Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm looking at a good looking M70 270 in Super Grade...new one. Is there a way of telling by the serial number if it's one of those Pakistani Winchesters or not? There's a good shot of the serial number was the reason I asked.

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Pakistani M70???????

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Look on the barrel. It will have "Assembled in Portugal".

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by reelman
Pakistani M70???????

Pakistan, Portugal. Same thing... whistle grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The Portuguese address on my model 70 is stamped on the bottom of the barrel shank and is not visible when the rifle is assembled. However, if it is a new rifle and the box is available, the bar code label will provide assembly point verification. CP.

IC B2

Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The only thing that's sharp and visible is the serial number. There's a shot of the box but not the end of the box where all the info is located. I don't know when the decision was made to have these farmed out to Pakistan or Portugal.

C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I cannot help you with a serial number differentiation, but I would recommend that you call the Browning folks in Morgan,UT and ask them about the specific serial number of the rifle in which you are interested. From some anecdotal evidence, I believe that there was a short transition period with rifles being assembled concurrently on both sides of the pond. So, I am speculating that a clean serial number change did not occur during this period. As MichiganScott has indicated, many of the recent rifles have the Portuguese assembly note in the exposed barrel address. However, I know of several NIB 70s on local shelves and on GunBrokers that have hidden Portuguese addresses- I have seen their bar code information. CP.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 3 alpha letters in the serial number will help determine the year...i.e. 35AMP (2008 Ltd. Edition...1st yeat FN)...35CZY...etc. Just call Winchester and ask them.....always pretty helpful.

What is the alpha letters in your serial number?

Last edited by Wacenturion; 11/02/14.

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
EZX are the letters on my Portuguese 70. CP.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Why does it seem to matter so much to people.

Their still great Guns made in America, with american raw materials...

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B3

Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CP
EZX are the letters on my Portuguese 70. CP.

Yep, this one starts 35EZX...bummer. And it was a good price on a new M70 375 H&H.

They're not made in America if they're assembled elsewhere. It reminds me of an attic fan I bought years ago at Home Depot. USA stamped in large letters all over the box. got it home and found the most important part, the motor, was made in China.

Last edited by Kitch; 11/02/14.

Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I expect a Nikon to be made in Japan, a Leica to be made in Germany, a Sako to be made in Finland and a Winchester to be made in the USA. that's the way it's been and that's the way it should be.

I don't think we've reached such a low IQ we can't totally assemble rifles here like always. Winchester's shooting their self in the foot and taking American jobs away by farming any of their work overseas. As Forest Gump would say, that's all I have to say about that.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
As I understand it, one of the reasons for farming them out to Portugal is they could not get wood that met their specifications and required quality in the US.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So, they're just farming out the stock fitting elsewhere?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
can't comment about the wood, but I have spent time in Portugal and if it came down to buying one assembled there or say Detroit,
hands down, Portugal. if you want one built exclusively here in the states, step up and pay for it. want one we all can afford? that's why they went to Portugal.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can't comment on the Portugal assembled rifles, but if they are just like the other FN Model 70's with the exception of being put together overseas, they're pretty darn nice rifles for the money. I have several pre Portugal, all with beautiful wood on them, including a couple JOC's which in my opinion just feel absolutely perfect in hand.

Have seen pictures of a few new Portugal rifles in Super Grade with beautiful stocks. I'd be willing too bet probably every bit as good. No different than Miroku made guns, which in my opinion were every bit as good if not better than most comparable rifles and shotguns.

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
All of browning high end stocks for their shotguns come out of the same plant portugese plant that's making the model 70 stocks now. Winchester outsourced the stocks here in the good ol U.S and the qc was very bad. So now they send them to Portugal for final finishing.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
That says it all.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Here is a Portugese Supergrade.

[Linked Image]

We haven't forgotten how to assemble anything it's simple cost. Of the big manufacturers Winchester is already one of, if not the most expensive. If you add costs of assembly here in the states that retail price goes up even more. And wventualky we see the 70 go Hewhaven all over again

I've also heard the issue with the wood

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Made in the US, assembled in Portugal. I see no reason to split hairs over it. I own one of the FN-made rifles, a Featherweight, that's a tackdriver. I recently tested one of the Portugal-assembled guns, an Ultimate Shadow Hunter SS, and it produced single ragged holes. Same gun, essentially. Same quality.

Photos here:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9279483/3

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 117LBS, 007FJ, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 1,923 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,257
Posts18,525,226
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.