Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Itasca Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hi all, I don't pot that much. I'm just looking for some thoughts.

We in No. MN had a terrible winter and with wolves having a field day with the deer, I'm not sure what to do for opener. I own 40 acres of good deer habitat right out the front door. I have seen one nice buck in all my travels on the property.

On the other hand there is a huge amount of state and county land across the lake from us. I have taken the time to scout the area on several times on my way back from hunting ducks.
It is a long way (2 miles) in from the nearest road. There is some good sign (rubs, scrapes and quite a few does

My wife and I are thinking of heading across the lake for opener rather than hunt my land that I know we can take a buck.

Any thoughts? There are no doe permits available for the entire No. MN.

I would prefer to hunt our land. At the same time I would like to save our deer on our land for the future. Thoughts?

We both have wolf tags.

GB1

Itasca Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Sorry, I guess it is more of an ethical question. I have been trying to improve my property for deer and partridge. I am just trying to take some of the heat off our property by heading across the lake to some state land. Ethical?

Take some pressure off our land. Save the deer here, take one across the lake?
We still will hunt the wolves (devils) on our property.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You ain't saving much on 40 acres, deer move a bit more than that. Not sure how big the lake is but deer you kill over there could be deer that might stroll through your property.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
He might be saving them the walk, then.

Itasca Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Steelhead
You ain't saving much on 40 acres, deer move a bit more than that. Not sure how big the lake is but deer you kill over there could be deer that might stroll through your property.

The lake is 5 miles long. I am on one side and the new area is straight across from me. I guess if the deer were to hoof it would be close to 12 miles from my property. Our lakes are fairly large up here. If there is ice (good ice w/snow cover it would be easy to cross). They do it all the time in the winter. The wolves love it when they do that when there is deep snow
(like last winter). Last year was a bloodbath as far as snow depth and the GD wolves.

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The deer on 40 acres ain't living and dying on 40 acres. Unless there is no one in a few mile radius of you not hunting, you aren't saving much.

That doesn't mean don't go play someplace else.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Like Steelhead said, you are probably hunting the same deer in both places, for the most part.

Figure out their habits, where they eat and where the does bed. Hunt those places or a place in between those places, regardless of who owns them.....

Itasca Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Sorry, I find it hard to believe that 12 miles by the hoof that I am hunting the same deer with a large lake in the middle. I have been setting trail cams in some of the good area (across the lake) and have seen some okay bucks that I have NOT seen on the land that we hunt.
I respect all opinions and I hope I and my young bride (35 years) do well and will report back.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry, I should have read better. Was thinking 5 miles, not 12.

When the rut is on, 5 miles is nothing for a mature buck.

Either way, regardless of whose property, find where the does eat and sleep, or better yet, find a spot between 2 doe bedding areas, and once rut kicks in, you will find a buck.......

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You're missing what I'm saying.

IC B3

Itasca Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Sorry if I am missing something. My apology's, You have always seemed to be a straight shooter.
Across the lake is easier said than done. This is a No MN lake not a pothole. There is a long time hunting party on the south end of the lake.

I am just keep thinking I should suck it up on my own property or branch out. I KNOW there are some survivor deer across the lake. That simple.

BTW, I am a lurker and enjoy your pic's. I like your dogs and your view with a pistol and knife in the foreground.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you know you can take a buck on your land, then that is where I would hunt.....

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Itasca
Owning 40 acres does not give you ownership of the deer.
If you have people hunting the land bordering yours they may shoot the buck you seem to think is yours.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My neighbor owns 120 acres and does not hunt or allow hunting on his land.
He knows what will happen to those deer
the instant they find themselves on my property. He also understands that unless the deer attend a Baptist Church
they cannot be saved.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by whelennut
Itasca
Owning 40 acres does not give you ownership of the deer.
If you have people hunting the land bordering yours they may shoot the buck you seem to think is yours.

^^^^this^^^^
On 40acres you can't save him.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You have as much right to the deer on the state land as any other MN hunter. Give it a shot, you can always go back to the 40 acres you own.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
No ethical problem at all. Public land I assume you are a tax paying member of the public. Good luck what ever you decide

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Hunt where you feel like hunting and take what you feel like taking.

You aren't going to save the deer on your property and increase the 'herd' by not shooting a buck on 40 acres.

As I've said, if there is no hunting in 2000+ acres around you then you might just see him next year.

Of course there is the wildcat in that equation, WOLVES.

'Your' buck on 40 acres runs himself crazy trying to [bleep] every splittail within a 4 mile radius, while dodging Yankee gunfire. Season ends, he's dodged Yankee bullets, screwed 17 doe, fought 3 bucks and lost ALL his body fat.

Luckily a 2' dump of snow just hit, so the wolves will put him out of his misery.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
spot on SH, IF the buck is tough enough to survive another year, great. but you not hunting your place isn't giving him the slightest advantage

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Itasca:

hunt where you can get away from people, or where you can use them to push deer to you. On a 40, others around you can push deer past you, or off of your property, depending on what is there. by coming to your hunting location by boat, hunters coming in from the road may push deer to the shore - right to you

I am also in Itasca county. PM me with your location.

Fred

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (007FJ, 219DW, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1234, 1lessdog, 63 invisible), 1,775 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,070
Posts18,521,609
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.