Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Sponxx Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Hey guys, any recommendations for a nice beach resort in the Caribbean for a couple? May get the chance to escape with my wife for 3-5 days without kids and she loves the beach and white sand.
Any recommendations?
Thanks a lot

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Golden Eye in Jamaica

Golden Eye is located in the parish of St. Mary in Oracabessa Bay, just 20 minutes outside of Ocho Rios on the north coast of Jamaica.It features 52-acres of air-conditioned facilities including Ian Fleming's historical villa, which sleeps ten people, 13 one- and two-bedroom villas, and six 'Lagoon Cottages' in addition to two restaurants, poolside dining and beach bars, a bistro for fine dining, a spa, two pools, and private beaches and coves.

[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First off, keep your search to private all inclusive resorts. Beaches that are not fenced off by a resort are not safe places to be.

I have really enjoyed my three trips to the Atlantis resort. Make sure your departure is NOT on a Sunday, give yourself an extra day or two. Sunday out of there is a lost cause with unbelievably long lines and many people, perhaps most, missing thier flights due to the poor service at that airport. Graft and bribes are the only way to get out of there other than arriving four hours early to MAYBE get on your airplane on time. The long lines and waiting can just ruin the relaxed feeling you had until that day.

Sandals resorts and others where you pay one flat amount for accomodations AND meals etc are the way to fly IMO. BTDT several times when I was healthy and working.

Good luck and have a wonderful time!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Safariman, my sister just booked Atlantis, and wants me to bring my family. I got sticker shock from the Tower prices (she's using miles, they generate a on of from her husband being a pilot).

Comfort Suites across the street gets really good reviews, for 1/2 the cost. They have a deal with Atlantis, and you get full access. They also are supposed to have a good breakfast each morning, which would save quite a bit over a week.

Just curious if you had any experience/thoughts?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife and I stayed at The Jamaica Inn, located in Ocho Rios. It is a quintessential Caribbean resort, built before the mega all-inclusives. If you want quiet and romantic with a pristine, private beach, this is it. It is Old World Class, frequented by many Europeans.

The beach is guarded by two sets of coral cliffs on each side, there is some snorkeling available right off the beach or you can pay "The boat guy" to take you out to the reef.

We never saw more than 6 people on the beach at one time.

[Linked Image]

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MoBassMan
Safariman, my sister just booked Atlantis, and wants me to bring my family. I got sticker shock from the Tower prices (she's using miles, they generate a on of from her husband being a pilot).

Comfort Suites across the street gets really good reviews, for 1/2 the cost. They have a deal with Atlantis, and you get full access. They also are supposed to have a good breakfast each morning, which would save quite a bit over a week.

Just curious if you had any experience/thoughts?

I should qualify my comments by putting forth that I have not been to the Carribean in several years. 4 or 5. I had not heard of that resort but if staying there still gets you into the attractions and beach at Atlantis, no reason not to save the dough IMO.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Turks and Caicos is my favorite. The Alexandra resort is not new so its cheaper but still nice and clean- the best value IMHO. If you want to spend more money go next door to The Regent Grand, it's very nice.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My wife and I stayed a week at Atlantis and loved it. A guy that works for me stayed at the Comfort suites a couple of weeks ago. Overall he enjoyed it and the access to Atlantis. But he also said next time he would go to Atlantis "for the experience". There were some specials that would have allowed him to stay at Atlantis for roughly the cost of the Comfort Suites.

Last edited by JimR; 11/18/14.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks guys. Jim, I'm just not seeing any specials, is the problem. I see $350 for Atlantis, and $200 for Comfort Suites. I figure breakfast for the family there makes it close to 1/2 price.

If you run across a special, please feel free to link it, or PM me.

Thanks
Bob

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think the special was on "Living Social" or a similar site. I will see him tomorrow or the next day and let you know if I find out anything that might be helpful.

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks, that's a site I don't check often enough.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by safariman
Graft and bribes are the only way to get out of there other than arriving four hours early to MAYBE get on your airplane on time.

Mark... You need to stop posting on topics like you are an expert.
I've been down there more than a few times. Probably over twenty times and that's a conservative guess. I can say with a certain amount of confidence that you are wrong because those folks down there are in the service business 24/7.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Boca Paila. The owner, (Javier Gonzalez) also has a 6-place Cessna floatplane for quick trips to Belize. (The 2nd largest barrier reef in the world).

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I will not ever go to Atlantis again. Way over priced. Unless you like to burn 100 dollar bills, go somewhere else. the last time I was in Jamaica, you were told not to leave the resort. If I wanted that I could book a room at the county jail.
I would take Aruba anytime. The weather is always mild with a nice breeze. What happened to Natalie Holloway happens daily in the US. I walked everyday, all over the island. no worries. Friendly people. If you do go, stop by "scott's brats", in front of playa linda. Great brats, nice people.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I will tell you 2 places to stay away from..... Nassau in the Bahamas and the Turks and Caicos.

Unfriendly staff, poor service everywhere, and prices for everything-outrageous.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
Originally Posted by safariman
Graft and bribes are the only way to get out of there other than arriving four hours early to MAYBE get on your airplane on time.

Mark... You need to stop posting on topics like you are an expert.
I've been down there more than a few times. Probably over twenty times and that's a conservative guess. I can say with a certain amount of confidence that you are wrong because those folks down there are in the service business 24/7.

I have been there several times, used to go there a lot on company paid for reward excursions. I learned early about the Sunday rush to get out. I qualified my Statement with the provisio that I have not been down that way in 4 or 5 years. When I did go, the Nassau airport was horribly understaffed. I was told they do this on purpose so that the ticket handlers could make extra money by giving priority to the outbound passengers who knew to walk to the front of the line with some green attached to thier itinerary and ticket. They well may have cleaned that up since then. I hope so.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Fair enough, what kind of company gives those kind of perks, what kind of work are they rewarding?
Our public transit system gave me a little 40 year pin, I think a trip sounds a lot nicer. frown

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Partsman
Fair enough, what kind of company gives those kind of perks, what kind of work are they rewarding?
Our public transit system gave me a little 40 year pin, I think a trip sounds a lot nicer. frown

Insurance companies are very good about trips to be earned. Where I was it was based partly on new policies sold/production, but your 25th month retention i.e. clients staying with you (From good service and being happy with the product they purchased) was a heavily weighted part of the equation. Unless 90% of your clients still had their policies or annuities in force 25 months after taking them out, you were out of the running for trips or quarterly bonuses. Only about the top 10% of agents in any company typically earn a nice trip once a year.

Last I heard, Sun Life of Canada was a really good Canadian company if you wanted to give that career a shot.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Used to babysit for one of the top men in that company, he always said he could advise me on making later life better for me, he lived near us and of course we all knew each other back then.
Wish I had taken his advise.
His father in-law got me in where I am today, forty years later.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I sure loved my career. Every week I meet people here who tell me how much better I made thier lives. Very rewarding. When I get a new Kidney I may go back into it. My former colleagues and manager are anxiously hoping I will, per conversations and messages even just last week.

Might not be too late to start a second career for you! Give it a look-see. I have mentored a few folks here at the 'fire who are still doing well with their careers in insurance. I will try to give you a hand up if you give it a go.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

296 members (257 mag, 1badf350, 160user, 260Remguy, 06hunter59, 257 roberts, 29 invisible), 2,043 guests, and 1,075 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,327
Posts18,526,541
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.