Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
bearit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Does anyone have any on game experience with this bullet.....either factory loaded or handloads? Second hand info or predictions also welcome....thanks in advance...bearit....

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
When i first got my 9.3 i bought 2 boxes of norma's with the oryx and 2 with the alaskan.

Used the Oryx to kill one medium size hog before i started reloading. killed him about as dead as dead can get. the oryx didn't group well for me compared to the TSX i eventually settled on.
Tried Swift A-frames, the 236 gr oryx, and the 286gr alaskan before settling on the original TSX in 250gr.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It shoots into an inch or a little less in my CZ, but not as well as other bullets. It retains high percentage of weight, of course, but expands very widely so doesn't penetrate nearly as deeply the 250 AccuBond and TSX. Penetration is plenty for any deer-sized game, and of course also plenty for more-or-less broadside shots in bigger game, but the BC is also low, so despite being capable starting at pretty high velocities it doesn't shoot as flat as the 250's.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
bearit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks....I just bought a bunch of the factories from Midway on closeout....I have many diferent and out of production bullets and am starting to handload them....my rifle shoots almost all of them to 1"....I've not had a chance to shoot them yet...I wonder how they would perform on black bear at less than ideal shot angles....where I hunt the bears they routinely go to 400lbs....hogs are heavy and tough like a larger bear so what you say is significant....bearit...

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Well, the penetration is relatively less than the 250's I mentioned, but 9.3 bullets are known for deeper penetration. My guess is they'd work fine on animals that size, but doubt they'd penetrate end to end!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

B
bearit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks....I've a quantity of 250gr. ballistic tips that I am starting to handload as to some previously known specs....so far they shoot quite well but as there are clearcuts in north-central PA. accuracy is the word...the old BT are better in my Sako than the new AB....always looking for the best.....bearit....

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have taken 6 whitetails with the 232 Norma Oryx, only recovered one bullet. It retained about 3/4 of its weight. Completely mushroomed over so one could just see the base. Went through one shoulder and stopped about half way down the off side. Not a shot I normally take, but it was a wounded deer that presented itself. One shoulder was completely busted and it was three legging it. Had to shoot before it took off into a swampy area. Not my deer, but was not going to let it suffer. All the others were through and through. None of the deer when over 10 yards when hit. Very little meat damage. Like JB'S my CZ shoots it MOA and better. I would feel fine with it for Black Bear.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
in all honesty there's not much in the lower 48 that the oryx probably wouldn't kill with authority, bears aren't overly tough to kill and i wouldn't hesitate to use the oryx. If it was moose i'd probably use something else.

One thing with the CZ and maybe the 9.3 in general, it shoots most anything pretty good. The only bullet i had that shot over an 1 1/2" was the A-frame. With a good dose of Big Game mine shoots the TSX into a neat cloverleaf out of only a 20" barrel.

B
bearit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I swapped out my CZ 9.3 for the Sako....what was I thinking? should have them both....When I owned the CZ I did not handload for it...what a rifle...a fella down in Texas has it now.... to my uneducated thinking the 232gr. Oryx should be fine but I'm not a lucky enough hunter to always get a broadside...that's why the post......bearit....

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Do a forum search for JB's loads for the 9.3X62, I have used them and have not needed to go any further. My results were about exactly like his but then again we have the same rifle. I think the 232 Oryx would be fine even on an off angle shot.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I shouldnt start something but this is where the small caliber guys start with always having good shots' always shooting perfect, the animal not moving... and everything is great.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
bearit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
small caliber guys always get lucky....every time and maybe again...if you hunt Potter or Cameron counties you know how roly-poly those bears can get....bearit....

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I shouldnt start something but this is where the small caliber guys start with always having good shots' always shooting perfect, the animal not moving... and everything is great.

There's that and the bit about most American hunters not being too fond of metricated calibrations.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
B
bearit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I'll test the 232's against milk jugs as the bears won't tolerate testing without tearing down the bird feeder the next day....bearit...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
hunt bedford county for deer. but for some reason where i have been hunting they seem to never stop, but just keep moving through. With brush and all the shots dont always go the way you want.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A 250 Accubond in a 9.3 is about as good as it gets for ranging and terminal performance.

Adalwolf
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
the only bullet left on my list to try in the 9.3 is the 250gr Northfork. If it shoots well with the big game it may replace the TSX.

Their 160gr in my 7x57 has shot extremely well.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
A O Bush,

Yeah, I've used the 250 9.3 AccuBond on quite a few animals weighing under 100 pounds to up around 600-700, from up close to 300-400 yards and never had a problem.

Have only recovered one bullet, from a grizzly weighing about 500 pounds that was running angling away. The bullet entered the read of the ribs and ended up under the hide of the neck on the opposite side, retaining 81% of its weight. (Did shoot a gemsbok that was facing me, and the bullet ended up somewhere inside, but we never found it, and I was right there looking in the guts along with all the skinners. But it definitely went through the diaphragm.)

If limited to one 9.3 bullet it would definitely be a contender.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got a small assortment of 9.3 bullets but once I tried JB's load for 250TSX, I went no further. Great groups with CZ!

This season presented the first opportunity to see that load perform when I took a shot at a wounded 60" bull moose at 380 yards. Most would consider that as too long for a 9.3x62. I recovered the bullet under the hide on far side of broken shoulders.

This was the easiest load development I ever experienced....thanks to John Barsness......I refer to his favored loads frequently in his book and it has saved me a pile of time and $$$$.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
As stated above, I think the 250 Nosler AB or the 250 TSX are about the perfect all round 9.3 bullet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1_deuce, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 55 invisible), 2,505 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,187
Posts18,484,861
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.