Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ouch.

Forge welding ain't always the chit, yanno?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB4

E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Appreciate the fine feedback. I will be home Christmas Eve for a few weeks and will hit up a couple of the local shops.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Ouch.

Forge welding ain't always the chit, yanno?

Re-treading horse shoes now, are you? (Would those be Damascus shoes then? grin )

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I am a hobby welder, have 220 in the garage so I bought a Lincoln 180, mostly car work sheet metal and what ever needs to be stuck together.. So far a fine machine for the money. You start on the car path and the next thing will be a Plasma Cutter..

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
crossfireoops, or anyone else,

What do you know about the Millermatic 200 ?

That one has small stick welding capability included, but I don't know about the quality or performance of the machine. Looks to me to be strictly a hobby machine, although a pricey one.

I also don't know about the light weight of the machine - must be all electronic circuits without much transformer.

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by speedsixman
crossfireoops, or anyone else,

What do you know about the Millermatic 200 ?

That one has small stick welding capability included, but I don't know about the quality or performance of the machine. Looks to me to be strictly a hobby machine, although a pricey one.

I also don't know about the light weight of the machine - must be all electronic circuits without much transformer.

Myron

Yup, that's an inverter based system,....with the attendant advantages and a few disadvantages. Absolutely SUPERB for moving around a plant doing maintenance or for PORTABLE service,.... delivering fine arc shaping in several modes,....but VERY shy on "slug it out" duty cycle rating,...the area where the BIGGER inverters or the transformers truly excel.
.....the sorta' rig you'd WANT in a race car support trailer, or perhaps a large trawler. I can tell you that the "backround" 25K hertz frequency will make for a decent, but not perfect DC TIG ferrous process, and that in the stick mode one will want ear protection, if it's anything like my Dynasty 400.

I don't see the Multimatic 200 as a "Shop Machine", myself.

Good timing, I'm meeting with a Miller distributor ma�ana, and will get his HONEST opinion about this particular machine,...

cheers,

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
crossfireoops,

You are saying that the the welding current output is 25k ?

If that applies to the stick output, that thing will scream insted of buzz.

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What compressor did you get?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is it the old 200 Miller? If so it is one of the best wire-feed welders ever built. They still bring $1000+ at auctions around here. I've been offered brand new welders in trade for my 200 but I still own it. I have a 304 now but the 200 is an AMAZING back-up machine that I still use on occasion.
I like 75/25 gas for mostly new metal and a few repair jobs. CO2 works better for dirty metal but the welds aren't as pretty and it's hard to control splatter at higher amps. I tend to use the stick for ugly projects or outside projects.
Get a 220 rig at the highest amperage you can afford as the projects will always get bigger. A 120 machine would be handy with some .023 wire for the thin projects. .035 gets tricky with under 16ga. material.

My ideal welder for a hobbyist (I've been one for many years) would be a 200+/- amp rig that runs on 220 since you have it and the ability to swap .035 wire and .030 or .023 wire by simply swapping the rollers. I think 75/25 gas is worth the expense but my $0.02.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by White_Bear
Is it the old 200 Miller? If so it is one of the best wire-feed welders ever built. They still bring $1000+ at auctions around here. I've been offered brand new welders in trade for my 200 but I still own it. I have a 304 now but the 200 is an AMAZING back-up machine that I still use on occasion.
I like 75/25 gas for mostly new metal and a few repair jobs. CO2 works better for dirty metal but the welds aren't as pretty and it's hard to control splatter at higher amps. I tend to use the stick for ugly projects or outside projects.
Get a 220 rig at the highest amperage you can afford as the projects will always get bigger. A 120 machine would be handy with some .023 wire for the thin projects. .035 gets tricky with under 16ga. material.

My ideal welder for a hobbyist (I've been one for many years) would be a 200+/- amp rig that runs on 220 since you have it and the ability to swap .035 wire and .030 or .023 wire by simply swapping the rollers. I think 75/25 gas is worth the expense but my $0.02.

x2, especially on the unimix gas.

-Brian-
Whatever you do, do well.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by speedsixman
crossfireoops,

You are saying that the the welding current output is 25k ?

If that applies to the stick output, that thing will scream insted of buzz.

Myron

No, I'm not.

The incoming 50-60 Hz is INITIALLY ramped up to a 25K BACKROUND FREQUENCY,....which is than "Shaped",....e.g. chopped back down to lower voltages / higher Amps.

You WERE asking about the MULTI MATIC 200, correct?

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
White_Bear,

No. This thing is a fairly recent design, a very light (29lb.) portable machine that is all electronic. It would be great for a carry-around machine, but I have some misgivings about it.

That is why I questioned it's capability.

Myron

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
crossfireoops,

Yep, my bad. I called it a Millermatic instead of a Multimatic.

Electronic circuit welders are a foreign language to me and I don't fully comprehend how they work. Will have to do a bit of reading up on the newer ways of doing things.

Myron

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by duxndogs
I've owned a few and run quite a few, the Millermatic 211 is my favorite and the one that's in my shop. Can't say enough good about it.

Straight C02 works fine for the vast majority of what I mess with but sometimes I want a better looking weld and the 80/20 argon-C02 provides that. Argon also has a slimmer penetration profile which can be beneficial for fillet and butt welds. C02 has deeper penetration which I like on thicker metal.

No denying the arc density and cosmetics with 80-20.

I run a LOT of Argon through my Dynasty DX 400, and occasionally some "Tri-Mix."

Just haven't been able to justify adding it to my in house MIG processes.

When doing a "parameter development" gig, it's ALWAYS fun to play with the mixes,....it's just a question of economy and local prices, I guess.

All that said, I gotta' head over to the local weld supplier and dump some more hard earned back into consumables.

Have a fine mornin', Ya'll !

GTC

75/25 works pretty good for hard wire and dual shield too. I've ran tons of straight CO2 at work, but for my shop I use 75/25 as it runs smoother and you get less splatter. I'm not telling you this buddy as I know you are probably one of the most knowledgeable welders here. My mig is also small compared to yours, but it works great for a home shop. It's an older (10 years old) Miller 175 (220) and it works real nice. I've also ran tri mix and 95/5 etc. etc. but 75/25 is where it's at for me doing body work and exhaust type jobs at home. I work in the Marine industry where we run straight CO2 and it's good enough for the coast guard and ABS standards/x-ray quality welds..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EdM
Appreciate the fine feedback. I will be home Christmas Eve for a few weeks and will hit up a couple of the local shops.

Ed, we know you don't skimp on rifles. I suspect/hope you will do the same when it comes to picking out the right welder. A miller 211 would probably fit your needs very well. Good luck in your search buddy and I'd suggest pm'ng crossfireoops on this. He has tons of experience in this field...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Yes, I have decided on the 211. Miller has a $100 rebate going now as well. Looks like I can get one for a grand.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good choice with the Miller 211, a grand well spent.

The Millermatic 135 and .023 would have been been preferable to the Lincoln 175 and .030 on my last auto restoration where almost all of my work was sheet steel.

Dave

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good choice dittos

The only thing I'd add on this fine morning is a recommendation that one avoid the cheesy "Cart" that may be offered (the one with plastic wheels and tiny casters, unless it's thrown in for FREE. Scratch building a really good one is a great way to shake out your new machine,....put it through all it's paces, as it were.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good deal. I'll bet Ed is going to like that machine...

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Lincoln just came out with a new machine, one that will probably be my next machine.

Link

Phil

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 10gaugeman, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,029 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,879
Posts18,479,074
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.