Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/10/11/glock-family-goes-down-guns-blazing.html

facebook
tweet
Glock Family Goes Down, Guns Blazing
King Lear, strippers, and show horses: Inside the $500 million lawsuit that could bring down Gaston Glock�s gun empire.
Guns, money, sex, and betrayal: Rarely do the news gods smile down on us with such charity. But Helga Glock, ex-wife to Gaston Glock Sr., the gun industry�s most successful and secretive tycoon, has given us all that and then some with a new lawsuit filed in an Atlanta federal court earlier this week.

In the complaint�filed in Georgia, where the Austrian company�s U.S. headquarters is based and most of its business conducted�Mrs. Glock�s attorney accuses the 85-year-old gun manufacturer of a racketeering scheme that spanned decades and the globe, all in an elaborate plan to steal the business that Mrs. Glock and the rest of their family had helped to build from a mom-and-pop machine shop into a company with $400 million in sales each year. An enterprise so successful�it supplies U.S. police with two-thirds of their firearms and dominates the civilian market�that Mr. Glock�s criminal dealings have cheated her out of around $500 million, the suit claims, making the case one of the largest civil suits ever under the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organization Act.

This isn�t the first time the Glocks� legal dramas have played out in the media.

The family�s dirty laundry was aired in 2011 during divorce proceedings that would end the Glocks� 49-year-long, if not happy then lucrative, relationship. The short story: After Glock suffered a stroke in 2008, his nurse-slash-mistress Katrin Tschikof, 50 years his junior, restricted the family�s access to the ailing magnate. And in a tale more suited for TMZ than The Wall Street Journal, by 2010, Gaston Glock had locked his wife out of their mansion in Austria, fired his three children�Brigitte, Gaston Jr., and Robert�from the family business, and stopped speaking to his grandchildren.

Helga and Gaston�s divorce was final on June 28, 2011. By the following day, Mrs. Glock (she kept her name) was no longer a part of the company. He married Tschikof later that year and appointed her to the company�s advisory board.

It would be simple to frame Helga Glock�s newest court battle as one brought by a lover scorned. But this is strictly a business case, her Atlanta lawyer, John Da Grosa Smith, told The Daily Beast.

Helga and Gaston Glock met in 1958, married in 1962, and a year later co-founded Glock KG. With the savings they had put aside for a condo in Vienna, the newlyweds bought land for a factory to make a gun he had designed for the Austrian army. The Glocks had day jobs�he as an operations manager for a company that made car radiators, and she as a secretary�but at night, the couple and their growing family worked to build the business.

That factory, as BusinessWeek reporter Paul Barrett chronicled in his book Glock: The Rise of America�s Gun, and noted in a 2012 interview, �was almost uniquely efficient, and the gun has been uniquely profitable as a result. His costs are so low that he was able to sell the gun very cheaply and basically grab the market away from companies like Smith & Wesson.�

By 1980, the Glock family was living atop their factory, making curtain rods as well as weapons. While Gaston designed firearms, the rest of the family kept the factory going. In 1985, after winning contracts with the Austrian army, the Glocks brought their business to the States, creating the U.S. subsidiary Glock Inc. Shortly after that unit was formed, the complaint alleges, Mr. Glock transferred 50 percent of the ownership of Glock Inc. out of the parent corporation�for the insanely low price of $75,000�and into Unipatent, a shell company that he controlled completely.

Ms. Glock says she knew nothing about the transfer, and didn�t learn about it until a quarter-century later, during their divorce proceedings.

By the 1990s, Glock�s focus on law enforcement was working, after a vocal majority called for better firepower, after failed revolvers caused a few high-profile shooting deaths of officers. The company continued to do exceedingly well, likely beyond any of their initial expectations.

And Gaston�s deceit continued, Helga Glock claims. In court documents, her lawyers colorfully relay the saga of how a billionaire ex-husband conspired with associates to steal half a billion dollars from the family that helped him build an empire.

Interspersed with quotes from former associates culled from past legal proceedings include one from Peter Manown, a former Glock vice president who a decade ago admitted to stealing millions from the company: �[Glock] spends money on mistresses, on houses, on sex, on cars. He bribes people. He�s just a bad guy.�

The complaint goes on�for 350-plus pages�to detail just how bad. This is, of course, only one side of the story. The general counsel of Glock Inc. in Georgia did not return calls for comment and Gaston Glock did not answer his phone in Austria.

According to the court filing, Gaston Glock Sr. carried out his schemes by paying himself inappropriate royalties; setting up a network of sham international companies from Bermuda to Hong Kong; laundering money through phony companies, leases, and loans; and paying Glock-owned companies that provided neither services or products.

When Helga Glock would ask questions about the business, she says Glock Sr. would reply, �I strongly hope you will trust me, won�t you!� or �Trust me, it�s all for the family,� she states in the documents.

Meanwhile, Glock entertained clients and associates with lavish dinners and visits to a since-closed strip club, Atlanta�s Gold Club, Mrs. Glock�s complaint states. Glock used those strippers to represent the company at trade shows and flew them around on the corporate jet.

The complaint further alleges that Glock had a personal slush fund that he used to �cavort with women around the world.� One sham corporation was allegedly set up for the sole purpose of owning homes �to house and entertain his metro-Atlanta-based paramours.�

When Charles Ewert, nicknamed Panama Charly for the regions in which his shell corporations were located, partnered with Glock, they carried out elaborate schemes to stash profits away from his family and fund his grand private lifestyle, according to the complaint. Ewert later tried, but failed, to have Mr. Glock murdered, to hide his own $100 million embezzlement. Helga Glock maintains her ex-husband never told her about the incident. (Ewert was convicted on charges of attempted murder in a Luxembourg court in 2003 and sentenced to 20 years in prison.)

