Print Thread
Hop To
S
squesh Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
as have bullets made of solid aluminum. I've cast them out of "non lead solder" which can deliver a .45 bullet that weighs 103 grains (155 gr Lee swc mold) Then a lathe, or even just a 1/2" drill can be used to hollobase and hollowpoint them. the .45 bullet can thus be reduced to 80 grs in weight. The giant hollowbase cavity allows you to add lots more powder to the load. This is needed, cause 7 grs of Bullseye won't even cycle the slide of a GM that has a 20 lb recoil spring. :-)

YOu can also use a propane torch to melt the lead cores out of jacketed bullets. That's how magsafe got his start, you know. A 230 gr .45 jacket, full of epoxy instead of lead, weighs 60 grs and is easily and safely driven to 2100 fps in a standard .45. Not only were there no pressure signs, only Bullseye had enough "octane' to move the slide. other powders, a caseful of them would not cycle the gun with such lw bullets.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can we have a video tutorial?

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How about a reason why anyone would want such a thing? I tend to go heavy with handgun bullets to get the penetration needed from what is always a compromise (handgun VS rifle) firearm anyways. Even my rarely carried (I much prefer to pack my 10mm 1911 if at all possible) 380 gets fed hardcast 100gr FN bullets.

I am not thinking that these superlight bullets would not fare well in the FBI or any other LEO/personal protection barrier or penetration tests.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
How's the penetration on insulated hoodies?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Non-lead solder as in plumbing is typically almost all tin. Zinc would be better, it's brittle so would tend to break up. But it is difficult to cast, injection molding for something like a bullet.

But if you want two wound channels why not shoot 'em twice with a regular bullet and penetration be damned? The old fashioned double-tap.

I believe Magsafe started with a jacket filled with bird shot solidified with epoxy, not just epoxy. Did that just to see if I could, figured it was a waste of time beyond that. If it won't penetrate far through an apartment building wall would it penetrate enough otherwise? Fluffy down jackets, more layers under that, arms in front of vitals, non-optimal angles, light barricades, etc., etc.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hmmmm, non lead solder is aluminum? I'll be darned, you learn new things here everyday. crazy

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 54 invisible), 2,616 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,937
Posts18,498,866
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.