Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Was poking around the net and found that the Tiger tank in this movie is a real Tiger captured during WWII, and is apparently the only running Tiger tank still around.

Found this on the 'net....

http://www.warhistoryonline.com/articles/15036.html

There are many stories of tank men watching dumbfound as their shells bounced off the Tiger. One of the more famous stories is from the commander of a British Churchill tank who had an encounter with Tiger 131(the only running tiger tank in the world .it can be seen at Bovington tank museum UK) the story goes�.� We had not only heard a lot about the Tiger but had also seen its effect on the Churchill tanks. When we arrived at the railhead we saw the hulls of our tanks stacked up with massive holes punched through their armour, even at the thickest parts! As we advanced towards our objective we could see no sign of the enemy, but suddenly my fellow tank erupted in an enormous explosion. Blowing the crew from the turret and setting the tank on fire. Before I had time to locate the enemy tank my own Churchill was hit by an 88 shell from the Tiger which passed through the front of our tank and all the way through to the engine at the back setting it on fire. We managed to bail out with minor injuries, not like our poor friends in the other tank. Tiger 131 that had been firing at us was hit by another one of our tanks and the shell got stuck under its gun which stopped the gun from turning and the Germans abandoned their tank. The British had captured a Tiger.�

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd give about anything to ride/drive a tank. WWII armoured vehicles have always interested me.

Built many a model as a lad and a few as an adult.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Adventures - Tank Town USA
www.tanktownusa.com/adventures.php
Tank Driving Ages 15+$75.00/10 mins
Feel the Power! Tank Driving has never been more affordable! For $75.00 you will get personalized instruction on vehicle operation and then 10 minutes or 1/2 a mile of driving (whichever comes first!) at the controls thundering around our course. We have plenty of bumps, dips and humps to keep it fun the whole way through! Want a little longer behind the controls? You can extend your adventure for as long as you want with each additional 10 minutes of driving costing just $65.00! Have a group of 5 or more driving participants?

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
More...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_131

On 21 April 1943, the tank was knocked out and captured on a hill called Djebel Djaffa during the preliminary phases of the Battle of Longstop Hill which opened the way to the capture of Tunis. During the battle, Tiger 131 was hit by three shots from 6-pounders from British Churchill tanks of A Squadron, 4 Troop of the 48th Royal Tank Regiment.

A solid shot hit the Tiger's gun barrel and ricocheted into its turret ring, jamming its traverse, wounding the driver and front gunner and destroying the radio. A second shot hit the turret lifting lug, disabling the gun's elevation device. A third shot hit the loader's hatch, deflecting fragments into the turret.

The German crew bailed out, taking their wounded with them and leaving the knocked-out but still driveable and largely intact tank behind.Their identity and fate are unknown. The tank was secured by the British as they captured Djebel Djaffa hill. Tiger 131 was the first intact Tiger tank captured by British or American forces.

Tigers in North Africa. Who knew?

And fine marksmanship by them Tankers cool

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Holy awesome.

Did you see this part?

CAR CRUSHING AGES 15+$499.00

Why just drive a tank when you can crush a car with one? Get your heart pumping with 20 minutes of driving excitement and top it off by smashing a car. Nothing is more thrilling than hearing the hood crumple and the glass shatter as you flatten a car with 17 tons of military steel. Don't just stop with one pass though. We will make sure you hit the car from every angle to ensure that nothing is left untouched. A once in a lifetime experience!

This would make an awesome birthday or christmas present.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rattler
if you want to email them to [email protected] ill host them on my photobucket and get them up

Thanks, rattler! I'm going to send you some asap.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My nephew got to take ride in the last flying B-29 this weekend on a deal put on by the Confederate Airforce Event in Waco, TX. I think it cost him around $500 bucks. He got to set in one of the gun turrets and said it was worth every penny. I'm envious!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D
For my dad's 60th birthday we bought him an hour ride on the B-17 Flying Fortress Fuddy Duddy ...he was in heaven and to this day he says it was the best gift he ever received

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
My nephew got to take ride in the last flying B-29 this weekend on a deal put on by the Confederate Airforce Event in Waco, TX. I think it cost him around $500 bucks. He got to set in one of the gun turrets and said it was worth every penny. I'm envious!

