Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
That's a great little tractor, it should serve you well. The Masseys in that size range are Japanese made, they're quality machines. Take care of it & it'll last forever. I agree with the others saying 4wd is a must, especially for pushing snow. The small tractors like that don't have the weight that the older 2wd ag tractors had that somewhat made up for lack of 4wd. I wouldn't own a tractor with a front end loader that wasn't 4wd. You'll find the front end loader to be one of the most useful pieces of gear you've ever owned, there's a million things you can do with one. I've used mine for hanging deer, moving furniture, trimming tree limbs, getting on top of the house, hauling out deer, etc. you'll find things you never dreamed of to do with the FEL.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Here's a pic of the actual tractor for sale.

[Linked Image]
I agree on the FWD. Definitely get it.

The low hp scares me on that particular model. I would feel more comfortable with about 30hp. I'm assuming you could get one that's the same size as the 20hp you've got pictured, that had more. Hell, my lawn tractor is 26 or 27hp. No offense and this ain't the same thing. Just saying though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Plus 100 on the front end loader, I absolutely love mine.

Did someone say hanging deer?? Just a couple of weeks ago, I used my front end loader to bring this buck into the shop and lift it to hang for skinning�..sure saves wear on the back!!

[Linked Image]

Cancer Sucks
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

[Linked Image]

The low hp scares me on that particular model. I would feel more comfortable with about 30hp. I'm assuming you could get one that's the same size as the 20hp you've got pictured, that had more. Hell, my lawn tractor is 26 or 27hp. No offense and this ain't the same thing. Just saying though.

This one is actually a 26 hp with 20 hp at the rear PTO. Sure, I'd like more oomph, but for what I'll be doing I feel confident that this little unit will be sufficient.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GonHuntin
Plus 100 on the front end loader, I absolutely love mine.

Did someone say hanging deer?? Just a couple of weeks ago, I used my front end loader to bring this buck into the shop and lift it to hang for skinning�..sure saves wear on the back!!

[Linked Image]

Boy, I hope finally owning a tractor helps me get nice bucks, too. grin

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

[Linked Image]

There's some wisdom to this. With tractors HP is like 2' longer when buying your first boat. wink

Still, the price is good on a great little tractor. MF small tractors are big here in my small farm community. They're great workhorses and easy to operate.

I wanted a MF compact tractor, but I had to elect to get a Chinese 30 hp from Northern Tools. I got a demo with 6 hours on it and a new loader for $10,200.00, delivered to my driveway. The same in a MF was $23,400.00. The Nortrak is now 10 years old and still working fine (one voltage regulator replacement is all needed in that time), but I still wish I had the wherewithal to get the MF. You'll be pleased with yours!

Congratulations. laugh

Last edited by luv2safari; 11/11/14.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I can't really afford it, but the fact is that my 10 year old quad is getting a bit tired of keeping up with all the snowplowing and mowing chores around my place. The quad is a 2005 Polaris Sportsman 700 twin, carbureted and while it's done a good job, it's getting older and certainly won't last forever, even though I've only put about 340 hours on it since I bought it new in July of 2005.

I found this tractor for sale a couple hours away with less than 60 hours on it. It has a front loader and an aftermarket back blade. Primary uses for the tractor would be snow removal, moving a bit of dirt here and there in an effort to get our yard done after only 11 years of living here, collecting firewood and just general use around my 40 acres.

Massey-Ferguson 1526

If I buy it, I'd sell the quad to offset some of the $14,500 asking price and eventually outfit it with a front blower, brush hog and tiller for our small garden. Seems just the perfect size for what needs doing around my place.

Anyone care to offer input on the M-F brand? Care and feeding?

Nice tractor and not a bad price the way it is set up. I don't think you will regret the purchase. This is the one i purchased 70 HP Kubota

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
you'll find things you never dreamed of to do with the FEL.
This is no lie: I once saw a guy that had his (running) push mower strapped to the loader on the front of an AC WD-45 and was trimming his hedge with it...

If I'd have ONLY had my camera at the time... Redneckiest thing I've ever seen around here.. laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The HP in that model is appropriate for its size & weight, it's not underpowered. It's about the same power/weight ratio as competitors tractors. Looking at comparable kubotas the Massey actually has a bit bigger engine which should give it a bit more low end. 26 hp in a tractor that size is plenty, it works a bit different than lawn mowers or vehicles. It's got almost the same HP as an old 8N Ford which weighed 50% more.

It's got plenty of power for its size, not to worry.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd bet you will run out of traction long before you run out of power.

Cancer Sucks
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congrats and enjoy.

Have Dog

Will Travel

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by GonHuntin
I'd bet you will run out of traction long before you run out of power.
Perfectly stated - and spot on..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

This one is actually a 26 hp with 20 hp at the rear PTO. Sure, I'd like more oomph, but for what I'll be doing I feel confident that this little unit will be sufficient.

Plenty of HP for what you wanna do Scot, it'll make a fine snow removal machine for you. The hydrostat trans is a big + in my book.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 12344mag
[quote=bruinruin]

The hydrostat trans is a big + in my book.

YES! cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You did real good. For 40 acres you have all the justification you need.

