R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by asphaltangel
You know, if that guy that Rob is trumpeting happened to be gay, Rob would be the first to want him burned at the stake.

It's odd sometimes what folks find to defend and what they rail against.

I will agree it's odd [or at least, interesting] what folks defend and what pushes their buttons. Did Rob state that he hates gays?

That'd be an understatement. Rob hates gays, and anyone that might be friendly toward them and doesn't hate them just as much as he does.

Homosexuality is wrong for the same reason chattel slavery and genoicde are wrong. Its not possible to hold to absolute moral principles and condemn slavery (and racial discrimination), for example, without also condemning homosexuality. The Constitution is color blind, or of right, ought to be. However, it is not indifferent to moral distinctions. There is no moral distinction between black and white as there is between male and female. There is no moral basis for denying blacks equal protection of the laws, as there is for denying equal protection to sodomites or their abhorrent practices. Blacks are human beings in the order of nature, but blacks and whites are human beings in that same order of nature---the same nature which condemns homosexuality. Racial discrimination cannot be justified under the Constitution, including the most invidious form of racial discrimination: affirmative action. Discrimination against homosexuals is entirely permissible under the Constitution, properly understood.

That is not the same as saying I hate homosexuals. However, it is fair to infer from my posts that I don't go out of my way to associate with them. I don't care for their political agenda at all; nor do I care to be around them. That said, I've had several clients who were homosexuals and they seemed pleased with my work. I also frequent a business (green house garden supply) owned by two sodomites and we have a friendly, cordial relationship. However, a competing business recently opened in our town by a Mennonite family. I recently told my wife we should be giving all of our business to the Mennonites, unless they don't have what we need to purchase. My reason for doing so is that I would rather enrich the Mennonites than the Sodomites. grin I think this is entirely consistent with condemning the racism that has been displayed (and excused by so many) on this board.

Jordan

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Does your ten commandments say Love thy neighbor except the [bleep]-gets?

Last edited by RichardAustin; 11/21/14.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fun thread!

I like the dog analogy. Not all dogs are the same, even though they're all dogs.

I think the same can apply to people. What was it, all people are equal, but some are less equal than others?

Don't take my word for it, the stats are there to support it, as has also been mentioned.

LOL
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by RichardAustin

The Bible explicitly condemns homosexuality and therefore implicitly denies any requirement to "love" sodomites, you simplistic dolt. wink

Jordan

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by RobJordan
Originally Posted by asphaltangel
You know, if that guy that Rob is trumpeting happened to be gay, Rob would be the first to want him burned at the stake.

It's odd sometimes what folks find to defend and what they rail against.

I will agree it's odd [or at least, interesting] what folks defend and what pushes their buttons. Did Rob state that he hates gays?

That'd be an understatement. Rob hates gays, and anyone that might be friendly toward them and doesn't hate them just as much as he does.

Homosexuality is wrong for the same reason chattel slavery and genoicde are wrong. Its not possible to hold to absolute moral principles and condemn slavery (and racial discrimination), for example, without also condemning homosexuality. The Constitution is color blind, or of right, ought to be. However, it is not indifferent to moral distinctions. There is no moral distinction between black and white as there is between male and female. There is no moral basis for denying blacks equal protection of the laws, as there is for denying equal protection to sodomites or their abhorrent practices. Blacks are human beings in the order of nature, but blacks and whites are human beings in that same order of nature---the same nature which condemns homosexuality. Racial discrimination cannot be justified under the Constitution, including the most invidious form of racial discrimination: affirmative action. Discrimination against homosexuals is entirely permissible under the Constitution, properly understood.

That is not the same as saying I hate homosexuals. However, it is fair to infer from my posts that I don't go out of my way to associate with them. I don't care for their political agenda at all; nor do I care to be around them. That said, I've had several clients who were homosexuals and they seemed pleased with my work. I also frequent a business (green house garden supply) owned by two sodomites and we have a friendly, cordial relationship. However, a competing business recently opened in our town by a Mennonite family. I recently told my wife we should be giving all of our business to the Mennonites, unless they don't have what we need to purchase. My reason for doing so is that I would rather enrich the Mennonites than the Sodomites. grin I think this is entirely consistent with condemning the racism that has been displayed (and excused by so many) on this board.

