Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
True, but one of the angles the anti-lead folks use is that the "newer" high velocity rounds (.30-06 type "higher" velocity rounds, let alone the super magnums) are the reason lead was not a problem in the past. They claim using lead core bullets in modern velocity rounds shed a lot more of their lead than the older, slower, all lead cast slugs of yesteryear. Sad thing is, they generally are correct in that particular theory.

Again, I think the whole thing is a crock of $hit, but that is what the antis are banking on from what I have gathered.

This is still a flawed theory. Before jacketed bullets, lead projectiles were solid lead with easy fragmenting due to the natural soft characteristics of pure lead. Plenty of Civil War veterans died from old age and not due to lead poisoning from bullets and fragments they carried within themselves for the duration of their lives...

It's a flawed theory to imply the same effects of lead toxicity in a human to a raptor. For a fair comparison a human would need to ingest an equal percentage of lead per body weight to that of a raptor and above that the body's chelating abilities would need to be factored as well.

Point being a fragment or two to a human isn't going to do much, but to an eagle it is likely deadly. Which, exacerbates the BS argument that human's will get lead poisoning because eagles do.

Again, too many nuances in this discussion.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jryoung

Point being a fragment or two to a human isn't going to do much, but to an eagle it is likely deadly. Which, exacerbates the BS argument that human's will get lead poisoning because eagles do.

Again, too many nuances in this discussion.

This is what I take from the whole lead issue, but I still doubt the actual mortality to eagles. I am seeing eagles in unprecedented numbers, to the detriment of all small game. I would rather see fewer eagles and more small game...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I agree I don't want rules on this... but I do use copper bullets because over the yeras they have been better 100% performers than any other bullets I"ve used.

I could make do with whatever is out there, just by picking bullets for uses, but prefer the copper ones.

I hate to think I"m helping antis, and in the meantime Barnes will get all of my serious business.

aS to lead... the crap with waterfowl was BS too IMHO.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
*****See my new post which shows how wind farms are now allowed to kill unlimited number of birds*****
Yet we are supposed to have nightmares over lead bullets.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Miles. You really need to read the results of test about lead levels in hunters that use lead bullets. I know, never let good scientific fact interfere with myths. How does eating road kills that got hit by cars contribute to lead poising in eagles. Now that is a stretch.

The lead levels in humans and eagles getting lead poisoning from being hit by cars are your creation, I said nothing about either, but them you never were much to let fact get in the way of you spewing BS, so it just falls into the category of same BS different day.

Yea go ask your Dr. They are the same ones who want to know if you have any firearms in your house because they can kill you.

Unless you have someone better to ask, I'd start right there.

The eagle decline was most attributed to DDT and 2-4-D insecticides and herbicides.

More of the same BS, different day. I never said boo about the eagle decline being caused by lead.

I stared hunting with a shotgun, killing rabbits, squirrels, pheasants with lead shot in 1955 and ate of lot of those. Started to hunt deer/elk etc. big game a few years later and have consumed a heck of a lot of that meat.

As have I. But... those pellets ht at 600-900 fps and leave very little lead in the game.

Working in underground nuclear testing ,we stacked hundreds and hundreds tons of lead brick and lead shot for shielding. Having my blood test work up done, I show no more incidence of lead that the average non-hunter. Asbestos and radiation exposure is going to kill me a lot sooner than lead.

And you complied with the safety measures and had the monthly blood tests to be sure you complied.

For those that think that the antis won't use the all copper bullet scenario to help ban lead bullets have their head in the sand, no matter how they perform.

While the monos are not the best bullet for all situations, there are quite excellent non-toxic bullets available for almost all situations. Yeah, likely the antis will try to ban lead bullets everywhere, and their argument won't make any better sense than yours about does eagles getting lead poisoning from cars hitting them.

Personally, I could live without big game bullets made with lead. Copper works better and doesn't cost enough more than other premium bullets to matter at all. That we have supply issues where you cannot go into a store and expect to find exactly what you want now is not fun. It won't get better if lead is banned, but then, nobody banned .22 LR lead bullets and finding what I need for that is a Lot harder right now. I can't find any 35 grain VMaxs either, and my LGS just laughs when I ask if they can order either one.

Life will go on. Where I live there is stiff competition between eagles for territory. They scarcely have a mile between nests. More eagles will inevitably mean more ways for eagles to be killed. You want to do some good, look at the numbers and make sense of the additional mortality vectors that are and will become more common as the population goes up. Be able to explain things like eagle mortality from eating gut piles as a population dynamics vector and make it simple enough that antis can understand it.

