where I was at.

One time a brown shirt jumped out (he was hiding), whilst I was headed to the skiff with a rifle and rod in hand. He said 'Let me see your hunting license' I said no and that I don't have one with me. He said 'it's bear season, I need to see your license'

I told him 'I'm not bear hunting', he then went on again about seeing my license. I told him I have a rubber in my wallet too, but that doesn't mean I'm [bleep].

Another stopped me (I was on an ATV with a rifle strapped to it). He then asked, 'Are you hunting?', I said no, I'm riding. He asked why I had the rifle and I asked why he had a gun?

I told I'm I would be hunting in about an hour if he wanted to check me then.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Higbean
Word around here is you can't carry your rifle in the woods during deer season without a tag.

State law in Nebraska bars carry of loaded centerfire rifles during firearm deer season if you don't have an active deer tag.

During the November firearm deer season, only hunters with a valid unfilled deer permit may hunt wildlife other than deer with centerfire rifles or centerfire handguns.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Word around here is you can't carry your rifle in the woods during deer season without a tag.

State law in Nebraska bars carry of loaded centerfire rifles during firearm deer season if you don't have an active deer tag.

During the November firearm deer season, only hunters with a valid unfilled deer permit may hunt wildlife other than deer with centerfire rifles or centerfire handguns.

Those kinds of laws are bullshit. If hogs are considered shoot on sight vermin, why should I have to pay the state's deer toll to shoot the hogs off my property?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I don't read that, it says 'Only Hunters with a valid unfilled deer permit may hunt wildlife other than deer etc etc'

Where the [bleep] does it say you can't carry a rifle or handgun?

So if you have a CC permit, going for a hike, you have to have an unfilled deer permit?

Lots of reasons to carry a firearm that don't involve hunting.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ltppowell
That's 'cause they can't, and never could, although they sure tricked a lot of people into thinking so. The Constitution says otherwise.

Hmm.. US Supreme Court doesn't say that as far as I can tell.

http://www.sportsmenvote.com/news/u-s-supreme-court-move-backs-game-warden-power/

The claim of an unconstitutional search by a San Diego fisherman who got caught with an out-of-season lobster was rebuffed Monday by the U. S. Supreme Court.

In denying review, the high court let stand a California Supreme Court opinion in June that people who hunt and fish have fewer of the privacy rights guaranteed by the U. S. Constitution�s Fourth Amendment.

The state high court granted game wardens the authority to stop, question and search citizens without a warrant or even without probable cause to believe a law has been broken.

All the warden needs, the California court ruled, is knowledge that a person is or has been fishing or hunting.

The need to protect wildlife for future generations outweighs the comparatively minor intrusion on a citizen�s Fourth Amendment protection against unreasonable search and seizure, wrote state Supreme Court Chief Justice Tani Cantil-Sakauye.

The opinion overturned rulings by two lower courts.

If the Supreme Court won't shoot it down, then you're on shaky ground. It's going to go state by state.

If somebody has other case law from the Supreme Court, I'd love to see it.

Last edited by Calhoun; 10/10/14.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It's a good bet that carrying a firearm where there is something that could be hunted is de facto hunting in brownshirt minds.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The above is correct, especially in a WMA or National park, National Forest or refuge. You have no rights in these places nor in a boat.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mathman
Those kinds of laws are bullshit. If hogs are considered shoot on sight vermin, why should I have to pay the state's deer toll to shoot the hogs off my property?

Well, hogs aren't shoot on sight vermin in Nebraska. We don't have feral hogs, and if you do run across one and shoot it you'll be prosecuted. But let's stick with coyotes, which are shoot on sight..

You have 356 days a year to hunt and shoot them. 9 days a year you are restricted from hunting them unless you have a deer tag. State sets the rules.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by mathman

Well, hogs aren't shoot on sight vermin in Nebraska. We don't have feral hogs, and if you do run across one and shoot it you'll be prosecuted. But let's stick with coyotes, which are shoot on sight..

You have 356 days a year to hunt and shoot them. 9 days a year you are restricted from hunting them unless you have a deer tag. State sets the rules.

People traffic cocaine. You're a person. So you might traffic cocaine. How about we just suspend the fourth amendment for nine days a year so we can check everybody out?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Calhoun,

The Supreme Court ruled the officer had probable cause.

http://www.wonews.com/t-PerspectiveReport_DFGWardens_090111.aspx

That is the basis of all warrantless searches.

That was what the OP was stating as well.... I asked him once if it was true that they were the only officers who could search a home without a warrant.

His answer: "YEAH, BUT IF WE DO, WE DAMN WELL BETTER FIND WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR".

That means if he didn't have probable cause he couldn't conduct a warrantless search.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Maybe that's why Ol' David showed up in Court with one dove he retrieved from under the seat of Monty Cooper's car and the Judge sent Monty to the pen.

You can bet Monty didn't give him permission to search.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Strick9
The above is correct, especially in a WMA or National park, National Forest or refuge. You have no rights in these places nor in a boat.

I don't care about state owned land.

If you have a rifle that doesn't mean you are hunting, if walking your own property.

