Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Reason numba one.....

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kinda looks like when I mix the cranberry sauce with the stuffin' on Thanksgiving.........grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 204 is a tad different. It was a 1-500 run and maybe the first Model 7s in 204(?).

It wears a Leupy Mark 4 PR 3-9x40 now. Complete with fluted bolt and Gre-Tan firing pin unit.......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
drover,

I like the way you used only 3553 fps for the 40-grain bullet in the .223 to calculate recoil, and 3701 with the 40-grain in the .204.
I resent the inference that I have intentionally skewed the recoil results in my post. I clearly pointed out that they were the average of all loads published with PSI references in order to be as unbiased as possible.(My replies are in red for ease of readability.)

In reality the .223 is capable of about 100 fps more velocity with 40's than the .204--which, of course, means the .223 will recoil more.
Using the Hodgdon on-line manual the fastest 40 listed for a 204 is 3774 fps, the fastest 40 listed for the 223 is 3674. Just the opposite of your posting when using published data. Anything besides published data is meaningless for a fair comparison.

Let's take a look at the recoil difference using the fastest published load.
When using max listed velocities the 204 actually has nearly a half ft lb more recoil that the 223 rather than the other was around as you posted.
204 with 40's - 3774 = 3.9 ft/lbs
223 with 40's - 3674 = 3.5 ft/lbs

204 - 40 gr bullet
Recoil
Input Data
Charge Weight: 30.0 gr
Muzzle Velocity: 3774.0 ft/s
Firearm Weight: 7.0 lb
Bullet Weight: 40.0 gr

Output Data
Recoil Velocity: 6.0 ft/s
Recoil Energy: 3.9 ft�lbs
Recoil Impulse: 1.3 lb�s

223 - 40 gr bullet
Input Data
Charge Weight: 28.0 gr
Muzzle Velocity: 3674.0 ft/s

Output Data
Recoil Velocity: 5.7 ft/s
Recoil Energy: 3.5 ft�lbs
Recoil Impulse: 1.2 lb�s

But for further verification let's use the fastest listed load in the on-line Nosler manual.
204 with 40 gr - 3815 = 3.8 ft/lbs
223 with 40 gr - 3860 = 3.7 ft/lbs

204 - 40 gr bullet
Input Data
Charge Weight: 29.5 gr
Muzzle Velocity: 3815.0 ft/s

Output Data
Recoil Velocity: 5.9 ft/s
Recoil Energy: 3.8 ft�lbs

223 - 40 gr bullet
Input Data
Charge Weight: 28.0 gr
Muzzle Velocity: 3860.0 ft/s

Output Data
Recoil Velocity: 5.8 ft/s
Recoil Energy: 3.7 ft�lbs

Once again using the published data the 223 has slightly less recoil than the 204 with the highest velocity loads listed. If anything it could be argued that the 223 is slightly more efficient since it achieves its highest velocity with less powder.

Do you actually load 40's down to about 3550 in the .223?
The velocity I shoot 40's at has no relevance since the references are to published data, not the velocity I shoot.

But while I've shot a bunch of 40's out of .223's. I much prefer at least 50-grain bullets, because they drift far less in the wind. They recoil even more than 40's, of cource, yet still drift noticeably more than 40's from the .204 started at 3700. Even 32's from the .204 drift a little less than 50's from the .223.
The original posted comparison was 40 to 40, if you prefer 50's that is fine but it has little or nothing to do with this discussion.

Plus, the .204 shoots flatter, which doesn't theoretically matter when you're dialing, but a lot of prairie dog shooting is at ranges where dialing isn't necessary. A .204 loaded with 32's at 4100 fps and sighted-in an inch high at 100 yards allows holding right in the middle of a prairie dog out to 250+ yards. A .223 doesn't shoot nearly as flat, no matter what bullet you load--but it doesn't even come close with 40's at 3550.
Once again the post was about recoil not which shoot flattest. However I will say that if a person shoots a cartridge enough that they are totally familiar with its trajectory and wind drift then holdover and drift is much less of a concern than it is made out to be.

