Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I bought a NIB Tikka 308 Superlight from a member here (I can't remember who) and I went to sight it in today and it Failed to Fire all 5 times with factory ammo, primer was not hit. I also noticed that when I cycled the bolt with the saftey on when I closed the bolt the safety went into the "off safe position". I called Beretta and they said send it in but since I'm not the original owner it's not covered under warranty. Anyone have any idea what's wrong with this rifle? I guess I'll just bring it to my gunsmith right before hunting season. Last Tikka I'll buy!

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'd have to check mine�but I don't think the bolt should cycle with the safety on.

Also, what about the cocking indicator? Does it show as it should with the rifle ready to fire?

Just some quick thoughts.

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Debris in firing channel or broken firing pin?

Safety is defective.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Disassemble the bolt and check it out....

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
On safe locks the bolt down on a properly functioning T3.

Have you pulled it off the stock to look at the trigger mechanism? Also +1 on bolt disassembly.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
On safe locks the bolt down on a properly functioning T3.

Have you pulled it off the stock to look at the trigger mechanism? Also +1 on bolt disassembly.

P

+1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
NJ,

I assume there is a scope on this rifle. If so, did you install it and are you using the factory rings? I ask because I had a friend who had a similar issue. He installed Talley LW base/rings and used the wrong screw in the front base. It will protrude into the action and catch the bolt lug just barely before locking completely down. His would fire only occasionally with it being barely out of battery and far enough away that the FP would not hit the primer, or only lightly.

Maybe not your issue, but something to be aware of.

Just a thought.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Take it to a gunsmith

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
1DN--I installed Talley Lightweights that were milled by 16Bore, the short screw installed in the rear of the front base as directed. Guys, thanks for all the advice, since it involves the safety, I'm going to bring it to the gunsmith tomorrow, I'll keep you posted. Thanks again!

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Just checked, no screws protruding. The bolt handle seems to be at about a 60 degree angle and not locked all the way down, it still dry fires. Chit like this always happens right before hunting season. Thanks.

Last edited by NJelksmacker; 11/10/14.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Color the bolt head with a Sharpie and double check that front base/rear screw. I'd pop the action outta the stock as well and try to cycle the bolt. Make sure its sitting on the lug correctly when you reassemble. The action screws can still be torqued if its sitting cattywhompus.

The haters will love this....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 16bore

The haters will love this....
"F" em..... And the Prius they rode in on grin

Ask for forgiveness......instead of permission
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Take the scope off, take the base off, and go fire it at the range. You will find your problem "solved."

If it dry-fires, then there is nothing wrong with it except that the firing pin is not "long enough" to reach the primer--because it is being held back by something like the base screw.

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I looked at the screw holes, doesn't look like any screws are sticking out (doesn't feel like it either), I'm going to take the lightweights off and see what happens. I'll keep you posted.

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I took the scope off, then backed off the front screw of the front base and now the bolt fully closes and won't open on safe, safety works properly, looks like the front screw is too long. Thanks for all your help!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad to hear it wasn't a Tikka issue after all.... A little light filing should fix you right up.

Reno

The time is drawing nearer for the American People to stand up for what they believe in. To stop having their rights trampled by the a$$holes in Washington D.C.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Front screw? Hmmm....

Only one had issue was rear until now. Very interesting. The base screws have been pretty constistant. The ring screws have been schit though. I'll certainly keep an eye on them. Just chuck it up in a drill and give it a little file love.

Well, at least that's done...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Wow, pretty nice to have the problem solved so quickly. Hat's off to all who helped the OP!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by NJelksmacker
I took the scope off, then backed off the front screw of the front base and now the bolt fully closes and won't open on safe, safety works properly, looks like the front screw is too long. Thanks for all your help!

Same issue. Seen it twice now.

Glad it's fixed. How's it shoot?

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't have my notes in front of me, but were yours milled too?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (7mm_Loco, 406_SBC, 257robertsimp, AdventureBound, 13 invisible), 1,631 guests, and 858 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,324
Posts18,526,464
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.