Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
150 speer hot cor in my old 270. 140 gr. accubond in my 7 saum. 150 gr. core-lokt almost as good.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just as you said; every gun is a law unto itself. Try some of what's out there because in my experience there's a lot of accurate bullets on the market these days. I've surprised myself a few times with cheap bullets when I thought I'd have to buy premium ones. Only your barrel knows for sure

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Well Sierra still advertises that 44 out of 49 NRA Hi-power rifle champions use Sierra. I wouldn't necessarly believe that, but in my case Sierra's seem to be the most accurate. If not, why do so many use them when accuracy is at stake. I already know there will be those that challenge this, but, if you do, have some proof rather than opinions and bs.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I spent 5 years in the gun department of a good sized sporting goods store, in that time it seemed like almost all rifles that "wouldn't shoot" would shoot well with Ballistic tips. The store I was in carried at least 1000 guns on hand at all times (part of advertising), and we sold around 3000 total guns per year, counting new, used, longguns and handguns. While most of the rifles that "wouldn't shoot" could be attributed to "operator error", now and then a regular, very careful meticulous reloader would have trouble, Ballistic tips solved the problem more often than not. Nothing scientific here, just what I can remember from my former career.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If I'm looking to find out if my gun will shoot accurately and have been having some difficulty, I usually turn to a sierra bullet.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well Sierra still advertises that 44 out of 49 NRA Hi-power rifle champions use Sierra. I wouldn't necessarly believe that, but in my case Sierra's seem to be the most accurate.
Exactly. NRA Rifle Champions, meaning paper punchers and Sieeras are the best in that regard. But regarding their hunting application, their reputation is checkered at best. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
IMHO, all of the aerodynamic "pointy tip" bullets are going to be very accurate when used properly with the correct cartridges and loads and rifles.

Accuracy is, of course, more than the bullet. I may be in a huge minority here, but IMHO other factors (and combinations of factors) affect accuracy far more than JUST the bullet.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Like people have said already, it usually depends on what your guns likes best. I have a .338 Win Mag that hates Nolser 200g Ballistic Tips, but love the 225g X-Bullet and the 250g Partition. My 270 is so-so with Factory 130 Ballistic Sivertips, but does well with 140g Accubonds and better with 130g Sierra's. The Sierra's shoot approximatly 1" higher at 100 yds, but dead center vertically.

I recently tried some Hornady 270g Spitzers in my 375 H&H with consistant 3" groups so I tried some 300g Sierra's and got 1 ".

I am biginning to like the accuracy of the TSX bullets. I have only tried them in two rifle, a .284 win, Mod 88 and 375 H&H. As long as I do my part they are 1" or less at 100 yds.

Just my two cents

JAH

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
In my experience, if a rifle won't shoot Sierras or Ballistic Tips accurately, it won't shoot well with anything.Just my 2 cents.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil...
...is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Yeah.... I have always gotten best accuracy from non-varmit bullets from Sierra or the Nosler BT.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
By reading all these posts I am sure that there's even more good stuff out there today. I certainly can't argue against Sierra's products. When I was an NRA Hi-Power competitor my M-1A was fed nothing but Sierra 168 gr. BTHP's. The absolute all-time best accuracy bullet in my 25-06 is their 117 gr. pro-hunter (#1640 IIRC), which I've twice proven to have great terminal performance on Wyoming Pronghorns when launched at about 3128 fps by a healthy dose of RL-22, (half a gr. below max. in the Sierra 50th anniversary manual). But my 22-250 now sees pretty much nothing but Nosler Ballistic tips. At the risk of getting this thing too long and drawn out; I'll say that I forgot to mention trying flat base vs. boat tail bullets. A lot of rifles (including my 25-06) seem to prefer flat base. Some others it doesn't matter. The aerodynamic advantage of the boat tail isn't enough to usually make any difference except at exreme range. I can't back up that last statement with personal experience but from everything I've read on the subject over the years it makes sense. So at any normal hunting range if a flat base is more accurate then use it. Like I mentioned in my previous post; "only your barrel knows for sure" .... All I know is what works well in My guns.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
There seems to be an anti Sierra thing going on as far as, yes they are accurate, but no good for hunting. I dunno, I shot 4 elk with them so far and never was able to recover a bullet for examination. Unfortunatly, all bullets went completly through 4 different elk and 2 of them were quartering shots. I don't even remember how many deer I have taken so far with Sierra bullets and so far, everything has been a 1 shot kill. Maybe I am just a lucky shot. I have tried Noslers and think they are fine, I have onlt shot 1 elk with the partition, but he didn't expire any faster than the Sierra shot elk. The $1.50 a bullet wonder slugs may be great, but so far I have seen no need for them when my 225Gr Sierras drop everything I shoot and will go completly through them wth a generous hole to let blood out.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have found flat base hornadys to be my go to hunting bullet. When working with a new rifle I start with them. Sierra or nosler bt's would be my second choice.