Of course, stocks shape, gun weight and the individual shooter makers a difference in seeing the target during recoil. My experience is also with a bunch of .204's and .223's, and for me (not you) I find that even with a heavy-barrel .223, with 50-grain bullets at 3400 fps the rifle doesn't come down out of recoil soon enough to see the bullet hit at any range less than about 150 yards. With a sporter-weight .204 I can see dogs hit at any range. It's easiest when shooting 32-grain bullets. This is all with scopes of about the same magnification, and hence field of view.
And I can see PD'd and gophers hit at any range using any of my sporter weight 223's with 40's, which only points out the difference in individual shooters.

However, in my experience the easiest centerfire cartridges for spotting shots are even smaller, rounds like the .17 Fireball, .22 Hornet and .221 Fireball. Sometimes the reticle barely leaves the dog during recoil, which makes me think a .20 VarTarg may be worth a try. I've shot a couple of 'em but not a lot, and just might give it a try.
I am thinking of a 20 VarTarg also, it appears to be much more efficient than the 204 Ruger, and it in reality should have slightly less recoil.

One last comment is that most recoil programs are too simplistic to provide exact results. I know this from measuring the actual movement of rifles during recoil.
Just because they are too simplistic does not mean that they are not useful. They are by far the most useful program available to the general public and they do provide for an unbiased comparison. As far as measuring the actual movement of the rifle I am unsure as to how useful that is for a more meaningful result.

But this exact subject was hashed over for many pages in the previous thread, a while back. You obviously haven't seen any significant difference in recoil between the rounds, while I have, which proves that we're all different in the way we shoot and hold rifles. But in the previous thread a clear majority said they could see hits better when shooting a .204, which I would suggest means there is some difference in recoil--especially when the .223 isn't downloaded.

As we all know people are predisposed to see what they expect to see and that appears to be the case here.
As far as the 223 being downloaded - when it is compared to the 204 with both being loaded to the max velocity with the same weight bullets the 204 still shows slightly more recoil.

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Not with Sierra's recoil formula. Using it, the .223 shows up to 10% more recoil, whether with 40's at 3800 or 50's at 3400, as opposed to the .204 with 40's at 3700 and 32's at 4000. The difference varies slightly with which bullet was used, but no matter the loads the results show more recoil from the .223.

But that just indicates there are flaws in every recoil formula. As mentioned in my previous post, I have measured how much various rifles actually move during recoil, using a couple of different methods, and find those results usually vary somewhat from formulas as well.

Because of the subjectivity of recoil, due to varying humans bodies and rifle stocks, I also tend to believe what other people see and feel. In fact listening to other people, and observing them when shooting, also happens to be what I consider part of a gun writer's job, rather than stating only his personal experiences.

As an example, most Campfires posts are examples of one person's experiences, whether they firmly state which load shoots best in their rifle, which cartridge works best on deer, or their experiences with the .204 and .223. You post here not only related your personal experiences, but the results with one recoil formula as the ultimate "science" on the subject, even though the .223 load you chose was an underload, by the standards of any loading manual. And that, again, is a classic example of one person's experience.

Which is why the results from the previous thread on this subject hold more validity to me than the opinions of one person, whether me or you or anybody else. And in that thread 2/3 of the shooters said they could normally see bullet impacts through .204's, but not .223's.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I no longer have the Sierra program to run the recoil, would you please copy and post the calculations here. I am only interested in the 40's at max velocity, not 32's or 50's since I am would like to see the comparison on an equal footing.
Since you did not supply any real data I am skeptical.

You are choosing to misuse the fact that the original posted data was obtained with the average of all velocities listed for the 204 and 223 with 40's as a fairer way to compare rather than cherry-pick a single load.
In the second post when I compared the highest velocities of both cartridges the 204 still showed slightly more recoil.

As far as being biased - again I will point out that it is human nature to be predisposed to obtaining the results expects rather than being unbiased in their assessment, which is the reason for using a recoil program. Even your bias towards the 204 shows through in your postings concerning it.

