Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I purchased the 3-15x42 a few weeks ago without a specific plan. I've been happy with the other SWFA SS scopes that I had and I just wanted to try this model. I have had my Ruger American for a month or two, shooting it with acobbled together set-up and still getting great results. Decided I would throw the 3-15 on the American and give it a try:

[Linked Image]

Talley Lightweight Lows provide a good fit, package weighs 8.0 pounds even. Balance point is about 1/2 an inch forward of the front action screw.

[Linked Image]

Plenty of clearance for the cat tail, though a possible knuckle buster if you're not careful. Really only a possible problem on 3x (as pictured).

[Linked Image]

The limited impressions I have with the scope is that glass is surprisingly good. The Turrets feel a lot better than the old SS Fixed 6 I had, positive and crisp. The adjustments are smooth and fluid for both the side focus and the magnification. Sorry, can't comment on tracking, RTZ, or any of the stuff that really counts, haven't shot it yet. Will probably have to wait until after Thanksgiving.

David

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'm thinking of snagging one of these soon myself. I looked through one at their store a while back, I liked it and would've taken it home but they were sold out.

BTW, what do you plan to shoot with that 8 twist 223? What's the mag box length in those?

Last edited by Walter_Sobchak; 11/17/14.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Fellow 'Fire member Cotis has a reasonably priced mag mod for shooting 75 amaxs and other long bullets for sale. I bought 3 and they work great.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Dude270
Fellow 'Fire member Cotis has a reasonably priced mag mod for shooting 75 amaxs and other long bullets for sale. I bought 3 and they work great.

Thanks for the heads up!

I've got one and it works great. Still waiting on my others. I haven't loaded any amax's yet. Loaded some 75bthp's out just kissing the lands and they were shooting really accurately out to 500 on Sunday. Am now in mass production mode with the 75bthp's. Will try the amax's soon - need to get some H335 first...

David

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Nice set up David.

I noticed Ruger is running a 10" twist on the 22-250 American, which I definitely like better than 14", but wish they had just run an 8" on it too.

An 22-250 with 1 in 8" twist for under $400 would be something!

Bill

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
canazes,

H335 does ok with the heavies in my experience but don't worry if you cant find any, varget and H4895 are my two favorites. Tac has shown promise for me but I am just starting with it. Lots of folks like R 15 too.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
David,

Thanks for posting this. Not to resurrect or belabor the "big/heavy scope on light rifle" threads, but wondering your impression of heft and balance and I guess "top-heaviness." I'm looking to throw something similar on a Tikka Superlight in .223.

Thanks!

Last edited by Akbob5; 11/17/14.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Walter,

I bought the rifle with the intent of putting together a cheapo prairie dog rifle for an upcoming spring hunt Invitation. Original plan was to shoot 53grn VMax's at the prairie dogs. I was in a local store and saw a few pounds of H322 so I grabbed them. The H322 was accurate w/ the vmax's but the velocity wasn't there - only getting about 3100fps.

I decided to buy some 75bthp to play with the H322. I know a lot of knowledgable shooter's are pushing the 75amax's, but I've also read of some guys having difficulty getting the, to shoot in their Ruger's. The 75bthp seemed like a sure thing. I loaded them under 22.0 grns of H322, COAL OF 2.300 for a light kiss, made possibel due to Cotis's mag mod. Velocity was again slow, 2800fps but accuracy was phenomenal.

I went home that night and loaded up 100 of the 75bthp's. Went back the next day with my wife and went directly to the 500 range where we can shoot steel from 3-500. Dialed in the scope and my wife started shooting. I could hear every shot making a hit at 500, but didn't have a spotting scope to see what's going on. My wife started lauughing - she told the rifle was hitting exactly to POA and she could watch her hits in the scope. She then loaded another magazine and shot the 4 corners of the 12" range plate at 500. The plate had been shot so much it was hard to see center hits, but there was still plenty of paint on the 4 corners to clearly see the precise hits in each.

We shot the rest of the 100 I had made, mostly my wife, from field positions. That evening when I got home I started mass production on the 75bthp's. That's also when I decided to slap the 3-15 SS on there. I think this little Ruger is going to get shot a lot!

tx270,

Agreed! A $400 Factory 8" 22-250 would be awesome!

Dude,

I was figuring the H355 would be a good bet for the 53vmax's and the 75amax's. I've got plenty to shoot for now, but I will try some of the alternative 's if I can't find the H335 in the next month or so.

