Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cropslx
I think I am just going to take my Nikon Monarch off my muzzle loader for now. I have a Burris I can but on the muzzle loader. I haven't received the rifle yet, so I can get a feel for it and see where I want to go with it. Thanks for the reply. I have heard GREAT things about the Leupold 6x42 and seriously thinking about getting one. How much does the Mod 1 cost?

Given quality & reliability of modern variables I do not see reason to get 6x42. What is or dare I say ARE the advantages?

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Slavek
I think I am just going to take my Nikon Monarch off my muzzle loader for now. I have a Burris I can but on the muzzle loader. I haven't received the rifle yet, so I can get a feel for it and see where I want to go with it. Thanks for the reply. I have heard GREAT things about the Leupold 6x42 and seriously thinking about getting one. How much does the Mod 1 cost?

Given quality & reliability of modern variables I do not see reason to get 6x42. What is or dare I say ARE the advantages?

These are not absolutes - I argued against this concept until I tried it for myself and found the scope works very well on a hunting rifle....

1) The FX3 6x42 tracks reliably, holds zero, returns to zero.

2) You've got VX3 quality glass/coatings, but 2 fewer lenses. This makes the scope brighter and clearer. Very impressive low light performance.

3) 6x may not be everyone's ideal, but it flat works. You can easily jump shoot deer at close 20-30 yards or engage targets to 500 with precision. This point always seems to start people to arguing, with a noticeable split - the people that have used it knows it works and works well, those that haven't give a bunch of reasons why it doesn't. Often comparisons are made to using one of their variables at 6x - it's not the same...

4) Very generous eye relief. This is a tremendous benefit on a hunting rifle where various contortions and awkward positions may be required.

5) Constant magnification and fixed parallax adjusment mean never getting caught with your pants down. I know, I know, turn the parallex to 200, magnification to 5-6x, practice always doing that and you won't have that problem. Except things keep happening... About the third time I tried to shoot a coyote at 20 yards on 16x I decided I would try a fixed 6.

You can argue theses points to death and never settle it. Most people that try a FX3 6x42 find a permanent home for it on at least one of their rifles. Try one for yourself, you might be surprised. It's one of the lowest risk choices you can make because used FX3's in good condition generally sell very quickly on the classifieds for nearly new prices - if you don't like it you will be able to get most of your money back out of it.

David

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Canazes9

These are not absolutes - I argued against this concept until I tried it for myself and found the scope works very well on a hunting rifle....

1) The FX3 6x42 tracks reliably, holds zero, returns to zero.

2) You've got VX3 quality glass/coatings, but 2 fewer lenses. This makes the scope brighter and clearer. Very impressive low light performance.

3) 6x may not be everyone's ideal, but it flat works. You can easily jump shoot deer at close 20-30 yards or engage targets to 500 with precision. This point always seems to start people to arguing, with a noticeable split - the people that have used it knows it works and works well, those that haven't give a bunch of reasons why it doesn't. Often comparisons are made to using one of their variables at 6x - it's not the same...

4) Very generous eye relief. This is a tremendous benefit on a hunting rifle where various contortions and awkward positions may be required.

5) Constant magnification and fixed parallax adjusment mean never getting caught with your pants down. I know, I know, turn the parallex to 200, magnification to 5-6x, practice always doing that and you won't have that problem. Except things keep happening... About the third time I tried to shoot a coyote at 20 yards on 16x I decided I would try a fixed 6.

You can argue theses points to death and never settle it. Most people that try a FX3 6x42 find a permanent home for it on at least one of their rifles. Try one for yourself, you might be surprised. It's one of the lowest risk choices you can make because used FX3's in good condition generally sell very quickly on the classifieds for nearly new prices - if you don't like it you will be able to get most of your money back out of it.

David

+1 Not really a Leupold guy, but, that FX3 has a permanent home on one of my main hunting rigs. Hard to argue with a scope that good.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

The quality of modern variables IS THE reason to use a fixed 6 Leupold.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
not sure how anyone could not be a leupold fan, for what you get out of the VX-3 line for the money you pay its tough to beat. In that price range, vortex makes a great scope in the viper hs-t line, but its heavier than the leupold, Meopta makes a great scope as well.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I personally have the VX2 2-7x33 CDS on two Rem Model 7's, and really like it for that application.