CHL, That is awesome! I would definitely be down for that!
When I lived in St Pete, FL, the Confederate Air Force visit was one of the neatest events of the downtown area. They'd fly into Albert Whitted airport and put on a great show. The airport is right on the waters of Tampa Bay. Saw a lot of awesome planes at this show in years past, including A10's doing mock mock gun run maneuvers. I would not want to be on the wrong end of one of these.

Am I wrong, or was the Confederate Air Force forced to rename itself to a more politically correct Commemorative Air Force? I can't find any current information about the Confederate Air Force. (Ahhh, Yes. Never mind. I just answered my own question). If so, why don't we all just pull all our teeth and start sifting plankton.

Call me crazy, but are we now relegated to remembering only one bully group's version of history at this point in our country's storied evolution? I just don't get it.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
dvdegeorge, what a great gift! I bet your Dad was floating on air when he got off the plane!

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by local_dirt

CHL, That is awesome! I would definitely be down for that!
When I lived in St Pete, FL, the Confederate Air Force visit was one of the neatest events of the downtown area. They'd fly into Albert Whitted airport and put on a great show. The airport is right on the waters of Tampa Bay. Saw a lot of awesome planes at this show in years past, including A10's doing mock mock gun run maneuvers. I would not want to be on the wrong end of one of these.

Am I wrong, or was the Confederate Air Force forced to rename itself to a more politically correct Commemorative Air Force? I can't find any current information about the Confederate Air Force. (Ahhh, Yes. Never mind. I just answered my own question). If so, why don't we all just pull all our teeth and start sifting plankton.

Call me crazy, but are we now relegated to remembering only one bully group's version of history at this point in our country's storied evolution? I just don't get it.

Yep. They changed their name. More PC BS! They are a Texas based org. They have a great Museum out in Midland, TX! Also the only place in the USA where you can visit the home of two US Presidents and two State Governors all at one house / Museum!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
This is long, so digest at your leisure pace. My writing is sometimes a labor to read.

Your writing is just fine.

Thanks, bowsinger. I'm really trying hard to keep my opinions to myself and just tell the story.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Originally Posted by teal
One thing that didn't make sense to me - for Pitt to have fought the Germans from Africa to the last weeks of the war in a tank and to do it with his crew - seems like with the attrition in armor and that time line - he'd be better n E6. But I don't know the exacts of war time promotion or the rank structure of the Army in the ETO at the time.

My Grandfather fought the Germans in 6 different countries, starting in N Africa and ending up in Austria at the end of the war. He was an E-1 in England before going to Africa and an E-5 at the end of the war. Some people certainly gained rank fast but I think the most were lost in the shuffle and didn't get promoted very fast at all.
This sounds similar to my dad's history of service. He served in the infantry under Patton. Saw lots of combat. Started in Africa and ended up near the German border at war's end. Wounded twice in combat, survived a tank charge at Kasserine Pass, the only member of his squad to survive. Dad finished as a 1st Sergeant. He might have made it higher, but dad was no angel, and got in trouble more than a couple times. There was a jeep that got rolled over in Africa while chasing some critters around trying to shoot dinner, some confiscated German automatic weapons in Italy that were used to target some communication wires-only problem was they were Allied lines, not Axis. And then there was the little episode of fishing trout streams in France with hand grenades. Problem was there was Brass nearby that didn't appreciate their morning being interrupted by what could have been actual combat.......... Dad was no choir boy, but he did his job, as so many did. If given the chance, knowing my old man, I don't think he'd have behaved any differently. That's just what guys did to blow off steam.

gophergunner, you and I both know tough doesn't begin to describe these guys.

Dad got one of his fingers severed out in the sticks working on a big Caterpillar once. He managed to get the hydraulic cylinder open enough to recover his finger, and put it on ice in the truck. The doctors were Houdini's and got it back on.

He worked on heavy equipment when I was growing up. All sizes of Caterpillar's, Deuce and a half's, buses, trucks, you name it. He restored classic cars as a hobby. His last one was a fire engine red '57 Chevy Bel-Air, complete with fender skirts.

I used to go to "work" with him when I got the chance. I got paid, but I didn't do much work, really. He did the work, and I was just his gopher and toolman. But, it got us out into the wide open spaces together.