Killing a rabid raccoon doesn't mean one is hunting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by ltppowell
That's 'cause they can't, and never could, although they sure tricked a lot of people into thinking so. The Constitution says otherwise.

I had a Game Warden search the toolboxes on my truck at a game check station once. I thought he was looking for tape to re attach the tag to my deer. He said no, he was just checking to see if I had other game I hadn't claimed.

I asked 2 friends of mine what the legal requirements are of Game Wardens. One was a judge, the other a highway patrolman. They both told me that Game Wardens had to abide by the same laws as any other law enforcement agency. I think actions like this helps smear the reputation of Game Wardens, they choose to do this on their own...

Not true. They only need probable cause. See State v. Boyer

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Calhoun,

The Supreme Court ruled the officer had probable cause.

http://www.wonews.com/t-PerspectiveReport_DFGWardens_090111.aspx

That is the basis of all warrantless searches.

That was what the OP was stating as well.... I asked him once if it was true that they were the only officers who could search a home without a warrant.

His answer: "YEAH, BUT IF WE DO, WE DAMN WELL BETTER FIND WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR".
That means if he didn't have probable cause he couldn't conduct a warrantless search.

That's a reporter's conclusion... but as I read it straight from the California State Supreme Court decision:

For the reasons discussed below, we conclude that the Court of Appeal erred in determining that, under the applicable California statutes and the Fourth Amendment of the United States Constitution, a game warden may make such a vehicle stop only if the warden is aware of facts that give rise to a reasonable suspicion that the angler or hunter has violated a fish and game statute or regulation.   As we shall explain, California authority has interpreted the relevant statute as authorizing a stop of a vehicle occupied by an angler or hunter for such purposes, and the United States Supreme Court has held in a number of decisions that an administrative search or seizure may be conducted, consistent with the Fourth Amendment, in the absence of reasonable suspicion that a violation of a statute or administrative regulation has occurred.   Such administrative searches and seizures are permissible when (1) the governmental action serves a special and important state need and interest distinct from the state's ordinary interest in enforcing the criminal law, (2) the administrative rules or regulations that are required to achieve the state's interest are of such a nature that limiting inspection only to those persons reasonably suspected of committing a violation would seriously undermine the state's ability to meet its special need, and (3) the impingement upon the reasonable expectation of privacy of those subjected to the procedure is sufficiently limited such that the state's need to utilize the procedure outweighs the invasion which the search entails, thus rendering the procedure reasonable for purposes of the Fourth Amendment.

Applying these principles in the present context, we conclude that (1) the state's interest in protecting and preserving the wildlife of this state for the benefit of current and future generations of California residents and visitors constitutes a special and important state interest and need that is distinct from the state's ordinary interest in crime control, (2) the administrative regulations that are required to serve this interest � involving, for example, limits on the number, size, and species of fish or game that may be taken at different times and in different locations � are of such a nature that they would be impossible to adequately enforce if a game warden could stop, and could demand to be shown all fish or game that have been caught by, only those anglers and hunters who the warden reasonably suspected had violated the fish and game laws, and (3) the impingement upon privacy engendered by such a stop and demand procedure is minimal because (i) the stops are limited to those persons who have voluntarily chosen to engage in the heavily regulated activity of fishing or hunting and as a consequence have a diminished reasonable expectation of privacy with regard to items directly related to such activity, and (ii) the required demands are limited to items directly related to fishing and hunting and do not require disclosure of intimate or confidential matters as to which such persons retain a substantial privacy interest.

Even if we assume that a game warden's stop of a car in which an angler or hunter is riding entails a greater intrusion on privacy than a stop of an angler or hunter who is on foot, we conclude that when, as in this case, the vehicle stop is made reasonably close in time and location to the fishing or hunting activity, the encroachment upon an angler's or hunter's reasonable expectation of privacy resulting from a brief vehicle stop and demand is nonetheless rather modest, and no more intrusive than other actions by game wardens that have been upheld in past California cases.

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/ca-supreme-court/1571450.html

Last edited by Calhoun; 10/10/14.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Looks to me like the reporter was quoting the SC ruling. Not making it up as he went...

But, whatever.

Here is what the Supreme Court said:

"As noted above, after stopping defendant's vehicle Fleet asked defendant whether he had any fish or lobsters in his car and defendant responded that he did not. Because Fleet had personally observed defendant catch either a fish or a lobster on the pier, place the item in a black bag, take the bag to his vehicle in the pier parking lot, and drive out of the lot, Fleet reasonably believed that defendant was lying to him when he denied having any fish or lobsters in his vehicle. Under these circumstances, Fleet had probable cause to believe (1) that defendant was in violation of section 2012 requiring a person to exhibit his catch upon demand, (2) that evidence of that violation was reasonably likely to be present in the black bag into which the game warden had seen defendant place his catch, and (3) that the black bag was reasonably likely to be in the vehicle defendant was driving away from the pier.

Accordingly, Fleet's ensuing search of defendant's vehicle for the black bag, his search of the black bag itself, and his discovery and seizure of the unlawfully taken lobster from inside the bag all were supported by probable cause and thus did not violate the Fourth Amendment."

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1minute, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 61 invisible), 2,318 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,176
Posts18,503,222
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.