Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
EXACTAMUNDO!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Godogs57
I have run into a definite bias against the round literally every place I've hunted out west. Seems everyone out there has a "lost too many elk (or mule deer, pronghorn, etc)" story regarding the 7mag. Might just be a statistical thing...since there are so many out west, then that would leave one to believe that if an animal was wounded and possibly got away, then statistically, more might be from that round. I don't know...but the bias against that round is very real in the circles I travel out there.

I've seen the same thing. Before I left Alaska there was a gun shop that I went in occasionally. One of the last times I noticed he had several 7mm RM's in his rack. I said to him, "what's with all the 7 mags?" He said, "I took them in on trade." I told him, " Those don't sell up here." He said, "I wish you'd told me that 6 months ago, I've noticed the same thing."

The 7mm Mag does what it does because it's got a 24" barrel. My Winchester mod 70 Classic 30-06 has a 24" barrel and will pretty much do the same thing without all the recoil. If I want more than a 30-06 will do I go to my 338 WM.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't figured out yet what my Finnlight 7-08 with TSXs or Partitions won't kill:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

But I do still love the 7mm RM and 162 A-max for LR fun, nonetheless:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's a nice setup 2muchgun.

I'm a 270/308/30-06 shooter mainly, but I admire the 7mmRM; I see it like a big brother to the 270 Win.

But my favourite 270 Win / 7mmRM rivalry story is about my best mate who'd been knocking my 270 for years because it was weak compared to his Big Seven...

We ran them both over the chrony, both using 150g bullets with our own respective handloads.

The 270 Win cracked the 150g SSTs at about 2975fps. Shoulda seen the look on my old mate's face when his 150 grainers clocked 2670fps!

Still killed pigs and deer extremely well I have to say and with a little more coal on the fire his loads soon were making more respectable numbers.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
one good point for the 7 Rem Mag or the 300 Win Mag ( at least locally).. is when ammo is hard to find on the shelves.. there seem to be plenty of 7 Rem Mag and 300 Win Mag...

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
bobknob,

I've got a couple of 7mm Remington Magnum stories that need to be retold now:

When my friend John Haviland (who goes by Elk on the Campfire when he posts, which is rarely anymore) was a young man he bought a 7mm RM, because back then EVERYBODY in Montana was buying them. He handloaded 160-grain Speer Mag-Tips and it killed black bear, deer and elk like lightning. A few years later he bought his first chronograph, and found his handload got around 2700 fps, just about exactly what a 7x57 can get with "modern" pressures.

Jerry Fisher decided he wanted to go to New Zealand and kill a big red stag a few years ago. He took his converted pre-'64 Model 70 7mm Remington Magnum, but decided he didn't want to hassle with ammo, so asked the outfitter if he could provide some. The outfitter said, "I've got plenty already in camp from previous hunters."

Jerry showed up and they drove all day to get to the outfitter's lodge in the mountains. The outfitter went to check his ammo stash and found ONE 7mm Remington Magnum round. Jerry said, "Well, so much for the scope-check shot. Just get me within 200 yards." The guide did, and the stag died.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I recently sighted in a Savage 111 in 7 RM for my son. It is one of the package deals that came with a Nikon bdc scope. It was given to him by a friend and will be his truck gun in S. Texas this year.

It shoots moa easy with the Barnes Vortex 160gr ammo.

I was surprised at the velocity. They were running 3000fps plus over my pro chrono.

Terry
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've killed a truck load of deer with the 7mag. It's a lil much for short range deer, but that's my only beef! The internet is the first place I've seen negative remarks about it. I think it's gets a bad wrap, because once upon a time... every newbie that needed a new flat shooting big game rifle was lead to the 7mag. Sure as hell doesn't men they could shoot it long distance, but that shouldn't take anything from the 7mag itself. It does exactly what it was made for.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
given the bonded bullets available for such cartridges as the .270 Winchester and the .30-06, the 7 RM just offers very little over either of them.......it's still quite a round, but redundancy abounds in the shooting world......

As a matter of fact, the same can be said for most of the magnums and many would agree that if one needs more than a .30-06 then he should be giving close scrutiny to the venerable old .375 H&H.

I have a liking for my .264 WM too.....but in fact fully realize that it's value over the .270 Winchester is marginal at best.

It seems as I enter my seventies, it no longer is important to have forty guns in the gun cabinet.....thirty of them offering nothing more than filling of space.

I have absolutely nothing against the 7mm Rem Mag.....just can't find a reason for it once one owns a .30-06 and has a few reloading tools.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Like many I wanted to try out a 7RM and after all, I had a good selection of .284 bullets that I feed my 7x57s. Killed some whitetails, mulies and a black bear with it.

To this day I can't really put my finger on why I sold it. Perhaps I am just kind of a 7x57 toting shooter. grin

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The older you get, the more recoil comes into the decision making although there is something I learned a long time ago that is still not a topic of conversation in the gun rag trade, and that is muzzle blast.

I believe the tolerable vs the intolerable in muzzle blast is a larger factor than recoil in cartridge selection which is wrong in itself, as the rifle and barrel length as well as powder selection is part of that equation.

There is a "perceived" difference between a 22" hot loaded .30/06 and a more commonly moderately loaded 7mm RM with a 26" barrel. I cannot recall the volume of rifles I have used for each but it is a retained observation.