Politicians and Diapers both need to be changed often, and for the same reason!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've loaded Sierra bullets in all my rifles and have yet to be let down. I can't say the same for the BT in my .243 win. I've shot deer close and far with great results. 243 win, 270 win, 7mm RM, 300 WSM.
I've had many people ask me which bullets/loads to purchase for their new rifle. I tell them if Federal Premiums with Sierra bullets don't shoot well they might have a problem. I know their are exceptions but in my experience that's pretty much the truth.

Thank God for Mississippi!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sierra HPBT Gamekings, Nosler BTs, Nosler Accubonds, in that order. IMO!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Like people have said already, it usually depends on what your guns likes best.

I understand. My point is that these "pointy tip" bullets of various manufacture have been developed to the point that other considerations affect accuracy far more than the actual bullet to the point that the bullet's weight is the only real consideration when constructing a cartridge.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For the best in accuracy, I turn to a traditional cup and core bullet. Which one is best is hard to say because each gun has its preference, but the major bullet makers tend to have the best. If I had to rank them, I�d have to say:

Nosler Ballistic Tip
Sierra GameKing
Speer Hot Cor
Hornady Interlock

Not more than a hair�s bit of difference between these�Usually comes down to the gun you�re shooing them in. Regardless of how my list may look, I find myself using the Hornady Interlock the most out of that group. One bullet that�s not on that list, is my go-to bullet is the Nosler Partition...Not always the most accurate for me, but rarely inaccurate.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I use, or have used, Barnes XBT's, XLC and the TSX. Of all of them, the TSX has been the easiest to find really accurate loads for. They, the TSX, are now my first choice.
I've used the Nosler Partitions and, in factory ammo, the Federal Throphy Bonded. They rate back in second place. I like the Hornady Interbonds too. But not for big stuff. Not enough penetration with their 154 gr. 7mm's.
It's really nice to get them to shoot under MOA. But I really don't require it. If I'm shooting less than 300 yds., even 2.5 MOA, as long as it does that or better every time I test, all the way to 300 yds. from a solid field position, I hunt them. I care far more about bullets that open and hold together, particularly on the big tough stuff, than the difference between .5-2.0 plus MOA. E

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
As previously mentioned, there are a lot of very accurate bullets out there now days with the minimal accuracy difference between them showing up only with specific rifle likes & dislikes.

With that said, I have found that Sierra bullets will almost always deliver the best accuracy. I use them to define the accuracy potental of a rifle and all other loads wind up being compared to the Sierra's performance.

I like Speer SP (HotCor) for a hunting bullet. I have found them to be almost as accurate as the Sierra's and a good bit tougher.

firstshot
--------------------------------------
Make your first shot count!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Many bullets are accurate enough today. The problem is running out of time when getting a rifle ready. The bigger the game, longer the range and smaller the bullet the more narrow the choice of optimum bullets.

It's been almost 60 years now since Sierra perfected mass producing the accurate bullet. By now many others know how to do it and some do it. Its more difficult to make a complicated bullet as accurate. Many times 1.5 MOA is is just fine.

As to my vote for the 'most accurate big game bullet' I would buy Nolser BT's and if they shoot then the same Accubond. Match the bullet to the game and distance.

I don't use X bullets as I don't trust the company or the design yet. I tried them. Perhaps the company will get better and the new plastic meplat will make expansion reliable. I thank all those who spend their money on Barnes products to fund the development.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

165 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 2500HD, 338reddog, 204guy, 1lessdog, 2ndwind, 23 invisible), 1,912 guests, and 894 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,446
Posts18,507,896
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.