Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
gmoats Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Friends,
I received this from a good friend that is a talented stock broker as well as a great shooter. No one can predict the future, but it's worth considering.
Greg

Gentlemen;
If you ever wanted another Colt, now would be the time to rush out and get one. Bloomberg and Wall Street Journal just reported that Colt Firearms will probably default on their $380 million in debt, later this month.

That means that if they cannot find additional financing (or a buyer) they will probably fold

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When you sell out to a single buyer (.gov, Wal-Mart, etc.), this happens every time.

That said, perhaps the new buyer will move Colt out of the USSA.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's a link to the Bloomberg article.

Bloomberg Article on Colt Defense.

Dan

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My opinion Colt priced themselves out of business. Most over rated handguns on the market. I knew when Colt stopped production on the Woodsman and Trooper they would eventually close their doors

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by bea175
My opinion Colt priced themselves out of business. Most over rated handguns on the market.
In their halcyon days, they made some mighty fine guns.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The new gun market won't miss a beat.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Agreed.

Over priced, poor management, piss poor product development, big govt. contacts, and union labor have all added to Colt's demise.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
It seems Colt does this every 10-15 years and has since the 1970s. Oh well, not like there aren't Colts to be had.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If a gun company can't make a profit in today's market, it doesn't deserve to survive.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Were stockbrokers in 2008 telling everyone to run out and buy a GM or Chrysler car if they wanted one because they were about to default? Companies default every day and life goes on. Maybe they go into Chapter 11 and the business or the key assets get sold to someone else who intends to use them. Remember when USRA shut down in 2006, and everyone lamented the end of the Winchester design, and guns got reintroduced in 2008 under new ownership?

The worst case is that someone like Bloomberg wastes money and buys the company or assets so it can shut them down, and you buy a Kimber/Springfield/Ruger/S&W/RIA/etc. instead. I really don't see a life altering downside.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
If a gun company can't make a profit in today's market, it doesn't deserve to survive.
Ain't that the truth.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Ain't that the truth.

When you've made sure your only real client/customer is .gov, you're doomed no matter the economy.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have never owned a Colt of any kind. Can't say I have never lusted over a Python or two, but never spent the money, so I won't necessarily miss them, but I do hate to see historic companies go by the wayside, especially gun companies.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
B
B
How many times has Colt been broke or near bankrupt?

If Colt does go under I am willing to bet the likes of FN, Beretta, ATK or some other company would pick them up if nothing else to keep the Colt name alive.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Agreed.

Over priced, poor management, piss poor product development, big govt. contacts, and union labor have all added to Colt's demise.

This ^^^^

Someone will buy the name, but not the labor force.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Colts problem is and has been poor management. The work force cannot make up for poor management.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Management/leadership is always the problem.

Always.

Always.

Always.

Bet on the bright side, my Delta may go up in value a smidge.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Colt's biggest problem was Colt Industries, the holding company - they ruined several good American companies by pulling all the profit out and allowing no re-investment. Holley Carburetor and Fairbanks-Morse are two examples - companies that once dominated world markets and are now shadows of their former selves. I'd almost bet Colt is still paying big royalties just to use their own name.

Colt did have a lot of union problems in the 1980's, but pretty well got their act together in the 1990's, and have been making good stuff since then.

I expect that if they fail, the brand will be picked up by somebody. Hopefully someone who will respect it and run it well.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by lastround
I have never owned a Colt of any kind. Can't say I have never lusted over a Python or two, but never spent the money, so I won't necessarily miss them, but I do hate to see historic companies go by the wayside, especially gun companies.

1+

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bummer. Hopefully Colt Mfg. will once again be spun off from Colt Defense.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (260madman, 25aught6, 2500HD, 1badf350, 1234, 260Remguy, 62 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,945
Posts18,519,152
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.