-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stay out Wyoming at all costs, you will not be happy here. Winters are long and cold, they start about the 20th of August and last until around the 1st of June. Summer is usually the 7th of July and maybe the morning of the 8th. The wind blows incessantly, 24-7, a calm day is when you can keep your hat on your head without a chin strap. There are no cultural events like cello recitals, gay poetry readings or book signings by liberal activist movie stars. This is due to the fact the natives HAVE no culture, they are all a bunch of beer swilling, tobacco spitting, gun toting ignorant rednecks to whom getting dressed to go out to dinner means a clean pair of jeans and a shirt that's been ironed , and never mind the cow manure on the boots. We have been "discovered" by Californians, refugees from Seattle and Portland, along with a whole herd of citified folks from Back East. This has driven real estate prices out of sight, I just last week saw a 1/4 acre lot with an outhouse and a wall tent go for $350,000. Fishing and hunting truely suck, you cant wet a line or walk in the woods without getting run over by a 4-wheeler with a Colorado license plate. Plus, there�s a real good chance you will perish in the volcanic explosion of the Yellowstone caldera.
No, better you should go to Montana, I hear it's real nice up there.

[Linked Image]

grin grin grin

[Linked Image]
GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Scouttracker: I did "choose" and the answer to your question is Montana - no other state even comes close to the opportunities you listed!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
1. Alaska (of course, I ain't skeered of the darkness).
2. Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, any of these could be #2

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Idaho.

Hang on to your memories; they're better than the real thing ever was - Joe Sherlock

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Alaska

IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
IDAHO

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Any state that isn't hot as a oven in the summer that has good panfishing and great bird and waterfowl hunting. Smallmouth fishing would be a must too.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Tejas

FJB & FJT
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wyoming. Hands down. Lotsa room.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Wyoming for me. Longer seasons and same types of country and animals as found in CO. And...not so many people and the majority of the people you do fine aren't usually from somewhere else. Montana would be a close second, but Wyoming has more public land, I think, so more and easier access. AK would be great, but seeing as I'm not independently wealthy, doing as much hunting as I'd like to do up there would be prohibitively expensive.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
One thing that Idaho doesn't have is hogs....yet. There's supposed to be a small herd near Bruneau that the IDFG keeps its eye on but last I heard they hadn't got any reports of them in several years. If there are any left, they had to have been illegally released. They're too far from any border for them to have wandered in on their own.
Maybe the local ranchers wisely shot them all out before they could get a population going.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Smack dab right where I am. Go where I want, when I want, to do what I want and come home to plan for the next trip. This,,, as long as gasoline and aviation fuel burns. Ak next summer/fall.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Have they finished the copper center lodge after the fire?

They rebuilt about half way, but have ran out of money. They're looking for investors.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Originally Posted by K1500
California for sure except...well... it's California. Wyoming, Idaho, or Montana sound pretty good.

Not far from the truth.
I'm thoroughly disgusted with it's people and politics, but if you are aggressive and motivated, California surely ain't the joke many want to believe it is when it comes to hunting and fishing, trust me on that... wink

The three other states mentioned are really the only other options for me outside of Alaska.

You stay there and keep fighting the good fight.
We've got plenty of Californian's and the mentality they bring with them already.

God knows I have that "California mentality" right?

Spare me dude... wink

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
One thing that Idaho doesn't have is hogs....yet. There's supposed to be a small herd near Bruneau that the IDFG keeps its eye on but last I heard they hadn't got any reports of them in several years. If there are any left, they had to have been illegally released. They're too far from any border for them to have wandered in on their own.
Maybe the local ranchers wisely shot them all out before they could get a population going.

Somebody say hogs?? From my lease in GA, just north of the Fla border and near the Okefenokee Swamp..

[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by K1500
California for sure except...well... it's California. Wyoming, Idaho, or Montana sound pretty good.

Not far from the truth.
I'm thoroughly disgusted with it's people and politics, but if you are aggressive and motivated, California surely ain't the joke many want to believe it is when it comes to hunting and fishing, trust me on that... wink

The three other states mentioned are really the only other options for me outside of Alaska.

You stay there and keep fighting the good fight.
We've got plenty of Californian's and the mentality they bring with them already.

God knows I have that "California mentality" right?

Spare me dude... wink

Salmonela,
You are no Rancho Loco, that's for sure!
You would be welcomed in Mt., Id. and Wy. I am sure! laugh

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh, I apologize to Field Grade for the rash reply on my part.
I know he's a good guy, but I do get weary of being slammed for my place of residence.

I fully understand the term "California Mentality" where people from different states move in, whine, bitch and complain about their new surroundings, the politics, and culture, all the while actively working to change it to be just like where they left from.
I can understand the anger and frustration when long time residents and natives of traditional conservative western states see California license plates invading their precious home land.

I'd be pissed too.

It just sickens me to be lumped in with these f * c k s, I'm surrounded by them, I'm furious just about every day about what goes on in much of this state, but sadly I'm married to a woman who simply will not leave her family and life long friends.
I live on an island surrounded by liberalism, animal rights activists, environmentalists and anti gunners.

My "island" is a secluded valley where myself and my neighbors cling to our traditional values and lifestyles, sometimes I wish we lived in a worse location so my wife would be more willing to leave California... crazy

[Linked Image]

Most 24HCF members have gotten to know me a bit, sorry to bore you again with the same old song and dance...

Proud NRA Life Member
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Montana, Idaho, Colorado and Wyoming would be at the top of the list. Come to think of it, they would be the entire list. They all have two species of deer, antelope, elk, moose, sheep and a wide assortment of varmints, small game, birds, migratory fowl and many species of fish. Also they have shooting facilities and homes and land are reasonably priced. I believe that Montana DNR provides considerable hunting and fishing opportunities.

Alaska, Washington, Oregon and California would get serious consideration. California has some serious hunting and fishing opportunities. In some areas hogs are treated almost as varmints.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I guess I don't understand--if there is a consistent list of the top-5 states for sportsmen to live, then why haven't most of you already moved there? What's stopping you?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We had WY as #1 and AZ as #2. The housing prices, for what we were lookig at, in Cheyenne increased over 30% in 3 years. A real estate agent summed it up, their economy never took a hit and the coal/oil/gas boom has sent prices skyrocketing. We caught the market in AZ as it was just starting to rebound, so price per sq ft was cheaper.

I think we will enjoy the winters better in AZ anyways and the dry heat doesnt bother us.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (160user, 16penny, 1234, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,382 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,518
Posts18,472,519
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.