Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I seem to have a soft-spot for modern rifles which have been well used, neglected or damaged.

I just acquired a post 64 push feed Winchester Model 70 action that was previously chambered in 270win.

The person I got it from acquired it from a friend who's basement flooded. Apparently the rifle was
wet and got a bit of surface rust on it. My seller, removed the barrel and took the firing pin out of the
bolt and glass beaded blasted everything.

As a result,. the 3 position safety now seems to have some dust or debris in it and it won�t move out of the
fire position.

This is the first Winchester I've ever owned or worked on so it's also a learning process for me. I've worked on
a ton of Remington 700's and figure it time to try something new.

I'm having trouble trying to find any information about completely disassembling the bolt. I figured it was
just a matter of knocking out a few small pins and giving everything a clean-up.

Is there a trick to completely stripping the firing pin assembly that I don�t know about?

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Trick? No.. Fairly simple actually.. All you might need is a small screw driver.. ('might' is the operative word)...

But you say he "took the firing pin out of the bolt..." Therefore he should be able to demonstrate the operation to you - unless he's a long ways away..

If you need my help - send me a PM and I'll walk you through it.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Last night I managed to remove the firing pin spring retainer and the firing pin came off.

I was able to slide the bolt shroud around on the firing pin and get he safety to engage. Definately feels dry or there is a bit of grit in there somewhere.

Now that the pressure is off the bolt shroud, do I just punch out the cross pin which holds the safety lever in place?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's all of the pieces. Hope it helps. [Linked Image]

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Mad_Mikee
Last night I managed to remove the firing pin spring retainer and the firing pin came off.

I was able to slide the bolt shroud around on the firing pin and get he safety to engage. Definately feels dry or there is a bit of grit in there somewhere.

Now that the pressure is off the bolt shroud, do I just punch out the cross pin which holds the safety lever in place?

Yes - but do it with both ends of that shroud covered so it doesn't take off on ya.. That's a SMALL pin...

Then carefully wiggle out that safety lever - containing the plunger and spring behind..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Perfect. Thanks guys.

I was trying to knock out that tiny pin that holds in the safety lever.

It didnt want to come out very easily, maybe it just needs a bit more time with some penetrating oil and a bigger hammer.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

161 members (1_deuce, 673, 3333vl, 450yukon, 264mag, 805, 21 invisible), 2,023 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,889
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.