Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OldNo7 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Me and My Old Savage 99-F...

Went out for a long walk in the Maine Woods today; and it didn't hurt that it was the Deer Season opener. We didn't see anything worth shooting, but that would have been a bonus for us anyway.

Here's my old 1938 Savage 99-F, being shown here for the first time. Per the expert Savage Historian in Mass who recently "factory lettered" this old rifle for me, it is a "Savage 99-F Lightweight Takedown; not to be confused with the 1955 Model 99-F or the 1899-F." Interestingly, the copy of the 1938 Jobbers Price List he sent me (since mine was made/shipped that year) says the rifle's weight is 7.5 pounds... (Wait a second, I thought it was a "lightweight"?) shocked
[Linked Image]

She sure carried well in the woods, regardless of the actual weight... You can't beat a day -- even a soggy wet one -- when it's spent out in the woods in the company of Mother Nature, blued steel & walnut, woolen red & black-checkered hunting clothes, and the required Hunter Orange... The wet wool does gets a little heavy, but does indeed stay warm even while wet...

Turns out that shortly after 8AM (we started at oh-dark-thirty), that the iron sights was a great idea...
[Linked Image]

I found where a beaver had been pretty busy, and all 3 of these next pix use the Savage 99-F for scale. All of these were found within 20 feet of the other, and he started off on the small size...
[Linked Image]

Then he moved up just a little in size...
[Linked Image]

...and then Wow -- Mr. Beaver got REALLY ambitious with this one!!! Man, that's a whole lot of bark and wood to chew!
[Linked Image]

And then, about an hour later -- still raining -- the best part of the day's "hunt", was finding THIS!!!
[Linked Image]

Boy, that sure would have made a great photo op, to drape a BIG 'OL BUCK across the hood of that old car, with the old Savage resting in its antlers!!!

Ah well, I can dream, can't I... Gee, maybe next week?!?! grin

Tight groups.

Old No7

"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good photo's. smile

Hope you wiped the rain off! cool

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Awesome mini photo essay! Love all the settings.

An unashamed bitter/clinger/deplorable
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nice hunt photos!

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
those checkered F's are cool

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Looks like a wonderful day spent with Mother Nature and your 99-F
Very Nice!

Steve

“Alive in JESUS!”
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OldNo7
Me and My Old Savage 99-F...

Went out for a long walk in the Maine Woods today; and it didn't hurt that it was the Deer Season opener. We didn't see anything worth shooting, but that would have been a bonus for us anyway.

Here's my old 1938 Savage 99-F, being shown here for the first time. Per the expert Savage Historian in Mass who recently "factory lettered" this old rifle for me, it is a "Savage 99-F Lightweight Takedown; not to be confused with the 1955 Model 99-F or the 1899-F." Interestingly, the copy of the 1938 Jobbers Price List he sent me (since mine was made/shipped that year) says the rifle's weight is 7.5 pounds... (Wait a second, I thought it was a "lightweight"?) shocked
[Linked Image]

She sure carried well in the woods, regardless of the actual weight... You can't beat a day -- even a soggy wet one -- when it's spent out in the woods in the company of Mother Nature, blued steel & walnut, woolen red & black-checkered hunting clothes, and the required Hunter Orange... The wet wool does gets a little heavy, but does indeed stay warm even while wet...

Turns out that shortly after 8AM (we started at oh-dark-thirty), that the iron sights was a great idea...
[Linked Image]

I found where a beaver had been pretty busy, and all 3 of these next pix use the Savage 99-F for scale. All of these were found within 20 feet of the other, and he started off on the small size...
[Linked Image]

Then he moved up just a little in size...
[Linked Image]

...and then Wow -- Mr. Beaver got REALLY ambitious with this one!!! Man, that's a whole lot of bark and wood to chew!
[Linked Image]

And then, about an hour later -- still raining -- the best part of the day's "hunt", was finding THIS!!!
[Linked Image]

Boy, that sure would have made a great photo op, to drape a BIG 'OL BUCK across the hood of that old car, with the old Savage resting in its antlers!!!

Ah well, I can dream, can't I... Gee, maybe next week?!?! grin

Tight groups.

Old No7

I have one JUST like yours in about the same condition. It's REALLY refreshing to finally find another that isn't afraid to take a fine rifle out in the elements and use it for it's intended purpose. Those checkered "F" are on most people's search list. Thanks for sharing your experience.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Nice rifle! And pictures, what caliber?

OldNo7 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
It's a .300 Savage, and very accurate with that Lyman 29+1/2 tang sight on it.

Old No7

"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Great story and photos and you didn't even fire your rifle. smile GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The regulars here at the Fire probably felt their heart pound a little harder when that first photo popped up on the computer screen. Most could tell exactly what you had with one glance. Not much info in the Savage logs since recording of detailed info stopped about a year before your rifle was produced.

Take care of that rifle, it's a good one!

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Like LBK said, nice to see your not afraid to take it outside. I have the same model 250-3000. I enjoy taking it outside, of course I wrap an old sheet around to protect from the hot aussie sun, even stood a couple rounds next to it the other day, that was exciting.

Always hoped I find a 22 h.p to go with it, the 22 eing the most common 99 cal down here, but no luck so far

Johno

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for sharing... those checkered Fs are really hard to find!

Andrew
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wish I could find one.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice gun.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
OldNo7 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by lovemy99
Thanks for sharing... those checkered Fs are really hard to find!

You all may not want to hear that I got the "checkered F" with the Lyman 29+1/2 tang sight on it...

...for just $575 out the door.

The 99-F was marked $475 (it had been drilled for a scope, and the stocks were dark & dirty, but sound). And they moved the Lyman tang sight from an old .303 Svg 99 that was beat all to heck, for just $100 more...

So yes, I got lucky finding that one! wink

Tight groups.

Old No7

Last edited by OldNo7; 11/02/14.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Well Welcome to the Fire! Great gun! Great introduction! You will find a very attentive audience for your other stories after starting with this one!

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very nice. Great rifle.

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great Pictures!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Simply splendid!

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,203
Posts18,485,345
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.