Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
yar Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm looking for a place to do a do it yourself antelope hunt. I will have a week avilible to hunt next season. I have been considering Wyoming and Montana, but open to any suggestions.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have never hunted Montana, but such a hunt would be pretty dang easy to pull off in Wyoming. Especially if you can pull a tag in a public lands area. Still very doable if not.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Casper is a good place. Usually takes only one PP to draw. I went a few years back and we filled all 3 tags by 1pm the first day. Lots of bucks running around.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Repeat after me: There are NO antelope in Wyoming. There are NO antelope in Wyoming. THERE ARE NO ANTELOPE IN WYOMING. You need to go to Colorado or Montana!

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
Repeat after me: There are NO antelope in Wyoming. There are NO antelope in Wyoming. THERE ARE NO ANTELOPE IN WYOMING. You need to go to Colorado or Montana!

if you're talking western WY, you don't even need the sarcasm smiley - there really are very few antelope compared to even 4-5 years ago shocked

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Truth Lefty. I've been making the trip from Jackson to Green River about every week and I'm really not seeing many antelope between Pinedale and Rock Springs. No idea why. Extra pressure from the gas field workers? A couple of tough winters? Coyotes?

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Eastern WY as stated above.
I travel a bit and we have them all over on this side of WY.
DIY hunts are easy also, most out of state hunters connect out here.
Many more are trying to shoot the biggest buck they can find & that makes all speed goats nervous and run at the 1st sight of a person or vehicle within a mile.
You will have a lot more luck if your choice is a doe.
Im lucky, I just drive 30 miles shoot 2 and come home, there really is no "hunting" them.
Colorado has plenty also, but you will have better luck on a private ranch there, just ask a rancher, some say shoot them all, others will want $$.
You should be able to shoot 600 yards and kill what you aim at.
Ive yet to shoot one over 344 yards though, spot & stalk or sit & wait is the game.

Did I make you cry......boooo hooo, life goes on.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 5spd
Many more are trying to shoot the biggest buck they can find & that makes all speed goats nervous and run at the 1st sight of a person or vehicle within a mile.
Im lucky, I just drive 30 miles shoot 2 and come home, there really is no "hunting" them.
Colorado has plenty also, but you will have better luck on a private ranch there, just ask a rancher, some say shoot them all, others will want $$.
Ive yet to shoot one over 344 yards though, spot & stalk or sit & wait is the game.

Not sure where you were but herds are way down in eastern WY. EHD and winters have played havoc on them. I don't even have to hunt public land.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by eh76
Originally Posted by 5spd

Not sure where you were but herds are way down in eastern WY. EHD and winters have played havoc on them. I don't even have to hunt public land.

much the same story in alot of eastern Montana though i believe they are coming back in a few spots.....and this isnt BS to just point you away from Montana...winter of 2010-2011 was record shattering and killed tons of goats and we had blue tongue(EHD) hit different parts of eastern Montana both before and after that winter....before 2011 ild say eastern MT wasnt a bad place to give it a try but our numbers are way down

Last edited by rattler; 11/18/14.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Yar: I began Hunting Antelope in eastern Montana back in 1969 and have Hunted there virtually every year since then.
That is up until the Antelope die-off's that began in the spring 3 1/2 years ago.
In 2,012 I got an Antelope permit for SE Montana but refused to Hunt that year due to LOW populations.
In 2,013 I applied for the first time ever for here in SW Montana (where Antelope populations were not devastated) but was not drawn.
Here in 2,014 I again applied for SW Montana and was successful both in the draw and in the Hunt.
Compared to eastern Montana and Wyoming there are very few Antelope tags offered in SW Montana.
I think it will be another two or three years before I again apply for my beloved Powder River Country of eastern Montana for Antelopin.
I have Hunted virtually every quadrant of Wyoming in the past and from what I have seen and heard recently Wyoming would be your better bet for a 2,015 Hunt.
A non-resident friend of mine applied for and was drawn for his first Antelope tag/Hunt in the Red Desert area of Wyoming and after 4 days of Hunting harvested an excellent Buck Antelope on public land.
I strongly suggest Wyoming for 2,015.
Best of luck to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
when will you learn about paragraphs

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Yar: I began Hunting Antelope in eastern Montana back in 1969 and have Hunted there virtually every year since then.
That is up until the Antelope die-off's that began in the spring 3 1/2 years ago.
In 2,012 I got an Antelope permit for SE Montana but refused to Hunt that year due to LOW populations.
In 2,013 I applied for the first time ever for here in SW Montana (where Antelope populations were not devastated) but was not drawn.
Here in 2,014 I again applied for SW Montana and was successful both in the draw and in the Hunt.
Compared to eastern Montana and Wyoming there are very few Antelope tags offered in SW Montana.
I think it will be another two or three years before I again apply for my beloved Powder River Country of eastern Montana for Antelopin.
I have Hunted virtually every quadrant of Wyoming in the past and from what I have seen and heard recently Wyoming would be your better bet for a 2,015 Hunt.
A non-resident friend of mine applied for and was drawn for his first Antelope tag/Hunt in the Red Desert area of Wyoming and after 4 days of Hunting harvested an excellent Buck Antelope on public land.
I strongly suggest Wyoming for 2,015.
Best of luck to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

VG
How many points for your friend to draw the Red Desert?
I have 5 pp's . Went to an OTC unit this year, with the plan to scout a limited quota unit for 2015. All I can say is I'm glad I didn't burn my points this year....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (007FJ, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 1Longbow, 61 invisible), 2,514 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,434
Posts18,470,811
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.