Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This thought comes to me after the passing of Ray Magliozzi of Car Talk. He philosophized about the soul of a car. Is it the engine, the body, the dash board and steering wheel, or the heritage behind the name?

So what is the soul of the rifle? Some may believe that the soul of any rifle rests upon the shoulder of the shooter. But we have all had riles we have loved, some right out of the box and some after we have had built to our needs.

Could it be the action/receiver? It is the basis of any rifle but is it what endears us to the rifle as a whole?

The Barrel? Whether hand crafted or factory produced, barrels equal accuracy. Variables include length, contour, twist and crown.

Stock? Nothing feels better than a rifle that fits like a old worn in baseball glove.

The chambering? The .30-06 is a classic, the .375 H&H is iconic and many others have cult followings such as the .257 Robets or the .458 Lott. Does the head stamp on the brass determine the virtue of the rifle?

There could be many other things that determine the SOUL of a rifle, these are but a few. What would you consider the heart of a particular rifle?

Last edited by inland44; 11/17/14.

"Good tings come to dose who shoots straight." Alphonse Soady
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On a custom, it would probably be the (wood) stock or action.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by inland44
This thought comes to me after the passing of Ray Magliozzi of Car Talk. He philosophized about the soul of a car. Is it the engine, the body, the dash board and steering wheel, or the heritage behind the name?

So what is the soul of the rifle? Some may believe that the soul of any rifle rests upon the shoulder of the shooter. But we have all had riles we have loved, some right out of the box and some after we have had built to our needs.

Could it be the action/receiver? It is the basis of any rifle but is it what endears us to the rifle as a whole?

The Barrel? Whether hand crafted or factory produced, barrels equal accuracy. Variables include length, contour, twist and crown.

Stock? Nothing feels better than a rifle that fits like a old worn in baseball glove.

The chambering? The .30-06 is a classic, the .375 H&H is iconic and many others have cult followings such as the .257 Robets or the .458 Lott. Does the head stamp on the brass determine the virtue of the rifle?

There could be many other things that determine the SOUL of a rifle, these are but a few. What would you consider the heart of a particular rifle?

If rifles really had souls, I think that would come from previous owners and the hunts and memories they shared with those rifles. It would also come from a truly hand made piece, where blood sweat and tears along with precision, ingenuity and pride made that rifle what it is: Pre 64 model 70's come to mind. A lot of my rifles are over 60 years old and it's these older rifles that really speak to me. I hear them wanting to tell me stories every time I cycle the bolt or look at them. Some of the new CNC'd rifles feel "soulless to me".

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm with BSA on this one. I have my Grandfather's M54. There isn't a spot of blue on it. The checkering is long gone. Every time I reach in the back of the safe it reminds me of sitting in the back of his 49 Chevy PU (Which I also have) hearing the hounds running a buck in Chicken Hollow.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BSA and Blacktailer, and Ray of Cartalk, nailed it. By itself, a rifle or car is just a machine, but the interaction with those who built it and later used it make it more, as this gives it a connection to human experience.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I don't think rifles come with a soul, they earn that by going over the river and back...if you come across a rifle that has so many nicks and scratches on the outside it looks like it's been dragged behind a truck and the bluing is worn thin, but it's obviously been kept clean and oiled and in good working rig...then that rifle used to be somebody's baby, and it's probably taken more game than 99% of those fancy ones on the shelf with it.(as much as I love my CZ-452, it's got a long way to go before it catches my beat up old 10/22 in the game department)

Rifles with "soul" are the ones that you hold onto for no real good reason, they'll be the last ones to go when it comes down too it...whether it makes any sense or not.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
It is the thought a one man making most of the piece. My Wisner 7x57 is that for me. The banded front sight, blade, hood, sling swivel band, quarter rib, folding leaf rear sight, bottom metal, QD scope rings and base, bolt handle, grip cap.... He 33/40'd the Swede receiver and polished all internals to glass. All beautifully fitted and rust blued. All by one man from chunks of steel. I cannot imagine the hours.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

If rifles really had souls, I think that would come from previous owners and the hunts and memories they shared with those rifles. It would also come from a truly hand made piece, where blood sweat and tears along with precision, ingenuity and pride made that rifle what it is: Pre 64 model 70's come to mind. A lot of my rifles are over 60 years old and it's these older rifles that really speak to me. I hear them wanting to tell me stories every time I cycle the bolt or look at them. .

Drilled it

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I can't afford rifles with souls. Accuracy makes any one of mine sing, though...

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Nothing has more soul than an all black rifle.

Soul Train...........

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If rifles really had souls, I think that would come from previous owners and the hunts and memories they shared with those rifles.

I'm soooo in this camp.

I can say with certainty that I'd take Phil Shoemaker's "Old Ugly" over anything that's been crafted from the best-of-the-best with rich wood and engraving.

That's not to say I can't appreciate the finest of things but I look at my rifles as tools and what and where I use those tools is what gives these sorts of things meaning and soul for me.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SKane

If rifles really had souls, I think that would come from previous owners and the hunts and memories they shared with those rifles.

I'm soooo in this camp.

I can say with certainty that I'd take Phil Shoemaker's "Old Ugly" over anything that's been crafted from the best-of-the-best with rich wood and engraving.

That's not to say I can't appreciate the finest of things but I look at my rifles as tools and what and where I use those tools is what gives these sorts of things meaning and soul for me.

Don't confuse soul with character. Phil shoemaker's gun has more appeal due to character than soul...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Exactly

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The stories the rifle can tell isn't character - it's soul.
And, I likely didn't make that clear in my initial post.

WWP53D
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
But rifles can't tell stories. Never have been able to tell stories, never will be able to tell stories.

People can tell stories and any perceived 'soul' that a rifle may have is in the man that has used it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fine, you win. smile

WWP53D
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
This thought comes to me after the passing of Ray Magliozzi of Car Talk.

Point o' clarification, it was Tommy who died, not Ray.

In any case, the stories make the soul. And yes, it takes people to tell the stories, preferably in person. I acquired a 722 here on 24HCF that has wonderful character, and I'm sure it has stories to tell. But it's doubtful I'll ever hear them.

On the other hand, 3 generations before me have hunted with the G&H Mauser that great-grandad bought new from A&F in NYC. The first 2 generations left typed & bound accounts of their hunts with the rifle, some of which refer to it as, "J. Omar's .275 Rigby", even though the barrel is (clearly?) labeled, "7 m/m". And the third generation? Well, Dad still shuffles around the living room on cold winter nights, telling stories of each mount on the wall, with a gleam in his eye, and the subtle clinking of ice cubes in his bourbon and soda...

I'd say that rifle has a soul.

[Linked Image]

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by SKane

I'm soooo in this camp.

Don't confuse soul with character. Phil shoemaker's gun has more appeal due to character than soul...

Exactly..

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It's history, I have a couple. My POS WWII 44 BCD Mauser in a Bishop stock and Redfield peep sight. My first deer rifle. I would love to know it's history. Took many many MN deer with it, went into the Navy and gave to my BIL. Two years ago he gave it back to me. It will go to my son, not worth much at all. It does have a soul however. The second is a '55 Model 70 in 300H&H willed to me, it will be passed down.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Oh, never mind, I thought "gus" came up with a new name. Carry on.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 65 invisible), 2,970 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,849
Posts18,478,447
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.