Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Looking for an idea on a good area to do a back country Mulies hunt with a buddy. Not wanting someone's honey hole just general ideas (even just date names would be a start). We want to do it with a bow, and we are very avid whitetail hunters, but pretty green on mule deer. This is a deal that would be a couple years in the planning, so a preference point or two is an option. We want respective trophies, but we'd like to know we are hunting an area with a good population as well. Open to combo ideas with other species too, but we want Mulies to be the main event. We'd like to pack in several miles and stay a week to 10 days.
Thanks in advance

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Most of southern Idaho has OTC tags for archery. With a non-resident deer tag, you can also use it on a bear, wolf, or cougar if you get the chance. You can also buy separate, cheaper tags for those 3 species since once you've used your deer tag on something else, you can't get a deer. In many units, archery elk is also open at the same time.
With some exceptions, Idaho's archery season is open Aug 30 thru Sept 30.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'm in the same situation as Neutral88 (archery muley) except I am not patient enough to wait on any draws, I'd rather OTC tags. I'm thinking Arizona. I realize a southern hunter (Alabama) who normally sits in a stand waiting on a whitetail has his work cut out stalking muleys with a bow but its about the hunt more than the kill and I understand stalks will be plentiful in January during the rut (if you know where to be). Size is of little concern to me, again, its the hunt I am after. Arizona is where I'm leaning and would love some thoughts.

B
B
Bob Marshall. Rifle hunting in the last half of September. Find somewhere with water and plenty of veg at or above 7k and you'll be good to go.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bowhunter's have LOTS of options as many states have OTC tags. Usually elk are available at the same time and are in the rut during most bow seasons.

Hunting mule deer in the rut is a bit more difficult in most states as the seasons end way before the rut. There are exceptions, but not many.

I would recommend picking a state and doing a more focused approach from there. MT, UT, WY, CO, AZ, NV... There are lots of good options.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BedrockandParadox
Bob Marshall. Rifle hunting in the last half of September. Find somewhere with water and plenty of veg at or above 7k and you'll be good to go.

LOL

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

445 members (160user, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 37 invisible), 2,302 guests, and 1,077 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,761
Posts18,515,176
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.