Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
357- Agree with the advice on running shoe mileage. I use 400 miles since mine are usually showing their age by then. I also will buy a new pair at about 250 or 300 miles and rotate them in, similar to what A. Angel does.

New Balance chain stores or a local independent running shop should be happy to do a gait analysis and tell you all kinds of stuff about under and over pronation.

From your questions and replies it sounds like you've already got a fair bit of motivation going. Get out there and have fun. Best of luck.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Esox357
Dakota, your absolutely right. Lazy does play a big part of it as well hence the reason for some added advice. I can lift all day long and not worry, cardio is another story.

Ever try "cardio-lifting"? Fast lifts, and lots of them, whole body, never stop moving.

The best thing I've found to motivate me for running is not giving myself any crutches--no dog, no partner, no music, no nothing--just me. Then have a day set apart that you've got the time to spend to get to your next goal mileage (say 5 miles for you). And do whatever it takes, however long, to get that mileage in one "run" (which may include walking, stopping, jogging, crawling, etc). Once you hit the mileage once, it gets a whole lot easier to do a second time, and third, and so on.

This all assumes that you get the shoe thing squared away first. Don't even bother if that isn't settled yet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can squat and I can bike, but I cannot run,jog,or jump. My knees just won't have it. It's a bummer, as I like sprints and think they are an outstanding exercise. On the other hand, long distance running is generally awful for the body and I hate it. To each his own, but I think there are way better avenues to health and fitness than pounding the pavement.

Now with even more aplomb
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by Esox357
Never was a good runner now trying to get back into it. I can do a mile in around 10 minutes trying to extend it to 3 miles possible 5 miles any suggestions on how to extend the run and shorten time. I can't get motivated to run past a mile or so.

I don't know how old you are but I'm 71 and I suggest you try training like I do. It was recommended by my cardiologist who is a young guy and a triathlete. He told me to keep doing it for as long as I wanted to unless I got winded and to stop immediately if I felt any discomfort :

1) Get a heart rate monitor.
2) Get some good running shoes at a running store. Don't let them talk you into buying shoes based on your heel strike. Get shoes with a low heel and good padding for your forefoot.
3) Don't ever run on a hard surface.
4) Don't ever let your heel strike the ground first while running or jogging. You should always land on your forefoot. The people that complain about shin splints and sore shins are landing on their heels when they run or jog. It's not natural to land on your heels. If you don't believe it run barefooted on a hard surface while landing on your heels and see what it feels like. It will jar your whole body and is extremely bad for you ankles, knees and back.
5) Walk and stretch for 15 minutes, I always walk for about 5 minutes to get warmed up before I do any stretching.
6) Start running slowly until you reach you training rate for your age, then sprint until you reach your maximum heart rate for your age and then start walking until your heart rate comes back down to your training rate. As soon as your heat rate slows to your training rate start sprinting again until you reach your maximum heart rate again. Repeat this process for 30 minutes then start walking for 15 minutes to cool down and end with a good stretching.
7) You shouldn't feel any pain but if you so lay off until the pain goes away. I strained a knee and a calf muscle recently and walked for about a week both times until the pain was gone.
8) Do some weight training for your whole body, not just your legs.
9) If you're overweight lose the weight before you start running.
10) Don't run everyday. I skip 2 days between running and working out because of my age (recovery time takes longer)
11) Run where there is a lot of hot young women running also.

The time flies when you do this type of training and your speed and endurance will improve quickly. I hate long distance running and find it extremely boring. I ran 10.5 miles in Army basic carrying an M14 at age 21 and swore I'd never run that far again.

Last edited by victoro; 11/03/14.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by victoro
I don't know how old you are but I'm 71...

Nice post, Victoro. I have to disagree about not running on hard surfaces, even though you're correct. In many places there just isn't anything else to run on.

To the OP, be prepared to forget everything you think you know about running. The form that works on a football field or basketball court is completely different than what works best for distance running. Watch videos of 'chi' or natural running styles and learn.

Try to ignore distance and pace - focus on duration. Go run for a half hour or work up to it. Increase the duration when you can. Generally the best benefit is 30-40 minutes 3-4 days per week. Of course you can run longer depending on your goals, but the returns are diminished and the risk increased. Run at 1-2 minutes/mile slower than your 'best' pace. Run at around 180 strides/minutes which will most likely mean shortening your current stride, but enhance a mid-foot landing.

Shoes last me 300 miles almost like clockwork (fourth pair straight Brooks Adrenaline GTS).

Be realistic. The combined weight of the male and female winners of this year's NYC Marathon is 230-lbs. That's what I weigh.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree with JOG on the distance vs. time. You mentioned trying to get up to 3 miles, and possibly 5, so this is what I was replying to in my first post. If you are able to just go by time it will take some pressure off regarding your pace. 30-40 min 3-4 x a week is within reason.

You could walk, cycle, or lift weights on the off days depending on what your goals are. Many marathoners will take one day every other week and call this their long run. They increase the time they are out [or distance depending on their conditioning]. I used to run an extra mile or two to build up to my marathon distance every other week. You can do the same with a 5 mile goal.

Most running experts will tell you that if you are able to run 3 miles non-stop, you are able to run anything up to a 26.2 mile race [marathon distance] with proper training. This is where the mental really comes into play. It was 90% mental for me every time I ran a marathon. The same can be said for the shorter distances. It's all about where an individual is in their own fitness level. When it's all said and done, we are all racing against ourselves. smile

Last edited by asphaltangel; 11/03/14.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (10ring1, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 160user, 222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 57 invisible), 2,554 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,332
Posts18,487,602
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.