Print Thread
Hop To
R
reelman Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I'm thinking of using my Pre-Custer Trapdoor Carbine for deer one day this year with GOEX black powder ammo. The thing is I've never shot a black powder cartridge gun, only replica Hawkins guns. Cleaning them was a PITA, how do you guys clean BPCR's? Is there a special solvent you use?

Since there is basically no rifling left in my trapdoor I plan on limiting shots to about 30yds - if it's accurate enough for that.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I must say that your idea just doesn't sound the best to me. But I do hope that the black powder ammo you get is what they call "carbine loads" which have only 55 grains of powder under the 400 grain bullet. I also hope your rifle's trapdoor latch isn't as worn as the barrel and that you have had the gun checked out by a knowledgeable 'smith before doing any shooting. Further, if that carbine is not capable of accurate shooting, I wouldn't hunt with it at all.
Now, about cleaning, just clean the rifle like you would a muzzleloader. You will also want to clean the empty cases if you plan to keep them for reloading.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bring a jug of hot soapy water to the range and a decapper. Knock them primers out before you go home, dunk the cases in that jug and they'll be easy to clean when you get back. Then, throw them in a Thumler's Tumbler for four hours and voila, new cases both inside and out including the primer pockets.

Last edited by Kitch; 11/03/14.

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 303mike
I must say that your idea just doesn't sound the best to me. But I do hope that the black powder ammo you get is what they call "carbine loads" which have only 55 grains of powder under the 400 grain bullet. I also hope your rifle's trapdoor latch isn't as worn as the barrel and that you have had the gun checked out by a knowledgeable 'smith before doing any shooting. Further, if that carbine is not capable of accurate shooting, I wouldn't hunt with it at all.
Now, about cleaning, just clean the rifle like you would a muzzleloader. You will also want to clean the empty cases if you plan to keep them for reloading.

Pretty sporty when they start that "Self Cocking / Auto Ejection" stunt, ain't it ?

......The Block flying off always makes for an interesting story to tell, while squinting through your one remaining eye,...too.

You have given some GREAT advice here, Se�or.

The "Cowboy Loads" that I've scoped out were all OVER the place, in terms of alloy quality and hardness, with attendant variations in diameter. Probably not much of a concern in a barrel that likely started out new at a whopping .463-.464 in it's grooves.

Than and again, it might have LOTS of rifling, HIDING under a serious wash of old leading,....can we spell BOMB, yet ?

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 11/03/14.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

R
reelman Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Maybe I over dramatized the lack of rifling. The lock is tight as I've ever seen on a trapdoor and overall the gun is in pretty darn good shape for being 140 years old.

I did just de-construct one of the rounds. There's 60gr of black powder with a thin fiber "wad" and a 405gr soft lead bullet on top of it.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Great !

Sounds like you're good to go.

I've used Windex with Vinegar for cleaning, and TC 1000 "Bore Butter" for storage for a long time. You're dealing with higher humidity, and may want to use a little stouter oil or RIG for protection / storage.

luck,

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
...RIG for protection / storage...GTC

This is the ticket here in East Texas, home to humidities from 25% to 100%, depending on the day.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (338reddog, 14idaho, 01Foreman400, achlupsa, 35, 41rem, 4 invisible), 1,556 guests, and 840 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,323
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.