Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
My Grandfather was a Gangster. He owned and operated breweries,speakeasys and gambling dens in the area. I know he had a Tommy Gun. He gave my Dad sporting shotguns and rifles that Grandma kept throwing away so he kept giving Dad the guns. Dad wised up and cached the guns and hunted after school
My father didn't have a Thompson until 1942, Pacific Theater of Operation, got some runners in Detroit in the family as well

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Grandpa had a 10ga. double of some sort, I've never heard the brand. It went away, someplace or other, before I was born.

Dad had a Stevens 86D .22 bolt-action tube-fed rifle, which I have now. It will still shoot as good as I can see, the bore is perfect, but no scope rail, and I'd refuse to D&T it. Dad also had an old JC Higgins (High Standard) 12ga. bolt gun, also tube fed, that kicks like a mule and hits about as hard, it's choked TIGHT.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't know the exact date but dad took a liken to shootin venison out of season rather than starve out. Weapon of choice was a Parker SxS 12 gauge, and the huntin grounds were out under the apple trees at night. One night he commenced to shootin a big old blacktail buck, but it charged him rather than dropping like it was sposed to. He bent the barrels of that old Parker SxS over the deers rack and the big buck veered off and kept going.

Last edited by Fireball2; 10/17/14.

LOL
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by blanket
Gramps has a pair of Ithaca 20 ga pistols, haven't seen em in years, IIRC they are double barrels, legal too. wink
funny how that stuff just disappears. A pair of Ithaca 20 ga's had a holster, hope you still have the leather

We buried Gramps in the Winter of 2012, one of his sons [my uncle] has those pistols, need to have him dig em out for a shoot, IIRC they say 'auto burglar' on 'em.
Buried my dad in 1982 old stuff is cool stuff

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Don't know the exact date but dad took a liken to shootin venison out of season rather than starve out. Weapon of choice was a Parker SxS 12 gauge, and the huntin grounds were out under the apple trees at night. One night he commenced to shootin a big old blacktail buck, but it charged him rather than dropping like it was sposed to. He bent the barrels of that old Parker SxS over the deers rack and the big buck veered off and kept going.

Hope you found that shotgun and it's resting in a place of reverence above the fireplace. wink

Trump Won!
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
And many times the 'best' stuff, no doubt it is when the histories are revealed. cool

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My grandmother was a pre teen girl during the depression. They lived in Blytheville Ark. Said they never knew there was a Great Depression cause they was always doing for themselves anyway.

She did say one indicator was my gr grandfather went from an 11 chair barber shop down to 5. She had three brothers, and everyday they were out together sharing a bolt action 22. They picked muscadines, fox grapes, gathered walnuts, pecans, killed squirrels and rabbits. She said the best blackberry picking was on an island out in the middle of the Mississippi River they'd have to swim to it. They were gettin .08cents a gallon for blackberries. Said it went up to .15cents and wooo they thought they was going to get rich. smile

All in all she said they didn't want for anything. Had chickens running around everywhere and more eggs than they could eat. Had a big garden, kept a few hogs and had a couple milk cows. I think they were probably doing well considering.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
We complain today, in reality we are nothing but over-fed swollen spoiled poosies, we have no problems. wink

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I remember as a kid in the 60's my grandfather had an old break action 20 gauge and an old single bolt action 22 LR. I don't know if that is what he used in the depression or if he had others back then.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
We have problems, they just have to be kept in perspective. Back then, a major problem would be the corn crop not coming in. Nowadays, the world is ending if the Internet is down for an hour.......... wink

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
All I know of -
Paternal Grandfather had a 30" barreled 97 Win 12 ga, and bought a Marlin 1893 30-30 and a Mossberg bolt action 22 from "some Russian trappers" The 30-30 is owned by one of my younger brothers, now.

Maternal Great- grandfather had a 2 digit SN Model 1905 Win SLR (which I have) and a Rem model 11 12 ga that one of my younger brothers has

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Cool stories Scotty, HH and MS, I only wish I were afforded the ability/luxury to listen to the stories ALL these old guns have to tell, wouldn't converse with humans for years. smile

Trump Won!
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Nothing came down from the grandparents, all deceased prior to my birth. My fathers parents gave him and his brother each a 22 single shot Hamilton rifle around 1910. Best Dad could remember was they cost approximately .75 cents each. That an a single shot 12 gauge was what got a large young family through the depression. Most small game was trapped as they had no money to waste on ammo. They lost their savings of $28.00 in the local bank when it went under.

Shotgun was sold to a friend of my father during the 70's. The Hamilton got run over by a farm wagon in the 40's. I restored it for Dad for fathers day in the 1970's. My oldest brother who is now deceased acquired it from Mom after Dad passed. I hope my niece still has it and plans to pass it on. Parents had few physical things left to pass after raising eleven children. But being the youngest of the group I sure have many good memories and stories to pass on.

