-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 40+ miles between Wolcott Junction to Coopers Cove are insanely windy - thus all those wind turbines...

When you move to Wyoming, this only happens to you once before you learn two rules:

Codes of the West:

1. Only one car door opens at a time.

2. Always open the door with a very firm grip on the door handle.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 11/23/14.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
3. park facing the wind

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
The 40+ miles between Wolcott Junction to Coopers Cove are insanely windy - thus all those wind turbines...

When you move to Wyoming, this only happens to you once before you learn two rules:

Codes of the West:

1. Only one car door opens at a time.

2. Always open the door with a very firm grip on the door handle.

[Linked Image]

Exact same thing happened to me, brand new Toyota 92 pickup, wife opened the door downwind, got the door and the fender.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I was in Medicine Bow in the early 80's when they built the first large wind turbines near East Allen Lake. They got the first tower built and were preparing to set the turbine when the wind up and blew the tower over.

Last time I was there those turbines were derelict with parts and pieces strewn all about. Don't know if they are even still standing.

Wind has been known to blow trains off tracks between Laramie and Cheyenne.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gmoats

�..I'm told that 30 miles both east and west of Laramie on I-80 is the most dangerous stretch of road in America. Last year when I drove to the SHOT show, I counted 9 big-rig trucks blown over on their sides between Laramie and Rawlins (about 90 miles).

I don�t know about statistics, but I-80 westbound between Cheyenne and Laramie is dangerous. I never ride alongside an 18 wheeler except when passing, and only then by punching the accelerator and getting past it quickly. I never pass an 18 wheeler unless it is on a straightway or a curve that will put the centrifugal force of the trailer in the direction opposite from my lane. You have to pay attention or the back of a trailer will whip into your lane and swat you like a bug. The worst part is that the truckers are all talking on cell phones while driving this stretch.

Eastbound isn�t so bad because the 10 mile uphill from Laradise to the summit has most trucks going about 20 mph. The biggest danger is if one jumps in your lane while you�re doing 75.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 68 invisible), 2,976 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,930
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.