I used to have a Case 530 CK backhoe/loader.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Actually in tractors the older the better.. To a degree. The massy has iseki. Engine. Verry good product. Consider dealer support. Do you have a massy dealer handy?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I saw this thread and immediately thought of Dad's old tractor he bought for mowing the lawn when we built a house in the country. He had a Ford 1510D 4x4 with the little 3cyl diesel. 24 HP and absolutely unstoppable for anything you would ever dream of doing with a 24 horse tractor. We even loaded the weight rack up and moved bluestem roundbales with it a time or two. It was small for its power rating which was nice for moving and blading driveways etc.

He sold it last year and got a newer 30 or so horse New Holland because the original tires were about rotted off his old one and he just felt like getting something newer. It was an 89 model and he sold it for exactly what he paid for it after putting 1800 hours on it. The only thing it ever needed was a new battery every couple years. Would have made a superb snow plow tractor.

Hope the MF treats you right. You'll have lots of fun and find all sorts of new projects you never knew you needed to do now that you have a tractor. Have to turn up a half acre garden with it next spring.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Actually in tractors the older the better..

A lot of the old timers, including my dad, used to say that. Unsurprisingly they always seemed to be working on broken down junk tractors too. In my dad's case it was me that always got to work on the old junk. When I needed a tractor I bought new, now I just get on it and it starts then I do what needs to be done and get on with the rest of my day instead of turning wrenches.

It all depends upon how much your time is worth to you. Most of the old timers didn't have much to do other than sit in front of a country store and BS so working on broken equipment wasn't a hassle. In my dad's case he had a son that was handy with wrenches (me) that he was perfectly willing to put to work fixing broken equipment. When I got older and my time became my own then it became a lot more valuable to me therefore I don't want anything to do with old equipment. When I get older and retire maybe I'll become one of those old guys that restores old tractors, I have to admit I do like to see the stuff from bygone days all fixed up and running. Right now though I don't want anything to do with old equipment, it breaks too much. Give me the newer stuff any day.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Actually in tractors the older the better..

A lot of the old timers, including my dad, used to say that. Unsurprisingly they always seemed to be working on broken down junk tractors too. In my dad's case it was me that always got to work on the old junk. When I needed a tractor I bought new, now I just get on it and it starts then I do what needs to be done and get on with the rest of my day instead of turning wrenches.

It all depends upon how much your time is worth to you. Most of the old timers didn't have much to do other than sit in front of a country store and BS so working on broken equipment wasn't a hassle. In my dad's case he had a son that was handy with wrenches (me) that he was perfectly willing to put to work fixing broken equipment. When I got older and my time became my own then it became a lot more valuable to me therefore I don't want anything to do with old equipment. When I get older and retire maybe I'll become one of those old guys that restores old tractors, I have to admit I do like to see the stuff from bygone days all fixed up and running. Right now though I don't want anything to do with old equipment, it breaks too much. Give me the newer stuff any day.

My thoughts, exactly.

I'm looking at a new JD 3046R for the very reasons that you stated.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I can't really afford it, but the fact is that my 10 year old quad is getting a bit tired of keeping up with all the snowplowing and mowing chores around my place. The quad is a 2005 Polaris Sportsman 700 twin, carbureted and while it's done a good job, it's getting older and certainly won't last forever, even though I've only put about 340 hours on it since I bought it new in July of 2005.

I found this tractor for sale a couple hours away with less than 60 hours on it. It has a front loader and an aftermarket back blade. Primary uses for the tractor would be snow removal, moving a bit of dirt here and there in an effort to get our yard done after only 11 years of living here, collecting firewood and just general use around my 40 acres.

Massey-Ferguson 1526

If I buy it, I'd sell the quad to offset some of the $14,500 asking price and eventually outfit it with a front blower, brush hog and tiller for our small garden. Seems just the perfect size for what needs doing around my place.

Anyone care to offer input on the M-F brand? Care and feeding?

I was in a situation similar to yours at this beginning of this year.

I have 16 acres and owned a quad I never rode and an old Farmall Cub that was handy for mowing and plowing/discing my garden, and that was about it. I sold both and bought a Massey Ferguson 1734E, 4wd, front end loader, box blade, and a brush hog. Since then I have picked up an old Pittsburgh-Taylor double bottom plow, a set of discs, cultivators [as you can tell, I like to farm] and an old wagon [for firewood.] Chuck your chainsaw and milk crate full of tools, fuel, spare chains, etc. into the bucket and cut firewood until you can't cut anymore.

Best decision I ever made. The back blade you speak of [with an adjustable angle?] will do wonders with the snow [that will be my next purchase,] and you will find a million and one uses for the front end loader. After using it all summer, I can't imagine how I made it this long without one. Pretty soon, you will come up with new projects just so you can play on your new machine, as it is more fun than any four wheeler!

So far, with over 30 hours, my Massey is running just fine. Sips fuel, plenty of power (34hp,) and it goes anywhere I point it. Just keep the fluids changed per the manufacturers guidelines and use their recommended or name branded fluids.

As for implements, keep an eye out on Craigslist as there are always used ones for sale that are cheaper than new, and if they are older, usually built a damn sight heavier.

If it makes you feel better, since purchasing my place back in 2010, my Massey was the best decision I've made yet.

Hope that helps.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (11point, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 68 invisible), 2,955 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,383
Posts18,469,596
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.