Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I just had a look through my journal tonight. Did a little tabulating. Of the 114 big game animals that I have taken so far, fully one third have been running or fast moving shots. My farthest first shot at an unwounded animal was under 400 yards. The average kill distance was not calculated, but I would estimate just over 100 yards. I am from Saskatchewan, with plenty of opportunity to fling bullets at animals waaay out there. My personal experience is far different than a lot of what I read about on this website and many others.

I am a little mystified by all the emphasis on long range shooting at North American big game. In my experience, it is nearly always preferable to stalk closer, not shoot further. It is also always preferable to shoot at a standing animal from a rest, but in real hunting situations being able to accurately hit a moving animal is often a huge advantage in thick cover. But what I see on these discussion forums is almost all about long range rifles, cumbersome bipods, super high power scopes, and little discussion about real field marksmanship, where an animal is close, alert, and may be moving out. I have the advantage of my own shooting range on my own property, but many suburban shooting ranges apparently do not even allow offhand or other field shooting positions for practise, just from a bench. Rifles and shooters are praised for their grouping ability, not the rifles handling characteristics. Shooters are assessed for their ability to make tiny groups from a bench rest, not whether they can hit the target quickly and decisively from a variety of field positions.

It is very different here from Germany, where I have hunted a few times, and South Africa, where I have hunted only once. German hunters know how to hit moving game, and practise field shooting with and without a rest. They even have "shooting cinemas" to simulate shooting running game on driven hunts. They have a lot of professionalism and take pride in good shots and a low incidence of wounding. In Africa a hunter pays the trophy fee for any animal hit, whether or not it is brought to bag. Interesting how that pretty much eliminates all the long range attempts from the field. People don't tend to do so much long distance shooting if there are personal consequences for a bad shot and wounded game.

I have no quarrel for those who really enjoy the challenge of long distance shooting. Some are even pretty good hunters. But I think far too many beginning hunters have been given bad advice and are limiting themselves with specialized equipment meant for long range sniping at stationary game. I have had several guests at our elk camp in recent years who could not quickly take a shot at a close elk because they were carrying too much scope magnification, too long and cumbersome a rifle, and a cartridge that kicked them too much. When the shot was presented, they were worried about estimating the range, trying to deploy bipods, and all the other BS that doesn't apply if the game is within 300 yds and you know something about quickly taking a good field rest or shoot from sticks. Just some food for thought. Many of us hunt with different styles and with the equipment that appeals to us. No argument with that. I just have to chuckle at all the newbies who want to be able to shoot big game from 400 to 600 yds away, when that is a very rare occurrence, and requires specialized equipment and skills that aren't applicable to 95% of real hunting. I think the marketers have taken over far too much of our equipment and skill decisions. Just my observation, flame on if you want.

Last edited by castnblast; 10/23/14.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
OCD?

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Success comes from experience. Experience comes from failure.

I don't think young hunters being unprepared for realities in the field is anything new. The good ones will adapt, the bad ones will stop hunting and post a lot on the campfire forum.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

I don't think young hunters being unprepared for realities in the field is anything new. The good ones will adapt, the bad ones will stop hunting and post a lot on the campfire forum.

15,000 posts and up qualify for that ineptness...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
call it what you want..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
On the ground at twenty paces with a longbow...

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like to get as close as I can...and then get closer.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just another tool in the kit, the ability to shoot long. As is the ability to shoot well offhand, or at moving targets, or with a bow, muzzleloader, or spear. Some folks seek out opportunities to use specific tools. Some folks equip themselves with as many tools as they can to hunt what's available to them. It's up to us grownups to each know what we can and cannot do ethically. I've killed critters with my .300RUM from bow range to ranges that make some squirm. If you can shoot long, odds are you can still shoot short. Vice versa, not so much.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by antlers

+1 on that!!!
That was what the Old Man, my granddad, taught me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antlers

That (should) be the definition of hunting.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wanna shoot a kudu, in SA

from here

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
All depends on who's doing the defining.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
or the filming and we'll leave it at that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
I wanna shoot a kudu, in SA

from here

Now you're talking....lol.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You take the shot that is presented or you go home empty handed. If that means you need to shoot 300-400 yards, deploy your bipod, and wait for the animal to get into a good shooting lane across a canyon, swale, ravine, or creek from where you are, then I'm guilty as charged.
As said above- just another tool in the bag. Of course, it takes practice and decent equipment (not necessarily anything exotic)and the proper mindset. Not everyone who carries a rifle can or will make the long shots just like many guys can't hit a running animal if it was to run over him.

Nothing unethical about taking a long shot if you have practiced enough to make it with near certainty and you can't stalk any closer- a fairly common occurence in many areas around here. If you don't have the skill to make the shot, don't take it. Only you can decide if that means you or not.

Bob

Last edited by Sheister; 10/23/14.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
114 big game animals taken so far - vs. my, uh, do squirrels count?

My hunting friends who are gearing up for long range shots do so only because it is the only shot possible. The area they hunt is rugged and steep, with long canyons and high ridges. The brush is thick. They were very excited at seeing a black bear at over 400 yards and have been practicing for that opportunity.

But they still carry 30-30s for the majority of their hunts. And I practice at the range until I can get away to that rugged brushy public land.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I don't advocate taking long range shots just for the sake of taking a long range shot. I believe in getting as close as practical, but there are times when a long shot is justified. And having the skills to do so can be a good thing.

To me the only real hunting/stalking skills are those being used by guys who consistently take game at under 25 yards, usually with archery gear. Most big game can be fully aware of your presence out to at least 100 yards, sometimes as close as 50 without being alarmed.

Probably 1/2 the deer I've shot have been taken between those ranges and looking right at me when I pulled the trigger. I don't think it takes any more skill as a hunter to take game at 50 yards than it does at 500. It takes a lot more skill as a shooter at 500 though. While I cannot do either, my hat is off to those who can "CONSISTENTLY" take game at archery ranges, and those guys who can "CONSISTENTLY" take game at 500+ with a rifle. Both have highly developed skills that require dedication and practice.

It is the guys who brag about never taking shots over 100 yards while setting in an elevated stand overlooking a pile of corn that are neither hunters nor shooters.

If I hit a deer at 500 it is more luck than skill, same with a running shot and I've never connected the times I've archery hunted. But give me a standing shot at around 200 yards with a rifle and I feel pretty good about my chances. I'd pull the trigger at 300 or a bit farther with a good rest, but that is my limit. I guess I suck as both a hunter and shooter.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I just can't see going on a rant, or beating up other hunters on an ethics or skills charge, because all of them don't hunt the same way as you do.
Geez.

Sam......

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I just can't see going on a rant, or beating up other hunters on an ethics or skills charge, because all of them don't hunt the same way as you do.
Geez.

Yeah, this topic gets kind of old around here. I'm not smart enough to tell others what they should or shouldn't do, how they should or shouldn't hunt....

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted By: Mannlicher
Geez.

Yeah, this topic gets kind of old around here. I'm not smart enough to tell others what they should or shouldn't do, how they should or shouldn't hunt....

This is funny. The original poster wants to tell others what not to do while not wanting others telling him what to do.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 57 invisible), 2,530 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,457
Posts18,471,135
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.