IC B2

T
Tom Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
This looks like pretty good research to phase out lead bullets.

Millions of doves die from lead, human hunters have 1.27 lead level, where non-hunters are 0.84, i.e. over 50% higher.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/wild-game-deer-venison-condors-meat-lead-ammunition-ban/

Last edited by Tom; 10/14/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tom

Millions of doves die from lead, human hunters have 1.27 lead level, where non-hunters are 0.84, i.e. over 50% higher.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/wild-game-deer-venison-condors-meat-lead-ammunition-ban/

There you go!
That is a 5 year old study which was debunked.
The meat packages were gone through to find bloodshot meat and only samples from parts containing lead were included in the study. Also the good DR was dreaming when he did the Xrays of deer. How do tiny particles of lead get throughout the body without causing tissue damage and IF you found one while eating wouldn't you spit it out?
Can't remember which mag had the article about this study, Might have been American Hunter but whatever it is pure BS.
As someone already posted- When you draw your conclusion before you do your research, the results are predictable.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Blacktailer

There you go!
The meat packages were gone through to find bloodshot meat and only samples from parts containing lead were included in the study.

Which study are you referencing? The pig study or this reference from the article?
That realization led Cornatzer and a radiologist last year to X-ray 100 packages of venison that had been donated by a sportsmen group to a food bank. About 60 percent of the packages contained lead-shot fragments, even though it�s common practice among hunters to remove meat around the wound.

If it is the former, have you read the study? How did you determine that it was only sample parts containing lead?
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2669501/

Abstract
Human consumers of wildlife killed with lead ammunition may be exposed to health risks associated with lead ingestion. This hypothesis is based on published studies showing elevated blood lead concentrations in subsistence hunter populations, retention of ammunition residues in the tissues of hunter-killed animals, and systemic, cognitive, and behavioral disorders associated with human lead body burdens once considered safe. Our objective was to determine the incidence and bioavailability of lead bullet fragments in hunter-killed venison, a widely-eaten food among hunters and their families. We radiographed 30 eviscerated carcasses of White-tailed Deer (Odocoileus virginianus) shot by hunters with standard lead-core, copper-jacketed bullets under normal hunting conditions. All carcasses showed metal fragments (geometric mean = 136 fragments, range = 15�409) and widespread fragment dispersion. We took each carcass to a separate meat processor and fluoroscopically scanned the resulting meat packages; fluoroscopy revealed metal fragments in the ground meat packages of 24 (80%) of the 30 deer; 32% of 234 ground meat packages contained at least one fragment. Fragments were identified as lead by ICP in 93% of 27 samples. Isotope ratios of lead in meat matched the ratios of bullets, and differed from background lead in bone. We fed fragment-containing venison to four pigs to test bioavailability; four controls received venison without fragments from the same deer. Mean blood lead concentrations in pigs peaked at 2.29 �g/dL (maximum 3.8 �g/dL) 2 days following ingestion of fragment-containing venison, significantly higher than the 0.63 �g/dL averaged by controls. We conclude that people risk exposure to bioavailable lead from bullet fragments when they eat venison from deer killed with standard lead-based rifle bullets and processed under normal procedures. At risk in the U.S. are some ten million hunters, their families, and low-income beneficiaries of venison donations.

Also the good DR was dreaming when he did the Xrays of deer. How do tiny particles of lead get throughout the body without causing tissue damage and IF you found one while eating wouldn't you spit it out?

Read it again, he viewed the x-ray during a presentation which prompted him to perform his own separate analysis of venison packages donated to a food bank.

Also a point of distinction is that fluoroscopically visible is not the same as biting into a chunk of lead and spitting it out.

Too many nuances in this discussion.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Tom

There you go!
The meat packages were gone through to find bloodshot meat and only samples from parts containing lead were included in the study. Also the good DR was dreaming when he did the Xrays of deer. How do tiny particles of lead get throughout the body without causing tissue damage and IF you found one while eating wouldn't you spit it out?
Can't remember which mag had the article about this study, Might have been American Hunter but whatever it is pure BS.
As someone already posted- When you draw your conclusion before you do your research, the results are predictable.

Please explain to us how the Minnesota sheep study found lead as much as 18 inches distal from the POI. and how those pieces being mostly to small to see or feel get spit out.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The condor situation is easily resolved. A more direct form of lead poisoning should do it.