Another observation I made in the 80's culling was that using cup and core conventional bullets, the 7x57 factually did generate more shoot and drop results, than the 7mm RM performing in the same tasks side by side over a period of years.

For me, the value in the 7mm RM is to achieve 7x57 performance over longer ranges or just adding a little more wind stability and trajectory advantage over those longer ranges.

When a 7x57 is handloaded to 2800fps using 150gn Nosler Partitions, it is a hard sell to convince the experienced that more is necessary or any improvement.

Having said that, choices and circumstances now include the Remington Magnum and not the 7x57 in my rack. Either, or, is ok with me and the .30/06 is an axiom so I guest we are back to Gack?

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by vapodog
redundancy abounds in the shooting world......

Well said!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by grovey

It does exactly what it was made for.

YES, and it STILL does!!

Oh! Let's not forget it kicks too hard. cry Waaaaa, cry Waaaaa

And it's the 'dreaded' long action >> 1/2" longer smirk

NOTHING happened to the 7 RM.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

For me, the value in the 7mm RM is to achieve 7x57 performance over longer ranges or just adding a little more wind stability and trajectory advantage over those longer ranges.

Having said that, choices and circumstances now include the Remington Magnum and not the 7x57 in my rack.

The 'mouser' does kill just as good as the RM but the 7 RM will do it 'farther' and 'flatter' and with less drift because it is FASTER.

But never mind any facts.

Good post from experience > A G W !

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
7 mag kills stuff dead, but to me it is not as popular as it once was for a few reasons. In no particular order...

1. It has a belt
2. It doesn't do anything a .30/06 or similar can't get done with cheaper ammo and less bluster
3. With laser rangefinders and dial up scopes, a couple of inches extra of drop are meaningless. "Flat shooting" isn't needed as much as precise ranging and come-ups
4. It isn't .30 caliber

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The 'mouser' does kill just as good as the RM but the 7 RM will do it 'farther' and 'flatter' and with less drift because it is FASTER.

But never mind any facts.

If you listen to some of these guys enough, you'd swear velocity was a bad thing wink

Their most critical ballistic consideration is "panache" grin

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
bobknob,

Jerry Fisher decided he wanted to go to New Zealand and kill a big red stag a few years ago. He took his converted pre-'64 Model 70 7mm Remington Magnum, but decided he didn't want to hassle with ammo, so asked the outfitter if he could provide some. The outfitter said, "I've got plenty already in camp from previous hunters."

Jerry showed up and they drove all day to get to the outfitter's lodge in the mountains. The outfitter went to check his ammo stash and found ONE 7mm Remington Magnum round. Jerry said, "Well, so much for the scope-check shot. Just get me within 200 yards." The guide did, and the stag died.

Plenty of pressure on shooter AND guide on that hunt!

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Billy,

Many ".300 magnum minimum" recommendations occur because a lot of guides aren't very sophisticated about cartridges, bullets or even shooting game.

I went on a moose hunt in Alberta a few years ago, and the outfitter recommended that clients bring a minimum of a .300 magnum. I knew this outfitter well from several other trips for waterfowl and deer, and he isn't particular sophisticated about rifles. He doesn't even handload, and when buying ammo generally doesn't get into any more detail than bullet weight.

I drove up so there was no reason to check my rifle on the camp range upon arrival, but when my guide (not the outfitter) and I headed out the first morning, he asked what cartridge my rifle was chambered for. "Seven millimeter," I said, betting the guy would think it was a 7mm Remington Magnum. (I'd also met this guide before, and knew he was about as rifle-sophisticated as the outfitter. In Alberta, as in Montana, when you say a rifle is a 7mm the average hunter assumes it's a 7mm Remington Magnum. In fact many people don't know there IS another 7mm cartridge.)

There's a good moose population in that part of Alberta, and after looking at several bulls we found a suitable specimen on the second day, the range about 220 yards. I put a bullet through both lungs, about a third of the way up the chest, and the moose just stood there, as they often do, but after a few seconds it started walking VERY slowly toward some nearby brush, then stopped. The guide asked me to shoot again so it wouldn't get into the brush. I did, and the moose took a few more steps and keeled over, 19 yards from where it was first shot. (I doubt the second shot made any difference, but shooting again made the guide feel better.)

After the moose was gutted and loaded on a flatbed trailer for the trip back to the lodge, the guide said, "It didn't look like that 7mm of yours kicks as much as most of them." I said, "That's because it's a 7mm Mauser." He just nodded, and we continued on down the highway.

Back at lodge the guide told the story of how my little 7mm stopped the moose before it got into the brush. The outfitter said, "That's exactly what happened when I shot my moose with my .300 Winchester!"

John,

i always though the only 7mm was the 7x64 brenneke ...

Phil

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
No worries...the 7mmRM is still kills as good as the 30/06. Do you want more recoil than that?

Last edited by idahoguy101; 10/20/14.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Phil,

You mean the "stretched" 7x57?

Somehow I ended up with a box of Remington 7x64 ammo in my collection, and like any true rifle loony have had my eye out for a rifle to shoot it in. Ain't going to "build" one, or do a web-search all over the U.S., but if the right one shows up? Who knows.

Always kind of wanted a break-action in 7x65R too, whether kipplauf or drilling. Closest I've come, however, is my drilling in 6.5x57R, which isn't all that close.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (160user, 1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 1badf350, 21, 47 invisible), 2,214 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,765
Posts18,476,713
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.