R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
FWIW

4R55E

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by rost495

It sat all weekend and was cold/cool. Reverse just grinded while ago.... Drive is just fine.

Still leaning towards ford factory and in the meantime may pour some goop in...

I don't know your specifics, but when was the last time you changed the filter?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
More of the "more than u asked for" BUT the aftermarket such as jasper will sometimes beef up problem parts that the oem does not. Just sayin.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Originally Posted by rost495

It sat all weekend and was cold/cool. Reverse just grinded while ago.... Drive is just fine.

Still leaning towards ford factory and in the meantime may pour some goop in...

I don't know your specifics, but when was the last time you changed the filter?

This^^^ and fluids. Sounds like moisture in fluid.

FJB & FJT
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
I do all the work on it, can't recall taking it into a shop so I do keep track...

appx 10K miles ago it was due for its change, fluids and filter. It was done.

Right now going to pour a bit of additive in while searching for the transmission and just keep rolling.

Fairly sure I could replace the torque converter and one solenoid inside and be fine, but why pull something with that many miles on it.. and not replace it with as close to brand new as you can.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
More of the "more than u asked for" BUT the aftermarket such as jasper will sometimes beef up problem parts that the oem does not. Just sayin.

That ain't more, thats the stuff I"m after... if Jasper puts out a better reman than Ford, thats what I want to know.

My BIL was a ford mechanic for a long time, then a mechanic for a power plant until retirement and he just put in a Jasper and was not at all happy with it... but as we all know... YMMV

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by KFWA
I've heard good things about Jasper transmissions.

Have a shop for 35yrs and we like Jasper for engines and trans. Good nationwide warranty. We do put a few factory ones in also.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i couldn't tell you specifics on your vehicle, but when vehicles have weak parts the aftermarket will beef them up and the oems seem to not care. Plus sometimes the fault will show after time and the aftermarket gets to see it but oem has quit production and you get old parts or original spec

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I never ought a jasper tranny, but I have had bad luck with there engines. I work for a tranny rebuild shop and we have some good builders that take there job seriously but IMO, the real test is on the dyno. Some companies want there techs to pussy foot the dyno some want a real run. Our guys work the crap out of them, any questions and fail, goes to repair.

We don't sell 4R55's anymore, we mostly deal with Allison's but I have learned to either have the best shop you can afford to rebuild it or buy the best reman you can.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
I never ought a jasper tranny, but I have had bad luck with there engines. I work for a tranny rebuild shop and we have some good builders that take there job seriously but IMO, the real test is on the dyno. Some companies want there techs to pussy foot the dyno some want a real run. Our guys work the crap out of them, any questions and fail, goes to repair.

We don't sell 4R55's anymore, we mostly deal with Allison's but I have learned to either have the best shop you can afford to rebuild it or buy the best reman you can.

Looks like we are getting into the typical Chebby- ford argument.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wasn't trying to start anything like that. I was just trying to say that there's more than just putting a tranny together.

Besides, fords rule.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They'll claim that they were born that way.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Replacement motor and trans, I just can't see putting that money into a 20 year old exploder..

Well that's a positive solution... thanks for giving us all that little insight into your life...

but back on topic...a rebuilt motor and trans combo might be the way to go.. do it all at one time, have it assembled outside the vehicle and then just drop it in and connect all that needs to be connected...

Check on line to see what ATK offers... last I looked into them, you could get an engine and tranny with a 7 year 100K warranty, for a fairly decent price...

and yeah, ATK, the same company that owns Speer, RCBS, Federal etc...

http://www.atkvege.com/content/

and feel free to ignore any 'advise' from the Frisco Kid...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was actually in the a similar situation a couple of years back.

I had a 2002 Ford Explorer which may have been the worst built American car in the last 20 years.

The overdrive took a dump and car wouldn't shift on its own unless you let off the gas. Took it to Ford to have them flush the tranny, it made it worse.

Turns out is was the solenoids inside the tranny that were bad but they sold after market kits you could buy with special tools for about $200 to fix it.

But during my research, I learned alot about transmission rebuilds - I'm convinced the best transmission rebuild is taking it to a shop and you going over specifically what you want done.

Everyone assumes that a tranny rebuild is replacing worn parts, seals,etc, but what is considered worn by you may not be by the rebuilder - and you have a potential fail point 30K down the road again.

Also read about buying rebuilt tranny's from places like Auto-Zone. They sell a brand that has a decent warranty- until you actually try to get warranty work done.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Another vote for Jasper if you go the reman route. They do upgrade weak spots when they rebuild stuff. They also stand behind their products with a great national warranty.

For example, some years ago, during my days of being a parts store counterman (those were dark days, indeed), we had sold a reman 302 v8 for a Crown Vic to one of our regular technician customers. Some months after the motor swap the tech came by the store and let us know there was trouble with the motor making some unwanted noise. We called Jasper while, simultaneously, the tech dove into the engine to find the trouble.

He found a broken rocker arm, and luckily, no other secondary damage. He let us know he'd be happy with new replacement rocker arm and valve cover gasket and a small labor claim. Jasper said nope, pull the motor send it back and we'll send you a new (reman) motor and full labor allowance including new fluids. They even fast tracked delivery and had it there the next day, (normally it took 2 or 3 days to get something from them). That's a good way to treat your customers.

Over the time behind the counter I had the chance to sell around 1/2 a dozen different brands of motors and transmissions and, by far, had the least trouble from Jasper products, and even when we did they never gave us a hard time on warranties.

Last edited by blynyrd; 11/18/14.

-Brian-
Whatever you do, do well.
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Joel/AK

Hilarious. How do you find the best shop when you live in a town of under 4500. WEll thats the closest town and the one I work in. We do have one now, a shop that is, but I wouldn't trust those SOBs on a bet...

IF I knew of a trustworthy shop I"d yank it and run it by.

At this point I'm back to a toss up between Jasper and Ford.

Found out last night the issues my BIL had with Jasper may not be issues, might be the fact there were other issues along with the transmission at the same time, like replace both computers too...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 47 invisible), 2,061 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,877
Posts18,478,931
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.