Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
On the positive side, the group is still "round". I'd not be surprised if you find a load that would do 1 1/2" or better for 10 shots in succession.

From your posts on here, I know you've had some nice stuff! I don't think the factory Kimber barrels are on par with the really good ones...

10 in an inch with a factory Kimber would be the exception, not the norm in my opinion. I'd play around with different loads until you find nirvana.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
HR IC

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
You are doing it all wrong. You are supposed to shoot 10 3 shot groups, measure and photograph the best group, and get on the internet and claim the rifle does that "all day long".

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Calvin
You are doing it all wrong. You are supposed to shoot 10 3 shot groups, measure and photograph the best group, and get on the internet and claim the rifle does that "all day long".

....when you do your part.

David

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
SAS, the results are exactly what I expected. I am neither excited nor disappointed. I would have been thrilled with 1.5 MOA. I agree with you, round groups are more better!

I'm sure tweaking loads will shrink it. I might run a group of 175 smk's just for kicks.

In its current form it will make a fine MPBR rig which in reality is what 5 lb rifle is designed for.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ctsmith
10 shots is the best indicator of where the first three will land on any given day. Overlay your various "cold" three shots groups and the answer you will get is in the 10 shot group.

Except you've got all that heat from your ten round burst.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Try one shot a day over 10 days if you have a home range. That will be the best indicator as to what both you and the rifle can do on any given day.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If you are interested in playing some more, try some Tubbs Final Finish. Not necessarily the whole kit, just enough to really even out the barrel. I've found it to make a measurable difference on a few rifles. If nothing else it will clean up easier.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Slap some 178 A-Maxes in there and see what it does!

How does the crown look?? If I recall correctly, I didn't see anything wrong with it.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
If it won't group 45gr R15 behind a 155gr Scenar, I'd be surprised if it grouped anything...

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...just wondering... I recently bought a .308 suppressor and have been shooting it on a .308 Savage Hog Hunter. Three rapid shots with or without the suppressor will run in the .5-.75 area. In looking around for a lighter weight rifle for hunting came across the Kimber Adirondack with a 18" barrel...just perfect for what I am looking for...until I read the specs..a 1-12 twist barrel.

I called Kimber and spoke to one of the tecs about why they were using a 1-12 when most others manufacturers were using 1-10...especially on a threaded barrel gun that one could use subsonic ammo and a suppressor the 1-12 isn't going to do very well with a 190-220 grain bullet at slow speed. Apparently no one at Kimber ever considered that aspect as they are planning a muzzlebrake for the gun...

So what say you...I have had lots of .308s from Remington, Ruger, TC and Savage and all have had 1-10 barrels which shot beyond great. Does anyone think that maybe a 1-10 would help with the Kimbers accuracy...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Micro_Groove
I edited my post as to why. How many times are you gonna pop off more than three rounds in a light weight hunting rifle?

MG,

The ten shots don't necessarily have to be from a hot barrel. You can shoot them as three separate 3-shot groups, letting the barrel cool between each group and the results will largely be the same as what Clint is showing. Clint can chime in here, but I bet the first three out of the 10 he is showing didn't land in a little bitty group either. A single 3-shot group just doesn't provide enough statistical data to be an accurate predictor of where the next shot is going to land. If you'll take your favorite rig and load and shoot three or more 3-shot groups at the same point of aim, letting the barrel cool between each group, you'll see what I'm talking about. You won't be able to blame the results on barrel heat either�

John

Last edited by Hondo64d; 11/02/14.

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RJM
...just wondering... I recently bought a .308 suppressor and have been shooting it on a .308 Savage Hog Hunter. Three rapid shots with or without the suppressor will run in the .5-.75 area. In looking around for a lighter weight rifle for hunting came across the Kimber Adirondack with a 18" barrel...just perfect for what I am looking for...until I read the specs..a 1-12 twist barrel.

I called Kimber and spoke to one of the tecs about why they were using a 1-12 when most others manufacturers were using 1-10...especially on a threaded barrel gun that one could use subsonic ammo and a suppressor the 1-12 isn't going to do very well with a 190-220 grain bullet at slow speed. Apparently no one at Kimber ever considered that aspect as they are planning a muzzlebrake for the gun...

So what say you...I have had lots of .308s from Remington, Ruger, TC and Savage and all have had 1-10 barrels which shot beyond great. Does anyone think that maybe a 1-10 would help with the Kimbers accuracy...

Bob

No idea....but for your application, I'd just get a Ruber American Predator with the 18" barrel.

Or if you're planning to shoot a lot of subsonic, wait for the Ruber American Ranch 300 BKT with the 16+" barrel.

Last edited by 257heaven; 11/02/14.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by RJM

Bob

Would only help with the VLD type bullets heavier than 178gr.

John

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ctsmith
SAS, the results are exactly what I expected. I am neither excited nor disappointed. I would have been thrilled with 1.5 MOA. I agree with you, round groups are more better!

I'm sure tweaking loads will shrink it. I might run a group of 175 smk's just for kicks.

In its current form it will make a fine MPBR rig which in reality is what 5 lb rifle is designed for.

Clint....What bullet were you using for the groups?? I don't think I saw that info.

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Try one shot a day over 10 days if you have a home range. That will be the best indicator as to what both you and the rifle can do on any given day.

Done it, same results.

Heat will expound upon other problems, but as SAS implied, nice round groups are a good indication that everything is right.

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 257heaven
Slap some 178 A-Maxes in there and see what it does!

How does the crown look?? If I recall correctly, I didn't see anything wrong with it.

Crown looks good. The package in general looks good. Grouping isn't bad. I suspect a whole bunch of rifles would be worse.

The groups were RL15 & 155 Scenar.

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
If it won't group 45gr R15 behind a 155gr Scenar, I'd be surprised if it grouped anything...

John

RL15 and the 155 Scenar or 175 SMK tell the tale.

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Clint can chime in here, but I bet the first three out of the 10 he is showing didn't land in a little bitty group either.

On one group the first thee were tight, less than .5". On the other they were more like an inch. Three is usually unpredictable. Don't get me wrong, you can read sign, such as thee stacked on top of each other. That was not the case here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shooting 10 shot groups in a Montana does not make much sense to me.

Tanner

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Tanner
Shooting 10 shot groups in a Montana does not make much sense to me.

Tanner

Yawl are gonna make me shoot three groups of three shots with a single shot following to make a total of 10, then overlay them, just to prove 10 in succession gives the same answer.

As you can tell, I don't mind putting numerous rounds on paper. I've done 3 shots and overlayed them more than once. I now know that I can cut to the chase. I've found 10 shot groups to be a very good indication of where the bullet is routinely going to land. I've found it doesnt make a difference in the combined group size if one round is fired at a time, 3 rounds, 5 rounds, or 10 rounds, given a rifle with no stress issues.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 2003and2013, 63 invisible), 2,465 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,477
Posts18,489,961
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.