I have VX3 3.5-10's on several other "full size" rifles, and I don't feel the VX2 is giving up much at all to the VX3 personally.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Leupold VX-2 2-7x33 mounted as low as you can get it. You don't need dial up for 300 yards.

Don't ruin the handling of your Rem Model 7 with some high magnification variable scope. Keep it light and simple. Even a good quality 4x is hard to beat.

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A 6 power will work just fine. I had one on my 270 for years and I liked it fine. These days though I have gone to mostly VX3 4.5-14 Leupolds. I like the option of the variable power, and I have to admit that the real value of the 14 power is more for bench shooting at 100 yards and not needing a spotting scope. I will, on occasion, use the 14 power on a long shot when I want to utilize the Varmint Hunter reticle.

But it really all comes down to what YOU want and not what we suggest.

C
Cropslx Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Members are recommending the fX-3 6x42. I have always heard good things about this. Would this being a 42mm be big for this smaller rifle?

Thanks again folks for taking your time making suggestions. I am really considering a Leupold where I was originally not considering it at all!!

Last edited by Cropslx; 10/27/14.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I am not a 6X fan. It doesn't work for me at close ranges. I have tried and gave up. I like a variable as it has the advantage of making range work more fun and easy plus the ability to turn it down to a low- wide field of view- setting for walking about. My 260 wears a VX3 2.5-8 x32 with a B&C reticle. I have shot it out to 500 using the hash marks. Last time I went to steel at 500 yds it made a 3", 3-shot group. I don't intend to shoot further than that with a Mtn rifle.

If you don't want a Leuplod, consider the Weaver Grand Slam 2-8x36 or a Nikon Monarch 2.5-10

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B3

C
Cropslx Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Any loss of low light hunting time from say a 40mm objective?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have owned 3 Leupold 6Xs and sold them all. The 42mm is excellent. The 36mm not nearly as good IMO.

I simply do not like being "stuck" on 6X for most of my hunting. I use low power more often than high power and generally prefer a 2-7X or 3-9X and at the very largest, a 3.5-10x40 Leupold on my bolt guns.....

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have the 40mm on most of my bigger scopes and feel that it is fine until you get into heavy magnification. 50mm glass makes a lightweight rifle look goofy

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
The first requirement of a scope is to work- stay zeroed, and if needed adjust correctly, consistently. On this regard the 6x42 Leupold, and even more so the 6x SWFA have it all over a Leupold variable. Every other feature is for naught if it doesn't do those things.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really don't get why several people are pushing a 6 power Leupold so hard. It's Ok, but get a variable and shoot at whatever power you want. As for variables having wandering POI's, I haven't had problems with that. I have one fixed power scope left, and it's in a box somewhere in my workshop.

Do we see scads of people ditching their variables and going retro to fixed power scopes? No, of course not.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Leupy is a great scope, if it fits the bill.

A 20oz. SS scope on a LW rifle like said M7 leaves much to be desired IMO....

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by 603Country
I really don't get why several people are pushing a 6 power Leupold so hard. It's Ok, but get a variable and shoot at whatever power you want. As for variables having wandering POI's, I haven't had problems with that. I have one fixed power scope left, and it's in a box somewhere in my workshop.

Do we see scads of people ditching their variables and going retro to fixed power scopes? No, of course not.

How do you ascertain that you don't have a wandering POI? Serious question.

As for why the 6x over variables of the same ilk-

More durable
More reliable
Holds zero better
Adjusts more consistently
Better eyebox
High enough power to be capable at medium range (600 yard +/-)
Low enough power combined with eyebox/eye relief to be fine in the woods

Originally Posted by 2muchgun
The Leupy is a great scope, if it fits the bill.

A 20oz. SS scope on a LW rifle like said M7 leaves much to be desired IMO....

I've the exact combo- M7 with SS. It's skookum.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
VX3 3.5-10x40 regular duplex, or Cameraland's Meopta 3.5-10x44 w/ duplex would fit the bill IMO. You don't need schitttt hanging off your reticles for shots out to 300 yards.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Despite all the Leupy love in this thread, I'd consider putting a Bushnell Eite on it. I love the one on my Encore .260.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you say so. I'll pass.

May I ask your age?

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

58 members (6mmbrfan, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 899 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,119
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.