Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Do any of you guys dabble in this sort of thing?

You know, like flint-napping, shelter building, hide tanning, making cordage or whatnot?

I'm starting to take an interest in these old skills for no other reason than they fascinate me.

It's kind of amazing what Indians could accomplish with a rock.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not as much as I would like. I have some suggestions for you, however. For flint-knapping, check out Primitive Archer. One of the better knappers out there right now is an archery from AL (Billy Berger). He ought to be easy to meet up with for you.

There are a wealth of resources out there, and a lot of charlatans as well.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Was sitting in the living room floor on a really nice rug the other night practicing primitive fire making skills during the game.

GF walked in and damn near left me based on her opinion of my crazies. Well bye!

Guess it was a little nuts BUT I am a genuine REDSKIN!!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Is pulling out a primitive skill?

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm guessing the loin cloth did it.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I remember some MS-DOS commands...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by isaac

Zing!

all my skills are pretty damned primitive. blush

but back to HAJ, no I don't, but yes I wish I did. Would love to have even better bushcraft than I have currently

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

That is an impossible skill. Leastwise, to master.

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

I'm on child number 3. Obviously I lack this skill.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have taught myself a little flint knapping. I don't do much of the other stuff you mentioned. The flint knapping is enjoyable, but it can be very frustrating.

Get someone to help you get started. Teaching myself was definitely the hard way to go and not something I would recommend or do again.

Watching you tube videos can help but most of the guys move so fast you can't follow their progress. They also don't tell you what they are doing and why. Still fun to watch and after you understand knapping, much of what they are doing will make sense.

Starting out with glass is a cheap and easy way to try this primitive skill without much investment. The tools are easy to make and protection is just gloves, leather scraps and safety glasses.

I'm not anywhere as good as I want to be, but if you are ever around Statesboro, GA, I can get you headed in the right direction and tell you some things to watch out for. Flying pieces of razor sharp flint or glass being two of the most important things.

My Brother and I also host a Georgia Knifemakers Guild meeting in February. We usually have a flint knapper come to the meeting to do demonstrations and teach the craft. If you are interested, the meeting is open to anyone and the cost is the price of lunch.
[Linked Image]

Harry
IC B3

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Number 3? Really?

I need to pay more attention. Congrats buddy!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by byc

That is an impossible skill. Leastwise, to master.

Variety is the spice of life

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
I remember some MS-DOS commands...

laugh

ok, ya got me on that one!

But you knew you would...

Turdlike, by default.
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Number 3? Really?

This is what a premium insurance plan does for you. I see a total of 5 because this young man is doing a great job!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mathsr
I have taught myself a little flint knapping. I don't do much of the other stuff you mentioned. The flint knapping is enjoyable, but it can be very frustrating.

Get someone to help you get started. Teaching myself was definitely the hard way to go and not something I would recommend or do again.

Watching you tube videos can help but most of the guys move so fast you can't follow their progress. They also don't tell you what they are doing and why. Still fun to watch and after you understand knapping, much of what they are doing will make sense.

Starting out with glass is a cheap and easy way to try this primitive skill without much investment. The tools are easy to make and protection is just gloves, leather scraps and safety glasses.

I'm not anywhere as good as I want to be, but if you are ever around Statesboro, GA, I can get you headed in the right direction and tell you some things to watch out for. Flying pieces of razor sharp flint or glass being two of the most important things.

My Brother and I also host a Georgia Knifemakers Guild meeting in February. We usually have a flint knapper come to the meeting to do demonstrations and teach the craft. If you are interested, the meeting is open to anyone and the cost is the price of lunch.
[Linked Image]

That's some nice work man!

So very cool. It's amazing just how sharp those rock shards can be.

GA is a long ways away for me, but if I'm ever in the area I'll certainly look you up.

I saw some instructional video's on You Tube and the guy said what you just said about glass being a good medium to practice on.

He had a variety of antler shards for the detail work and even with all of his experience he broke the stone. That was a relief to see.

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager
For flint-knapping, check out Primitive Archer. One of the better knappers out there right now is an archery from AL (Billy Berger). He ought to be easy to meet up with for you.

AWESOME tip man! Thanks a ton! I'll see if I can look him up.

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by byc
Was sitting in the living room floor on a really nice rug the other night practicing primitive fire making skills during the game.

What were you doing?

Bow drill?

Hand drill?

sparking flint?

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Number 3? Really?

14 yr old
2 yr old
one on the way.

Turdlike, by default.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
The way his bowl pick season is going, I'm assuming he unloaded 3 rounds from his shotgun.

Like I can talk!

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by byc
Number 3? Really?

This is what a premium insurance plan does for you. I see a total of 5 because this young man is doing a great job!!

Really need to work on that skill Bob mentioned.... eek

Turdlike, by default.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 54 invisible), 2,613 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,937
Posts18,498,866
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.