Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Sounds like y'all had a good hunt, and in a beautiful place. Thanks for sharing the story and pictures.
Down in Florida, we don't, of course, have Elk or mountains. I love to see how it's done way out West.

In my 20+ years of elk hunting, this was the first time I've done it that way. Our usual elk hunt is in a wall tent or I'll drag my pop-up trailer if the party is small. This one we had a log home rented and watched the world series in the evenings on satellite TV, just like the boys down in TX.

The elk are still plenty wild and I would hazard a guess that if I set up a natural blind and sat for 8 days straight for 12 hours a day I'd probably have the same success. The private ground gives you few other options than to sit and wait. Usually after a few hours of sitting, I'm up crashing green timber until the evening sit.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I wish I lived in Colorado so I could pay someone to hunt on their ranch and sit in a blind all day and drive a truck up to the critter I shot. It's so wild and free up there and different than here.

It's very different, ask the guys who drive out from the east coast to hunt the mountains here. And you're assuming he paid because that's how they do it in TX. That's not how most do it here.

And btw, do you work hard at this?

1-It ain't different. Sitting in a blind and loading deer up in a truck is the same everywhere. Don't try to make it out to be more than what it is, you'll only embarrass yourself.
2-I don't need to ask the folks from the East, I can ask myself because I've done it. And it dang sure wasn't on a ranch with pickup trucks.
3-I don't care how most do it, this was a paid ranch hunt. Nothing more or less.

BTW-No. Observing and pointing out the obvious is something that comes naturally to me.

I'm glad WCC had a great hunt with his family. It wouldn't be so amusing if it weren't coming from a typical "Colorado is so great we do it differently here and nobody else understands how awesome it is" guy.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I wish I lived in Colorado so I could pay someone to hunt on their ranch and sit in a blind all day and drive a truck up to the critter I shot. It's so wild and free up there and different than here.

It's very different, ask the guys who drive out from the east coast to hunt the mountains here. And you're assuming he paid because that's how they do it in TX. That's not how most do it here.

And btw, do you work hard at this?

1-It ain't different. Sitting in a blind and loading deer up in a truck is the same everywhere. Don't try to make it out to be more than what it is, you'll only embarrass yourself.
2-I don't need to ask the folks from the East, I can ask myself because I've done it. And it dang sure wasn't on a ranch with pickup trucks.
3-I don't care how most do it, this was a paid ranch hunt. Nothing more or less.

BTW-No. Observing and pointing out the obvious is something that comes naturally to me.

I'm glad WCC had a great hunt with his family. It wouldn't be so amusing if it weren't coming from a typical "Colorado is so great we do it differently here and nobody else understands how awesome it is" guy.

Sitting in a blind and loading elk into a truck isn't the norm here. That was the point. It was a unique hunt, probably the only one in my life that will be like that. I've killed 14 elk and only two have gotten loaded into a truck in one piece. My last bull before lat week took two full days to pack out of the canyon I stupidly shot him in. And I have to disagree on one point. This was a hunt on a ranch, not a ranch hunt - and their IS a difference. No feeders, no spotlights, and nobody drinking light beer.

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 10/29/14.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
And as for driving up to an elk and loading it into a truck? I recommend it.

Yeah, I want to do that some day......good one!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by eh76
That first pic in you OP is beautiful!

I wish I could take credit. Out of 150 or so pictures that was the only one worth a damn. Pure dumb luck.

[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hunting a water hole and alfalfa field are drastically different than hunting a corn feeder, I'm sure.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Lost on the person who can't see the difference between bait and habitat.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The alfalfa was natural habitat, on a cattle ranch? Yall just stumbled upon some naturally growing afalfa that just happened to be in front of the blind yall were hunting and watched it until a deer found it too?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not knocking your hunt. I did something similar with my kids last weekend. I just don't see why you can't say, "I hunted like they do in Texas and I enjoyed it."

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
So, anyway...sounds like a good time. Congrats!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Buckskin
My ranch is located smack dab between "Spanish Peaks" and "Basque Del Oso" WLA's, or 8 miles N.E. of Stonewall, CO.
Beautiful country. I climbed West Spanish Peak last month...fantastically beautiful mountain. I love the area down there. Those volcanic dikes are very unique. The Spanish Peaks Wilderness Area is some really fantastic country. I envy you for owning average where you do.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey Smokepole.....
You know what we don't have here? Corn feeders, tower blinds, deer leases, and $10,000 racks.

Alfalfa fields, ground blinds and day hunts are obviously different.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've killed a lot of big game in Texas. I was fortunate to be able to hunt a high dollar ranch in Lavaca County for several seasons. I could never afford to hunt a ranch like that...my brother got me on the place and took care of my end. The first time I went I killed a buck that scored 163 and 7/8. After the morning hunt, we came back to the ranch house and ate a biga$$ breakfast. Then hunted in the afternoon, and at night we ate biga$$ steaks, or fajitas...we always cooked outside on the grill. And we always had a big fire going in the fire ring. We drank good whiskey every evening. We slept in good beds, and were able to take hot showers. We had some great camaraderie outside around that big fire that we always had going. We ate great food, drank great whiskey, shot some good deer, and had an absolute blast all the way around. I loved every second of it.
I've done more hunting on my own though, in rough country, with no amenities at all...and I've loved it too...moreso than any other kind of hunting I've done.
But those high-dollar hunts in Texas were damn fun to me, and if I could afford it, I'd do a lot more of it...in addition to the kind of hunting that I normally do.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I appreciate the story, pictures and loved the experience you had. Contrats on a good time with the family.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm not knocking your hunt.

Sure you are, you said he was hunting "like they do in Texas."

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
bwahahaha

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not knocking your hunt.

Sure you are, you said he was hunting "like they do in Texas."

The truth hurts, don't it?

Tell me more about how there are no blinds or leases or bait in Colorado.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
[Linked Image]

I agree, beautiful pic!! Congrats on your hunt!

Eric

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm not knocking your hunt. I did something similar with my kids last weekend. I just don't see why you can't say, "I hunted like they do in Texas and I enjoyed it."

Not exactly like they do in Texas. I didn't shoot it in the ass...

[Linked Image]
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You are thinking of uber washington hunts!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (Anaconda, 35, 33sixSS, 907brass, 300_savage, 7 invisible), 1,452 guests, and 956 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,412
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.