Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
Originally Posted by byc
Was sitting in the living room floor on a really nice rug the other night practicing primitive fire making skills during the game.

What were you doing?

Bow drill?

Hand drill?

sparking flint?

I had it all out. Flint, steel, rocks, bow. I think what freaked her out were the smoldering cotton balls and Q-tips from her vanity. crazy

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
yw! smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Matt puts up some cool stuff, no doubt.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by byc
Originally Posted by byc
Was sitting in the living room floor on a really nice rug the other night practicing primitive fire making skills during the game.

What were you doing?

Bow drill?

Hand drill?

sparking flint?

I had it all out. Flint, steel, rocks, bow. I think what freaked her out were the smoldering cotton balls and Q-tips from her vanity. crazy

laugh

That's an awesome mental picture!

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by UtahLefty

[Linked Image]

Priceless!

I hope that you're framing some of these pictures.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Matt is bad azz..! He commands other animals to go out and kill him some food. Let see Survivor man do that...

I've tried numerous times making a bow friction fire. I've failed because of my choices of wood.

I'm not giving up, just taking a break. I can make smoke like nobody's business, but getting that tiny coal going has been my downfall...

[b][color:#3333FF]Making fire[/color][/b] with flint, steel and char cloth is pretty cool, will impress the kids. Not too handy though cause you have to keep a bunch of clean jute in your backpack..

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by byc
Originally Posted by isaac
Number 3? Really?

I need to pay more attention. Congrats buddy!

This is what a premium insurance plan does for you. I see a total of 5 because this young man is doing a great job!!

A great job until that roof leaks on the ol' 'work bench'! wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Matt is bad azz..! He commands other animals to go out and kill him some food. Let see Survivor man do that...

I've tried numerous times making a bow friction fire. I've failed because of my choices of wood.

I'm not giving up, just taking a break. I can make smoke like nobody's business, but getting that tiny coal going has been my downfall...

[color:#3333FF]Making fire[/color][/b] [b]with flint, steel and char cloth is pretty cool, will impress the kids. Not too handy though cause you have to keep a bunch of clean jute in your backpack..

yes it is/does...that same day my 11 year old nephew had been here earlier. Hence, the reason for the in-house rainy day experiment. Cotton balls with Vaseline or alcohol work great. And I had some zip-loc bags of shaved magnesium so we're kicking butt.

Again, lesson learned was do not take stuff from her vanity. We were using her big soap holding scallop sea shells to throw sparks at alcohol soaked cotton balls. Not my brightest moment.

I tried bribing her with one of those 24HCF zippo's from Cal but major epic UBER failure.

I think we burned the rug too. I still deny that.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
laugh

I'm rolling here!

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Do any of you guys dabble in this sort of thing?

You know, like flint-napping, shelter building, hide tanning, making cordage or whatnot?

I'm starting to take an interest in these old skills for no other reason than they fascinate me.

It's kind of amazing what Indians could accomplish with a rock.

Yes, I used a slide rule today.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That's high tech.

Work an abacus doing differential equations and you'll have my attention. grin

Turdlike, by default.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GunGeek
...I used a slide rule today.

In 1967 VN we were still using (special) slide rules to calculate fire direction on the 105 Howitzers. Mid-tour we were issued FADAC, a huge electronic computer dedicated to fire direction. This might have had a fraction the power of today's pocket calculator.

A standard 3-ring binder is in the foreground, for size comparison.

[Linked Image]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Love the Ishi and Otzi stuff.
Ditto on Bush crafter USA. They have an excellent primitive forum also Dirttime.com

ANY book by Dave Wescott, Steve Watts and Paul Campbell is invaluable for the primitive skill set.
I just finished Paul Campbell's "The Universal Tool Kit".
I enjoyed it so much I bought another copy. Sadly
Paul just passed away recently. I can honestly say that Paul totally changed my perception on stone tools.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thank you krupp! I'll have to take a look at those books!

Real glad that I started this thread. You guys have hooked me up good!

Thanks!

Turdlike, by default.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I try to concentrate more on just efficently using my modern BOB. I don't have time for stuff that I'll never need. I mean, come on, where are all the STEEL tools, electrical wire, fencing wire, plastic bags, cups, metal cans, fishline, plastic sheeting, etc, which are strewn all over the lower 48, supposed to disappear-to, anyway? In the weeks that it would take you to make all the (very inferior) field-expedients, you could have gathered up the modern stuff AND been long-gone, on a mountain bike, inflatable raft, etc.

Last edited by squesh; 10/22/14.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yeah...

Like I said, I am not exploring this as a means of "survival". I'm doing it because the history and heritage fascinates me.

I'm well aware that the year is 2014...

Turdlike, by default.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'm well aware that the year is 2014...

A level of awareness that escapes many...

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
laugh

Well, I didn't say that I liked it... grin

Turdlike, by default.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BTW,as long as you got the neurons firing, think about a shelter built over a hammock between two trees.

It comes in handy.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
As a teenager, I about wore out the "Foxfire" series of books at the local library. I did all kinds of stuff shown in them, and especially enjoyed the chapters on snares, traps, tanning, etc. You've gotten me interested into seeing if I can find a set of them.......... wink

Last edited by HilhamHawk; 10/22/14.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

488 members (219 Wasp, 1badf350, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 58 invisible), 2,363 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,144
Posts18,502,772
Members73,991
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.