Akbob,

I never could understand the fuss over the heavy scope thing. The worst sin the heavy scope does is turn what should have been a 7.25 pound rifle into an 8 pound rifle. Balance is still right in front of the front action screw. I would never use a scope like this for a big game rifle (now). I've come to realize 6-9x is all I need to make reliable hits out to 500+ and that usually can be had for less weight.

This isn't a mountain rifle or a serious hunting rifle for me - it's a prairie dog/range toy high volume shooter. I know my wife and daughter will be happier with extra x's at the range and I think it could prove useful shooting prairie dogs (though 15x is probably more than I need). Anyway, I'll play with it for now, can always be swapped out later if I'm so inclined...

David

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
that actually doesnt look half bad. im like you, I've been putting a lotta rounds downrange in my .223 Merican. mine seems to have a really short throat though. I cant even chamber a 75 bthp seated to 2.3".

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Sounds like a fun, inexpensive little rig you have there. I have thought of trying the 75hpb's in my 8 twist predator pursuit AR out mid range on steel as well. I'd love to try the 75 amax, but single loading an AR doesn't appeal to me. The 75 hpbt may be doable at mag length.

I may have to look at setting up something like what you have..

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Walter_Sobchak
Sounds like a fun, inexpensive little rig you have there. I have thought of trying the 75hpb's in my 8 twist predator pursuit AR out mid range on steel as well. I'd love to try the 75 amax, but single loading an AR doesn't appeal to me. The 75 hpbt may be doable at mag length.

I may have to look at setting up something like what you have..

I think a lot of guys are using the 75hpbt's in their AR's to mag length with good results, I know ''Stick has posted about using them a bunch. I'm betting you'll have good results jumping 'em!

David

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
that actually doesnt look half bad. im like you, I've been putting a lotta rounds downrange in my .223 Merican. mine seems to have a really short throat though. I cant even chamber a 75 bthp seated to 2.3".

Interesting - I only have the one, so not sure if mine's normal or yours is. 2.30 is kissing on mine - I can just see the rifling marks in the bullet on loaded rounds.

David

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm thinking of snagging one of these soon myself. I looked through one at their store a while back, I liked it and would've taken it home but they were sold out.

BTW, what do you plan to shoot with that 8 twist 223? What's the mag box length in those?

If you're in the market, I'd wait till Black Friday. SWFA puts their stuff on sale Black Friday - Cyber Monday and usually around Tax Day. I picked my 3-15 up last year for around $540 I believe.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Canazes9

Interesting - I only have the one, so not sure if mine's normal or yours is. 2.30 is kissing on mine - I can just see the rifling marks in the bullet on loaded rounds.

David

I am sure yours is the normal one. not only will mine not chamber the 2.3" COAL, if i try to close the bolt the bullet wedges so tightly in the lands it has to be tapped out with a cleaning rod. on the bright side, it shoots 65 g SGK's seated to 2.25" just fine, although they are definitely in the lands.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
David,

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking forward to learning to shoot long range and I think the 8 twist Tikka will be just the tool, pretty much same thought and principle as you.

Good luck with yours, sounds like you are having a blast - as it should be!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I am sure yours is the normal one. not only will mine not chamber the 2.3" COAL, if i try to close the bolt the bullet wedges so tightly in the lands it has to be tapped out with a cleaning rod. on the bright side, it shoots 65 g SGK's seated to 2.25" just fine, although they are definitely in the lands.

My RAR chamber is tight like yours. I can't chamber most factory stuff as it drives the bullets into the lands HARD.

Last edited by Pittu; 11/18/14.

Eat moose, burn spruce
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Pittu

My RAR chamber is tight like yours. I can't chamber most factory stuff as it drives the bullets into the lands HARD.

I would think Ruger would make this right - have u contacted them?

David

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, that's what I originally thought, but since I reload, I've decided that it is an advantage in alot of ways.

The trouble is making sure no one else gets ahold of and shoots the rifle with ammo that is too long for the chamber.

Im still experimenting with it, but I've found two loads so far that it shoots well, so I may keep it as is.

Eat moose, burn spruce
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I jump Hornie 75 hpbt in 3 different AR's without any issue's. I push them HARD with TAC and they deliver.

Also use them in my 223 AI bolt gun, I usually run them with H335 or 8208XB in that platform although TAC works well there also.

I heard that LEVER of all things is doing good things up on the Medford for Boxer.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by tarheelpwr

If you're in the market, I'd wait till Black Friday. SWFA puts their stuff on sale Black Friday - Cyber Monday and usually around Tax Day. I picked my 3-15 up last year for around $540 I believe.

Your read my mind, I'll be starting my shopping early...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

342 members (1lesfox, 160user, 2500HD, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 28 invisible), 1,977 guests, and 1,097 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,026
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.