Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
so my father-in-law just informed me that his rancher buddy came through for him with a nice surprise that will grant us access to a herd that he says is counting up to 300 now and growing. Since this will be my 2nd year and everything I've planned on and done research on has been more for the smaller groups and/or single elk, I feel I don't want to waste this opportunity not being as well informed on how to hunt a large herd like this. The idea of that many elk being able to sense me is intimidating enough. Will their guard be down a bit because they are on private land that they may assume is a safe place? How should I go about preparing to hunt this large herd? Also, we both have either sex tags so I can go after whichever I want. I just want to make sure we take advantage of something we may not get another chance at.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Awesome opportunity. I'd say, talk to the rancher and find out what their habits are, where they hang out, and where they appear early and late. He can probably tell you the best place to approach from, just stay downwind. Wait for them to show themselves and don't be tempted to go into where they lay up for the day, that could blow 'em out.

Edited to add, with that many your biggest problem might be getting one in the clear (away from the herd) for a shot. Take your time, be patient, and wait for the shot you want. With the elk hanging on private land like that, if you pass on an opportunity, it'll just mean you get to hunt longer. You'll get another shot.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Shoot 'em in the front half. That's the advice I give everyone, it's foolproof.
Good luck.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
They'll be more noses, eyes, noses, ears and noses. Hunt the wind, be patient. They are there because they don't have pressure, so don't provide any. The rancher should have a handle on their patterns.

They should be easy to locate, just be patient and wait for your opportunity. If it were me, I'd be looking for a cow to isolate herself for a clean shot if they are in a large group.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Will their guard be down a bit because they are on private land that they may assume is a safe place?
Two years ago I got a cow out of a herd that definitely had it's guard down. I estimated that there were about 80 of them in a large bowl high up on a mtn side. There was no cover whatever, just knee high sagebrush. It took me 2 hrs to get to them and I had zero cover. I kept the wind and slowly walked straight at them to minimize side movement. I covered well over a mile in plain sight that way and shot one when I was 350 yds away. I didn't dare try getting closer. At least 80 pairs of eyes never saw me coming. They just weren't paying attention, apparently thinking they were in a safe place and probably assuming that everyone else was watching.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
With an opportunity like that, I would go all in for a mature bull.

Like others have said, play the wind and let them come to you.

Eta; mature bulls probably won't be with the large group.

Last edited by SLM; 11/05/14.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
you know I thought the same thing initially, SLM. Then when I read up a bit on it, everything seems to say that the big boys are off elsewhere. Plus, I've only been hunting for 2 years and being able to get any elk out of this would be amazing for me.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I obviously have no idea where the elk are or what they do in your country, but I do know on many of the ranches around here, the mature bulls are in the same general area but stay away from the cows.

I would shoot whatever makes you happy.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I've got 5 days to decide. I'm going to wait it out the best I can and see what presents itself. I think I was most nervous about the sheer size of the herd. I wanted to get as much advice as I could in regards to getting on them for a shot.

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Phil

Great advice has been given. Use the wind and terrain and you will be fine. Don't get in a hurry!Wait for a good clean shot. I would hunt bulls for the first few days then take any elk after that.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have fun.

That's what I got.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good luck Phil and have a great time on such a great opportunity!

Huntinut

"If it's the truth it ain't braggin" Will Rogers
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Phil:

Your biggest problem in that situation will be to get a clean shot where you're sure that you're going to hit only one animal. Be careful.

Over the last few days I have glassed just such a herd on "off-limits" private property. The weather has been so warm that they were still bugling a lot and some big bulls were fighting and some big bulls were courting cows. There were so many cows talking and so many bulls bugling that calling by us was futile. I sure would have liked to have the opportunity to sneak up on them.

Good luck.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
If you don't care what you shoot then your only issue will be hitting a single animal. If you want a bull (in my humble opinion I would not waste the opportunity) then you will need patience. I would watch the herd and set up where they are moving to/from and then lay up carefully watching the wind and cover (you need to be able to move if necessary). Set up so you will shoot from about 250 yards and don't shoot the first animal you see. The bulls will not be first--usually it will be a couple of spikes or cows. The longer you can hold your fire typically the large the bulls get. This changes when spooked, often flipping. But then they won't be coming your way.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'd hunt downwind of that herds bedding site if I wanted the biggest bull around.

LOL
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Have fun.

That's what I got.

Yep. Best advice so far.

Golden............
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yep, and it's a whole lot more fun if you put one on the ground.......

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
My advice is, I think you should take me with you .

Proud to be an American
United States Marine

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
How gauche. If you're gonna invite yourself on a hunt, send a PM, like I did.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
If you are in an "any elk" frame of mind, shooting a spike is a good plan. Large amount of meat, and you know how old the animal is. The problem with shooting a cow is that some of them are very old, and the meat can be more of a challenge to enjoy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1lessdog, 1_deuce, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,361
Posts18,527,204
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.