I have several guns from good friends that I will be passing on to my children and grandchildren. GW

Last edited by oldtimer303; 10/17/14.

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Mothers father was a carpenter/farmer and had a Winchester 73 that had had the octagon barrel cut to about 17/18". It was a 32-20 and he said it was particularly good on turkeys. My other Grandfather was a railroad paymaster and he had a FACTORY L.C. Smith 12 gauge double barrel pistol. I remember it had a sawhandle grip. Have no idea what happened to it but I know he still had it in the war years. He moved after the war and I never saw it again. Neither one ever owned a handgun. I can't remember that my father EVER owned a gun of any type. He had an accident of some sort as a teenager and a friend was killed and as a result he just never owned a gun. However he was an excellant shot with anything which I credit with his service with the Marines in Nicarauga. His favorite weapon was a Thompson Sub-Machinegun. I watched him shoot one once at the National Guard Armory and he really was good. When we hunted squirrels he just used one of my Ruger 22 pistols that he particularly liked.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by ingwe
My dad did most of the gunning in the depression. Grew up in Claysville, Pa. where there were no deer at the time, so the small game caught hell. He used a Savage Model 219 single shot 16 ga. Cylinder bored.
He acted like it was pretty routine to get a small pile of game, give some to friends who needed it worse and take the rest home. He also raised chickens and rabbits, so they went into the pot.His father was one of the lucky ones....had a job as an electrician through the great depression, but the family still had to 'take in boarders' to make ends meet.
I still have the gun....

I still have the old Remington # 1 rifle that the old man in town gave my grand dad. Appears to be a work of frontier gunsmithing. Looks like someone took an old slow twists, octogon muzzleloading rifle barrel, cut off and threaded the muze end and fitted it to the action. There are two filled dove tails that look to me to be where old wedge tennons were on the bottom flat forward of the forearm. The "extractor"started out life as Mebbe a 8x32 bolt. And run into the breechblock just below the chamber. A groove was cut in the bottom of the chamber to allow the then filed sharp bolt to grab the bottom of a fired case and extract it when the breech block is opened. I should post photo! Perhaps tomorrow!

that "long tom" i mentioned was made by several manufacturers. It got it's name from a 36inch barrel. Now my grandfather who was about 5ft6 shortened the stock since he didn't have long arms which makes it look wierd. It disappeared years and years ago. Until one christmas some years back, and my nephew admitted he had it. His father had "borrowed" it and never gave it back. It was missing the firing pin, and extractor. The firing pin was not a problem, the extractor was. I was saved when numrich sent me a number of them in different sizes so i could find the one that worked. I got it back operational, and have never fired it.
The remington single shot has peep sights back and forth. One could use it to shoot the heads off of quail if one were of a mind too.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I'm nostalgic for dose days as I believe the late 40's, 50's and 60's were this countries golden age.

Because the industrial capacity of the rest of the world's factories had been bombed to oblivion and we where the only nation who could still produce anything.

At the end of WWII we owned 80% of the worlds industrial capacity. Yes, that was a gold age for us, but not because we were so great, but because everyone else was suffering from the most tragic war in the history of the world.

Antelope your words seem to come right out of the teacher's lounge. Yes, I'm generalizing and not all in academia are infected by liberalism. Not quite all. I was a teacher for a couple years before going leaving and going another direction.

We did not start WWII if you recall nor were we anxious to "impose imperialism" on others until Pearl Harbor was bombed into the mud. Another small detail often omitted in selective history's is that, post-war, we essentially rebuilt a good part of the world, meaning those that brought the war on in the first place.

No one said the US was or is perfect; But extending the Blaming America Apology Tour is just phony baloney.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
As far as we know...

a Marlin 30/30
Savage 410 Shotgun
Winchester Model 12 Shotgun in 12 Gauge....

PawPaw loved to eat Rabbit and Squirrel, his favorite two dinner fares...

I still have the 410, the 30/30 some A Hole stole out of my truck along with my camera one cold night in Minnesota..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We complain today, in reality we are nothing but over-fed swollen spoiled poosies, we have no problems. wink

Outside of some health calamity...you are right on.

Just got an old Stevens Favorite that belonged to a great uncle. Cross set it up for 22lr, as it was chambered for 32rf originally. Excited to have my boy use it when he's old enough.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by tjm10025

One of my grandfathers had a hardware store 16 ga. double during the Depression. That's about it.

I bought my first gun, a Savage single shot 410 , from the Fuller Brush Man. The gun and a box of shells was $6.00.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Winchester single shot bolt action M67 .22lr. Mostly, it was used to dispatch butcher animals, but it took a lot of squirrels, quail, doves, and rabbits, eliminated some soybean hogging chucks, the occassional fox or bobcat, chicken killing dog, egg stealing skunk, etc.

Last edited by squesh; 10/19/14.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (16penny, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1234, 01Foreman400, 1Longbow, 55 invisible), 2,090 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,020
Posts18,481,640
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.