LOL
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
When this myth goes down, there'll be another one. Maybe next time they'll claim that recoil causes Alzheimer's or something.

Yes, that's been debunked too, there was a study done, if I could only remember where I put it......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The study referencing elevated lead in the food bank venison and lead "throughout" the deer was the part that was debunked in one of the hunting magazines which, again, was American Hunter IIRC. When the folks from the magazine examined the sampling technique for the foodbank study they found that the packages of meat were Xrayed prior to the sampling and that only those containing foreign objects were included in the study. Bottom line: If this stuff was true, we as hunters would have died out or been sterile years ago.
I have no dog in this hunt having been in the first lead free area from the beginning and using lead free bullets for hunting before they were mandated. My only objection is that this will be forced on the rest of you based on the same trumped up "evidence" that was used here.

Last edited by Blacktailer; 10/15/14.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I have no dog in this hunt having been in the first lead free area from the beginning and using lead free bullets for hunting before they were mandated.

Do you use lead free primers?

Quando omni flunkus moritati
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
raptors are not humans. they're not even mammals wink

I help treat several (like 5-10) eagles every fall & winter that are:

1) picked up by F&G with paralysis
2) picked up in line-of-sight to a gut pile
3) far above the toxic blood lead levels via independent lab
4) respond clinically to chelating agents like Calcium EDTA
5) lead levels go down on subsequent blood draws due to #4

keys here for the agenda driven:

only happens during open hunting seasons

only found near gut piles

verified by bloodwork

stops happening in units that go lead-free

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Forget copper, forget lead.

Go straight to depleted uranium.

That'll really drive the antis berserk.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The fact is there are a lot of paid anti hunting, anti gun propagandist out there, spreading false science as fact. Paid liars spreading Anti American slop. If you believe the trash then vote for the hog sloppers, you will get the Non America they are getting paid to create. Check their bank statements, You are likely to find indirect links to places like the GATES Foundation

Last edited by baltz526; 10/15/14.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
raptors are not humans. they're not even mammals wink

1) picked up by F&G with paralysis
2) picked up in line-of-sight to a gut pile
3) far above the toxic blood lead levels via independent lab
4) respond clinically to chelating agents like Calcium EDTA
5) lead levels go down on subsequent blood draws due to #4

keys here for the agenda driven:

only happens during open hunting seasons

only found near gut piles

verified by bloodwork

stops happening in units that go lead-free

I'm having trouble understanding this. Are you saying folks in Utah gut shoot deer regularly? That all gut shots retain the bullet? That the raptors seek out the bullets? I can understand this scenario playing itself out on rare occasions but are you saying the above occurs with regularity?

Jack O'Connor
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I can understand this scenario playing itself out on rare occasions but are you saying the above occurs with regularity?

I don't want to put words into his mount but I think that's why he said.

Originally Posted by UtahLefty

We saw similar results with golden eagles and turkey vultures in CA when the ban was implemented...Condors though? not so much, but that hasn't stopped the perpetuation of red herring arguments from lead ban proponents only to be echoed by more red herring arguments.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0017656

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
Blacktailer - you very well may be overthinking this. Two factoids that may clarify for you:

1) Premium meat for raptors = lung,liver,and kidney. Given the choice, they will consume this first , even on a fresh kill, nearly every time.

A deer/elk that was recovered by a hunter will likely have been shot in the lungs,liver, or kidney , no? You may take the liver home with you but do you take the lungs home with you?

2.) 100 micrograms per deciliter is a fatal dose of lead to a raptor. For a 3 to 6 kg eagle, that is 300-600 micrograms or 0.005 to 0.01 grains

so 1/100th of a grain (or less) is a fatal dose. A jacketed bullet loses 30-50 grains as it passes through the lungs and lodges into the shoulder for you to recover and weigh / photograph. How much of that 30-50grains is in the lungs ? Half ? Even if it's only 10% (5 grains), that's still 500x the fatal dose for an eagle.

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
it's a tiny, tiny amount of lead --certainly not an amount like spitting out a #8 pellet.

the majority of eagles with comfirmed blood lead levels above 100mcg/dl do not have visible lead fragments in their GI tracts on radiographs

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (12savage, 1badf350, 2500HD, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 219DW, 42 invisible), 2,479 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,292
Posts18,505,267
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.