Personally I could care less whether someone uses a 204 or a 223, my only gripe is the constant mantra of the 204 recoiling less. Yes, this is my personal experience which is what we all lean on, but I cannot tell any difference between them. I have enough acquaintances who have shot them both report the same results as I have had. That has more validity with me than someone with unknown experience posting on the internet.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Reason numba one.....

[Linked Image]

That is bad medicine, but I hate to disappoint all the 204 guys with what a Swift can do better...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
yeah, with half again more powder....

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I admit to a bias toward the .204, both because of the ballistics and because in my experience it does recoil less than the .223. I noticed that immediately on shooting my first one, and it has continued through the next three rifles.

Sierra recoil program results:

.204 Ruger--
40-grain bullet at 3700 fps
28 grains of powder
8.5 pound rifle:
4.0 foot-pounds

.223 Remington--
40-grain bullet at 3800 fps
28 grains of powder
8.5 pound rifle:
4.3 foot-pounds

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Thank you for posting the Sierra recoil data although I am still skeptical.

It would have been a fairer comparison if you would have computed it using average velocity and powder charges from a published or posted load manual such as I did in my original post. And also a comparison with the max charges such as I did rather than choose to use the same powder charge for both cartridges which skews the results somewhat and makes them less relevant.

Just to clarify a bit - I was employed in the aerospace industry for 43 years and learned early on that unless comparisons are made to like items then the results are pretty much useless and misleading. GIGO - garbage in, garbage out.

drover

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
drover,

I would argue that using data from ONE manual is far more skewed than using an average of data from several sources, which is what I did. But let�s try some other numbers of the sort you suggest.

Loading data is complicated by the fact that the SAAMI maximum average pressure for the .204 is 57,500 PSI, and for the .223 55,000 PSI, which is no doubt why the SAAMI �suggestion� for muzzle velocity for 40-grain bullets from both cartridges is almost identical, 3775 for the .204 and 3770 for the .223. But I couldn�t find any presently listed factory loads that adhere to those numbers.

I did find two 40-grain .204 factory loads listed at 3900 fps, but have tested both in the 24� barrels (the SAAMI standard) in my own rifles and came up with an average of 3727 fps. The other two 40-grain factory .204 loads I could find are listed at 3625 and 3650 fps, for an average of 3737.5. The only two .223 factory loads I could find are both listed at 3700 fps.

There still isn�t a vast amount of .204 handloading data, especially when compared to the .223, and some I rejected for comparison purposes because the .223 pressures were CUP and the .204 PSI. Also, a few companies still pressure-test in one barrel then chronograph velocities in a commercial rifle, on the theory that this results in a �representative� velocity. I only compared pressure data derived by the same method in both rounds, with velocities from the same barrel as the pressure data.

The reason I used the same powder charge weight when calculating recoil with the Sierra formula is that in my own .204�s and .223�s I�ve used charges of around 28 for 40�s. In my .204�s I use 27.0 grains of Ramshot TAC (their maximum listed charge), partly because TAC is one of the faster powders in the .204. In three different rifles with 24� barrels, and with three different 40-grain bullets, this charge produced an average of 3752 fps.

In the .223 I used both 28.0 grains of TAC and 27.0 Benchmark with 40�s. Both are the maximum listed or very close to it. In this instance neither of the .223�s used had a 24� barrel. Instead one had a 26� and the other 22�, so I adjusted the velocities by adding or subtracting 25 fps for each inch of barrel length. They averaged 3809 fps.

I used the same barrel-length velocity adjustment for published handloading data, because a couple of the .204 rifles used for data have 26� barrels. The average for top velocities with 40-grain bullets in the .204 came out to 3730 fps, and for the .223 3799 fps.

Averaging all of this data result in a 72 fps velocity difference in favor of the .223. This is a little more than the 100 fps difference I used in calculating the recoil numbers, probably due to the small difference in SAAMI pressure between the rounds. (The formulas used were a couple I came up with empirically from loading data, but afterward they were confirmed as valid by the late Don Miller, the same guy who came up with the Miller bullet-stability formula, now pretty much considered the industry standard.)