Besides working methodically to hide funds from his family�s reach, Glock convinced both Helga Glock and his children into donating their company assets and waiving inheritance rights in exchange for being made the beneficiaries of private foundations in Austria, Mrs. Glock�s suit claims. After his divorce, Glock used his power to remove his ex-wife, his children, and their descendants from these foundations and made himself the sole beneficiary.

These foundations that were supposed to ensure the financial stability of his wife and heirs now fund a horse farm, where an Olympic show-jumper named London lives. Glock gave London to his new wife as a present and, at $15 million, it is one of the most expensive horses ever purchased.

�From what she�s now discovered, Ms. Glock accepts as true that Mr. Glock betrayed her trust in so many ways in the course of their business partnership and has amassed much of the stolen assets in foundations that he established and ultimately controlled in Austria,� John Da Grosa Smith said.

Smith also oversaw the reversal of an embezzlement conviction of former Glock executive Paul Jannuzzo, reports Paul Barrett in BusinessWeek, which is notable in that Jannuzzo was found to be less of a criminal and more a victim of Gaston Glock�s personal vendetta.

No doubt Smith hopes to paint Glock as a monster once again, and the theatrical complaint pulls no punches. Glock�s actions, Smith writes, �resemble the senseless and self-destructive rage of Shakespeare�s King Lear, when he foolishly mistreats a loyal but candid daughter, Cordelia, in favor of cunning and ruthless flatterers. Perhaps neither pathology nor psychology can provide a satisfactory explanation for why an aging billionaire would spend his twilight years seeking to terrorize members of his own family.�

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Ya'll do know that Gaston Glock posts here as Sherp, don't you?

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Snort! laugh

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Could it simply be that there is a sh%itload of money at stake?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
LMAO!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Perfection!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Old news. All that schit is in the book.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We all know an EX WIFE wouldn't lie

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Though Empires may rise and fall - There will always be GLOCK !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe he'll sell out to General Electric smirk

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Gaston Glock is 85. His ex is about the same age. If your 85 and the Angel of Death isn't in your bathroom he should feel fortunate. Half a billion dollars is an abstract amount of money. Both of them will be dead before the lawsuit is settled. The only winners are going to be their lawyers.

Last edited by idahoguy101; 10/13/14.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

The short story: After Glock suffered a stroke in 2008, his nurse-slash-mistress Katrin Tschikof, 50 years his junior, restricted the family�s access to the ailing magnate. And in a tale more suited for TMZ than The Wall Street Journal, by 2010, Gaston Glock had locked his wife out of their mansion in Austria, fired his three children�Brigitte, Gaston Jr., and Robert�from the family business, and stopped speaking to his grandchildren.

If true, it's unbelievable that a man of his age, and his net worth, still wouldn't realize what's really important in life. Okay, maybe his wife was unbearable to live with, (I doubt it since she stuck with him working night and day to build the empire and was willing to sign away assets based on his word) but what about his kids and grandkids that he's abandoned?

If, instead of dropping dead suddenly, he winds up in a hospital bed with his mental faculties intact for a week or two, knowing the end is near; I wonder as he reflects on his life, will he be happy to spend the remaining hours with his new wife "50 years his junior" (who I'm sure he has a LOT in common with), or will he be wishing he were surrounded by his kids and grandkids?

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by bhemry

The short story: After Glock suffered a stroke in 2008, his nurse-slash-mistress Katrin Tschikof, 50 years his junior, restricted the family�s access to the ailing magnate. And in a tale more suited for TMZ than The Wall Street Journal, by 2010, Gaston Glock had locked his wife out of their mansion in Austria, fired his three children�Brigitte, Gaston Jr., and Robert�from the family business, and stopped speaking to his grandchildren.

If true, it's unbelievable that a man of his age, and his net worth, still wouldn't realize what's really important in life. Okay, maybe his wife was unbearable to live with, (I doubt it since she stuck with him working night and day to build the empire and was willing to sign away assets based on his word) but what about his kids and grandkids that he's abandoned?

If, instead of dropping dead suddenly, he winds up in a hospital bed with his mental faculties intact for a week or two, knowing the end is near; I wonder as he reflects on his life, will he be happy to spend the remaining hours with his new wife "50 years his junior" (who I'm sure he has a LOT in common with), or will he be wishing he were surrounded by his kids and grandkids?

Just proves what fools we are for pu$$y.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
NOMB...

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's kinda hard to care much about a guy who can�t get by with only half of a billion dollar nest egg. If he had shopped a bit he probably could have found an equally hot chick who was happy with a horse that only cost $7.5 Million.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Another Glock Kaboom! That Glock bulge again!

Thats all I got...

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by supercrewd
Another Glock Kaboom! That Glock bulge again!

Thats all I got...

Gets banged every time?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
There has got to be a "little blue pill" joke in here somewhere... (actually I don't even know if this is Gaston but Google says it is...)

[Linked Image]

She could cause an accidental discharge I suppose...

NRA Life Member
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I want to be just like Gaston Glock when I grow up.

Mathew 22: 37-39

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
And I bet the newer Mrs Glock has had a baby. Her future is assured...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (16penny, 160user, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 58 invisible), 2,414 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,524
Posts18,472,626
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.