Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I know, there should be an over riding air of solemnity and "Gravitas" evident in discussing the demise of a fellow man, ...one of "God's Creatures"

Looks to me to be one of those win / win situations, and as good a way to have one's earthly remains handled as any.

Can't really see why the Fish Cops would want to "euthanize" the ursine undertaker / funeral director.

I'm not saying I'd want to make bacon out of him, either.

That would be like eating Wu's Pork, eh ?

GTC

Link: http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-black-bear-eats-dead-man-20141017-story.html

Authorities say a black bear ate the body of a Humboldt County man after he died of a heart attack on his way to check his water supplies.

Marion Lee Williams, 65, died sometime last week not far from his property, which is where the bear had also apparently created a home for itself, said Humboldt County Deputy Coroner Roy Horton.

The bear probably came across Williams, who had collapsed and died of a heart attack, then dragged his body into a cave to eat.

Investigators used Williams' fingerprints, dentures and pieces of clothing to identify him.

The California Department of Fish and Wildlife considered searching for the bear to potentially euthanize it, spokesman Andrew Hughan said. But the bear was long gone.

"The bear does not pose a public threat," Hughan said. "It was just doing what bears do."

Williams lived alone and "off the grid" in a trailer in the community of Briceland, six miles west of Redway, authorities said.

He was last seen on Oct. 8, but his friends did not report him missing until Saturday.

When his friends still hadn't heard from him, they searched his property and found his remains

Last edited by crossfireoops; 10/17/14.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Quote ["The bear does not pose a public threat," Hughan said. "It was just doing what bears do.]

How generous of Mr Hughan. I'm sure the family feels much better.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I personally would like to have my remains 'recycled' through nature... my wife say's, gross... but really it's paying it forward.

Kent

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Quote ["The bear does not pose a public threat," Hughan said. "It was just doing what bears do.]

How generous of Mr Hughan. I'm sure the family feels much better.

Ya' know, I think that (on behalf of the "Family") you should personally chase that bear down and slap him (or her) around a little.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Okay, can someone explain to me how a forensic investigator can determine someone had a heart attack before he was eaten by a bear when they aren't even sure exactly when all this happened? Doesn't sound like there was enough left to identify him much less autopsy him by the statement above.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by krp
I personally would like to have my remains 'recycled' through nature... my wife say's, gross... but really it's paying it forward.

Kent

Can we use one of your well run Dutch Ovens or Frying pans to hold the big pile of Bear chit, kinda' prop the lid open for "Viewing" ?

GTC

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Sheister
Okay, can someone explain to me how a forensic investigator can determine someone had a heart attack before he was eaten by a bear when they aren't even sure exactly when all this happened? Doesn't sound like there was enough left to identify him much less autopsy him by the statement above.

Bob

Quite obviously, the bear did not eat the suckers hard heart.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Bob

You certainly make a coupla' good points, but it would be better to give this a day or two to "settle".

What is the "Transit Time" for a Black Bear, anyhoo ?

GTC

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I don't suppose having a bear standing on one while eating their ass would cause a heart attack, now would it?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Still, "Natural Causes" though.

GTC

IC B3

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Can we use one of your well run Dutch Ovens or Frying pans to hold the big pile of Bear chit, kinda' prop the lid open for "Viewing" ?

GTC

... and fondly say,'I knew him before he went to chit'...

kent

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Bob

If I may, they are just trying to make the family feel better on their father (or whatever) being eaten by a black bear. If they couldn't determine it was a heart attack, he would somehow get the blame anyway. "He surprised the bear" "He interrupted the bear" "He got between the bear and his cub or her" They are never going to say, geez I guess we should allow more hunting so bears are afraid of people. I have NEVER heard F&G say something like that. The person that was mauled/eaten/abused (whatever) is always at fault in their eyes. I'm tired of it.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

GTC

... and fondly say,'I knew him before he went to chit'...

kent

Try and schedule for Mesquite Bean Season, so the Bear droppings will have an interesting, visually pleasing aspect .

If you give the Bear the diahrea, it'll have to be a "Closed Bucket" service.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 10/17/14.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Cariboujack

Bob

If I may, they are just trying to make the family feel better on their father (or whatever) being eaten by a black bear. If they couldn't determine it was a heart attack, he would somehow get the blame anyway. "He surprised the bear" "He interrupted the bear" "He got between the bear and his cub or her" They are never going to say, geez I guess we should allow more hunting so bears are afraid of people. I have NEVER heard F&G say something like that. The person that was mauled/eaten/abused (whatever) is always at fault in their eyes. I'm tired of it.

To wax serious for a moment, I think you're reading this 5 X 5.

A GOOD coroner, under the right climatic conditions, can "Read" the ground under a body, (or where a body WAS,) and pretty much define time of death with bugs, molds, etc.

If the fellow's that "Gone",....HTH do they know that somebody didn't plug, or stab him ?

GTC

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I just hope, after it all, I was worth a chit...

Kent

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by krp
I just hope, after it all, I was worth a chit...

Kent

Legitimate concern,.....I just hope it's Bearable.

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
I'm sure no crows pecked at Dad's carcass......nature genuflects at family wishes....rigor, livor and just plain hungry animals have no regard for sequence, unless we're talking Kent....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Too bad it wasn't you instead...you're past your shelf life. wink

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by okok
Too bad it wasn't you instead...you're past your shelf life. wink

Too bad you didn't read this AM's post from a member who advised you that you should suck off a Glock some months back,...and that everything you've had to say since is pretty much moot.

That comment was a 10X

GTC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F/O trespasser. wink

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,699
Posts18,513,711
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.