I rode through Detroit during the riots with him and his buddy "Snuffy" one time, delivering a couple trucks up that way. His advice, as usual, was "Don't get out of the truck". smile

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
If you haven't seen the movie don't read this:

I'd call it a rental. The battle scenes were excellent. But the movie dragged way too much. Piles and piles of unnecessary drama and they spent way too much time trying to demonstrate how cold and disorderly the soldiers could be. To the point that I didn't give a fugg when they were killed. Matter of fact, I was glad to see some of them go.

And the part that really left me not liking the movie is that they seemed to go out of their way to demonstrate how murderous the conquerors were, and ended the movie with a compassionate nazi letting one of ours live to see another day.

That schit really pissed me off.

Last but certainly not least... I can appreciate writers taking some liberties in movie making for the sake of making a climatic movie. But the ending of that film bordered on the absurd. I understand they were supposedly facing unseasoned troops, but gimme a fuggin' break. That standoff wouldn't have lasted 10 minutes. That is, if they didn't simply avoid the confrontation altogether.

I give it 2.5 out of 5.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
if you want to email them to [email protected] ill host them on my photobucket and get them up

hopefully i do this right for local_dirt...sorry for any odd spacing im copying directly from my email

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

27 - View of the path taken by the tank. Here you can see the

recessed house, (now a store) hiding the panzerfaust shooter. The sniper was in the three story building top right window for better observation of any escape attempt from the tank ambush. Dad (Smitty), blown up, no hearing, ran back up this street, with the sniper firing at him. Thankfully, Germany's worst sniper was shooting at Dad. (Naah, Just God looking after Smitty). The current white line (traffic control) marks the site of the tank's destruction. Note the German woman---

Same as 13 April, 1945 except that one was sweeping the steps a few feet closer to the camera.
[Linked Image]

View from the tank's approach to the ambush site before being hit.

Smitty at the site of the German woman who jumped inside the house and

the panzerfaust gunner fired on the tank. Note in the picture, the steps from the building up the street from the shooting would have required the tank to swerve to the left just before being hit, this would have gotten the tank a few feet farther away from the shooter and less likely to self injury to the shooter.
[Linked Image]

Current road signs at the site of the tank being hit... The tank

was coming down Hirschgasse Deer Lane, or Deer
Path

[Linked Image]

Smitty standing in the tank's route as it came down the hill

toward Dad�s ambush site. From this view, from the tank commander, you cannot see the recessed building from which the anti-tank shooter emerged. The German woman sweeping the sidewalk would have come into view as the tank went down this narrow street. Note that the street is so narrow, the tank cannot swing around its main gun.

[Linked Image]

Smitty at site of tank being hit. Good view of the Sniper Building

and the recession of the Nazi tank killer.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/alb...%20photos/MVC-031S_zps7ceb66a5.jpg[/img]

View of where the tank would have been coming down the street.

White line (traffic warning) is the location of where the tank was hit. By

this photo the tank came from the left (end of the street) and turned

right down the street in the vicinity of where the car is in the picture

up the street to the left side of the street.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/alb...%20photos/MVC-032S_zpse7b7ed38.jpg[/img]

Closeup view of the cobblestones at the location of the steps from

which the street sweeper and the shooter operated. At that time (1945)

this building
was a private residence. Now, it is a store. You can
see

the different stones, now versus then. The steps would have come directly into the street. You can see where they would have been before

renovation at some later date.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/alb...%20photos/MVC-033S_zps4d53e376.jpg[/img]

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
bump for the evening crowd since i added local_dirts pics to go with his story

Last edited by rattler; 10/22/14.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

hopefully i do this right for local_dirt...sorry for any odd spacing im copying directly from my email

[Linked Image]

Thanks for the efforts rattler, good stuff!

This photo captures the young, cocky but tired and gaunt look of so many soldiers tangled in that endeavor.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'd give about anything to ride/drive a tank. WWII armoured vehicles have always interested me.

Built many a model as a lad and a few as an adult.

http://www.armyjeeps.net/armor1.htm

http://www.milweb.net/classifieds.php?type=1

https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motor...rs-tanks-for-the-memories-135659950.html

Last edited by ConradCA; 10/23/14.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
local dirt,

Really cool pics and story.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Not realizing there were two threads I posted on the first, the "Fury" thread. Anyway, I thought it was a very good movie; as they say, on several levels.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

481 members (007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 40 invisible), 2,242 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,394
Posts18,469,959
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.