On the other hand, the powder charge I used could reasonably be dropped a grain in the .204. Using a velocity of 3728 fps and a powder charge of 27 grains in the fps for the .204, Sierra�s recoil program resulted in 3.9 foot-pounds or recoil, a .1 reduction from the first number quoted.

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

My understanding was that all things equal, pressure against the base of a smaller diameter bullet will result in less felt recoil than it's larger counterpart...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So John, in conclusion, are you saying that said .3 lbs or 4.8 oz. makes a difference in seeing or not seeing hits?

Plus, we have to keep in mind that this is not felt or perceived recoil. In which many other factors come into play.

Again, I've not crunched numbers, nor do I care to. Or to dispute yours.

I can only speak from experience and I just don't notice much if any difference in recoil or in seeing hits. The recoil energy is so close that , as stated earlier, I think other factors have a greater effect. JMO.....

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dunno about that. Do know that higher velocity is possible at the same pressure in a larger bore with the same weight bullet, which why the .223 can push 40's faster than the .204, despite having slightly less powder capacity.

Are you actually reading all this gack?

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
2muchgun,

I've already stated before that the difference in recoil is slight, but appears to be there. Rather than discussing, say .3 foot-pound of recoil, it might be more useful to look at a 10% difference in recoil--which is what Sierra's program calculates is the average difference between the .204 and .223 with 40's.

And with 32's the .204 recoils even less. I mostly shoot 32's in milder winds because they shoots just as flat to 500+ yards but recoil slightly less.

This is why I never could figure out why some people claim there's no difference in the recoil between the rounds. The major factors in cartridge recoil are powder weight, bullet weight and muzzle velocity. Since the powder charges are so similar, the .204 would have to kick a little less, because it generates less velocity with the same bullet weights, and mostly uses lighter bullets. So if a program claims the .204 kicks more, then there's something screwy somewhere. (And it was, in drover's example, because the velocity he used was much slower than the .223 is capable of with 40-grain bullets.)

Whether this makes any difference in an individual shooter's ability to see hits is another question, because that would depend on how firmly they hold a rifle, stock shape, and the field of view of the scope. I normally use somewhat less magnification than many prairie dog shooters for typical shooting ranges, usually around 10x out to around 300-350 yards, and maybe 15x at 400-500.

I'll also state, once again, that in this discussion, average results are more important than individual results. And in the previous thread twice as many people said they could see hits better with .204's as those who said they couldn't. More "samples" (meaning more shooters) tends to average out differences in shooting style, stock shape and scope field-of-view.

All I'm saying is that the .204 has to recoil slightly less than the .223, even when using 40-grain bullets in both rifles, and that slight difference appears to allow a majority of shooters to spot their shots more easily with a .204 than a .223.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Are you kidding? He slipped the swift into the mix, and now he's just waiting for a chance to plug the 222maggy.....

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
He always does!

John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've got identical rifles in .223 and .204, and recoil is a fuzz less in the .204, but I use 32s in it, and 50s in the .223, although I don't hotrod the 50s much (3380fps or thereabouts). My .204 loads run just under 4100fps, so they're not maxxed out, but getting close.

Granting there's not much difference, but it sure is fun to see a rat lift off the ground with those little 32s. Then again, I also used a .22/250 with identical stocks and scopes, and I COULD see the hits with it, too.
I shoot them all off a bipod with a bag at the buttstock. And I hang onto it, like it kicked or something.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That'll work too!

In fact I have been able to see hits through the scope with at least a couple 6.5 Creedmoors, as long as the hits were at 600+ yards and the scope wasn't set on too high a magnification....

John Steinbeck
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I see all my hits from CB shorts. They're awesome.

I don't have to reload ammo, or wear muffs.

Dunno why anyone would want a .204.

Long live the CB & BD combo.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 73 invisible), 2,446 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,701
Posts18,513,757
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.