Jordan

Except for that part where the Bible condones slavery:

Leviticus
However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

If you buy a Hebrew slave, he is to serve for only six years. Set him free in the seventh year, and he will owe you nothing for his freedom. If he was single when he became your slave and then married afterward, only he will go free in the seventh year. But if he was married before he became a slave, then his wife will be freed with him. If his master gave him a wife while he was a slave, and they had sons or daughters, then the man will be free in the seventh year, but his wife and children will still belong to his master. But the slave may plainly declare, 'I love my master, my wife, and my children. I would rather not go free.' If he does this, his master must present him before God. Then his master must take him to the door and publicly pierce his ear with an awl. After that, the slave will belong to his master forever. (Exodus 21:2-6 NLT)

You are even allowed to sell you own daughter into slavery:

When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment. (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)

You can beat your slaves, so long as you don't beat them to death:

When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. (Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)

Jesus even approves of beating your slaves in Luke:

The servant will be severely punished, for though he knew his duty, he refused to do it. "But people who are not aware that they are doing wrong will be punished only lightly. Much is required from those to whom much is given, and much more is required from those to whom much more is given." (Luke 12:47-48 NLT)

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by stxhunter

LOL! That's friggin hilarious! laugh

Kelly
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
[quote=RichardAustin]Does your ten commandments say Love thy neighbor except the [bleep]-gets? [/quote

There were less diverse ethnic groups back them.

I've been so overwhelmed with fake news that I'm now nuts. Let's go Brandon
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I will agree it's odd [or at least, interesting] what folks defend and what pushes their buttons. Did Rob state that he hates gays? [/quote]

That'd be an understatement. Rob hates gays, and anyone that might be friendly toward them and doesn't hate them just as much as he does. [/quote]

Jordan[/quote]

Except for that part where the Bible condones slavery:

Leviticus
However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

If you buy a Hebrew slave, he is to serve for only six years. Set him free in the seventh year, and he will owe you nothing for his freedom. If he was single when he became your slave and then married afterward, only he will go free in the seventh year. But if he was married before he became a slave, then his wife will be freed with him. If his master gave him a wife while he was a slave, and they had sons or daughters, then the man will be free in the seventh year, but his wife and children will still belong to his master. But the slave may plainly declare, 'I love my master, my wife, and my children. I would rather not go free.' If he does this, his master must present him before God. Then his master must take him to the door and publicly pierce his ear with an awl. After that, the slave will belong to his master forever. (Exodus 21:2-6 NLT)

You are even allowed to sell you own daughter into slavery:

When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment. (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)

You can beat your slaves, so long as you don't beat them to death:

When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. (Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)

Jesus even approves of beating your slaves in Luke:

The servant will be severely punished, for though he knew his duty, he refused to do it. "But people who are not aware that they are doing wrong will be punished only lightly. Much is required from those to whom much is given, and much more is required from those to whom much more is given." (Luke 12:47-48 NLT)
[/quote]

Slavery was common in antiquity. The Bible does not justify chattel slavery as a positive moral good. It recognizes the existence of and tolerates slavery. The Christian case against slavery, based on the bible, is much more compelling than the anecdotal evidence you have mustered of tolerance for a practice common in the old world.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

"That said, I've had several clients who were homosexuals and they seemed pleased with my work".

I have no doubt they walked away happy. :>)

Last edited by okok; 11/21/14.

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Luke 12: 47-48 does not justify the beating of slaves. It justifies the punishment of servants. Nice try Sniper. Your anti-religious bigotry blinds you to the actual meaning of printed words.

IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by RobJordon
Slavery was common in antiquity. The Bible does not justify chattel slavery as a positive moral good. It recognizes the existence of and tolerates slavery. The Christian case against slavery, based on the bible, is much more compelling than the anecdotal evidence you have mustered of tolerance for a practice common in the old world.

So your position is that God knew Slavery was evil, but decided to tolerate if for 3000 years just because it was "common". If God know slavery was so evil, why not include a simple commandment "Thou shalt not own another human being as property"?

It didn't, it condoned it, which by your own admission is evil, and now you claim there is some tortured excuse proclaiming the Bible doesn't say what it actually says.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by RobJordon

So your position is that God knew Slavery was evil, but decided to tolerate if for 3000 years just because it was "common". If God know slavery was so evil, why not include a simple commandment "Thou shalt not own another human being as property"?

It didn't, it condoned it, which by your own admission is evil, and now you claim there is some tortured excuse proclaiming the Bible doesn't say what it actually says.

I don't know why you are invoking the Bible in a secular discussion about racism. If you want to start a discussion re why you don't believe in the Bible, start a new thread. Not gonna let you hijack this one.

BTW, I take your refusal to respond to my correction of your misrepresentation of Luke as an admission you were wrong.

Last edited by RobJordan; 11/21/14.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I did not follow all of this post only the initial thread. Reminds of the story of the millionaire farmer. "I kept farming until I run outta money". Behind every good rancher is a wife who works in town. Best of luck to the Centre: I truly hope he can farm until all 37.5 million is gone, or hopefully he can make a living at it and not go broke.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Luke 12: 47-48 does not justify the beating of slaves. It justifies the punishment of servants. Nice try Sniper. Your anti-religious bigotry blinds you to the actual meaning of printed words.

No, the actual work used in the Greek is Doulos, which translates as slave, not servant, and the Greek speaks of being lashed, or skinned (since lashing commonly removed the skin). Do you think these lashings were for paid servants who could quit, or property, that was owned, that could not quit?

As for your biblical case against slavery, lets here what you have that's stronger then the Bibles direct approval of the institution of slavery.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That part of the Bible was used a lot in Christan churches throughout the land before the Civil War to make everybody sleep better.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

No, the actual work used in the Greek is Doulos, which translates as slave, not servant, and the Greek speaks of being lashed, or skinned (since lashing commonly removed the skin). Do you think these lashings were for paid servants who could quit, or property, that was owned, that could not quit?

As for your biblical case against slavery, lets here what you have that's stronger then the Bibles direct approval of the institution of slavery.

Look Troll, if you want to start a thread on why you don't like the Bible or Christianity, have at it. You're not gonna hijack this one.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Look Troll, if you want to start a thread on why you don't like the Bible or Christianity, have at it. You're not gonna hijack this one.

Troll??

You brought up Homosexuality, Chattel Slavery, and the Bible, not me.

If you want to discover who hijacked this thread I suggest you take a look in the mirror.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are three discrete communities of Negroes in the United States. I have spent years in close association with two and believe that together they constitute the vast majority of American Negroes.

I have merely observed (from afar, thank you!) the third group � the ghetto Negroes, whom it seems are the only Negroes that the typical Campfire opiner encounters, observes, or considers.

These are the two large communities of American Negroes whom I know, love, and respect �
� Uneducated or barely educated domestics and workers � honest, personable, and responsible � many of whom rear their sons and daughters to become members of the second group.
� Well educated, highly respectable professionals � doctors, lawyers, nurses, mathematicians, chemists, military leaders.

Density of dermal melatonin is not the only characteristic of American Negroes, and it doesn't determine who they are.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RichardAustin

The Bible explicitly condemns homosexuality and therefore implicitly denies any requirement to "love" sodomites, you simplistic dolt. wink

Jordan
The Bible also does NOT condemn slavery...you dolt.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

Troll??

You brought up Homosexuality, Chattel Slavery, and the Bible, not me.

If you want to discover who hijacked this thread I suggest you take a look in the mirror.

Nice job of misrepresenting Troll. Thankfully we can fact check this thread. I did not raise the issue of homosexuality. Others did and I responded. Nor did I bring up the Bible. Others raised the ten commandments. I responded. So, stop trolling or start your own thread.

Last edited by RobJordan; 11/21/14.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

380 members (1Longbow, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 160user, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 34 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 1,049 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,982
Posts18,499,652
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.