Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by Benjamin Watson
At some point while I was playing or preparing to play Monday Night Football, the news broke about the Ferguson Decision. After trying to figure out how I felt, I decided to write it down. Here are my thoughts:

I'M ANGRY because the stories of injustice that have been passed down for generations seem to be continuing before our very eyes.

I'M FRUSTRATED, because pop culture, music and movies glorify these types of police citizen altercations and promote an invincible attitude that continues to get young men killed in real life, away from safety movie sets and music studios.

I'M FEARFUL because in the back of my mind I know that although I'm a law abiding citizen I could still be looked upon as a "threat" to those who don't know me. So I will continue to have to go the extra mile to earn the benefit of the doubt.

I'M EMBARRASSED because the looting, violent protests, and law breaking only confirm, and in the minds of many, validate, the stereotypes and thus the inferior treatment.

I'M SAD, because another young life was lost from his family, the racial divide has widened, a community is in shambles, accusations, insensitivity hurt and hatred are boiling over, and we may never know the truth about what happened that day.

I'M SYMPATHETIC, because I wasn't there so I don't know exactly what happened. Maybe Darren Wilson acted within his rights and duty as an officer of the law and killed Michael Brown in self defense like any of us would in the circumstance. Now he has to fear the backlash against himself and his loved ones when he was only doing his job. What a horrible thing to endure. OR maybe he provoked Michael and ignited the series of events that led to him eventually murdering the young man to prove a point.

I'M OFFENDED, because of the insulting comments I've seen that are not only insensitive but dismissive to the painful experiences of others.

I'M CONFUSED, because I don't know why it's so hard to obey a policeman. You will not win!!! And I don't know why some policeman abuse their power. Power is a responsibility, not a weapon to brandish and lord over the populace.

I'M INTROSPECTIVE, because sometimes I want to take "our" side without looking at the facts in situations like these. Sometimes I feel like it's us against them. Sometimes I'm just as prejudiced as people I point fingers at. And that's not right. How can I look at white skin and make assumptions but not want assumptions made about me? That's not right.

I'M HOPELESS, because I've lived long enough to expect things like this to continue to happen. I'm not surprised and at some point my little children are going to inherit the weight of being a minority and all that it entails.

I'M HOPEFUL, because I know that while we still have race issues in America, we enjoy a much different normal than those of our parents and grandparents. I see it in my personal relationships with teammates, friends and mentors. And it's a beautiful thing.

I'M ENCOURAGED, because ultimately the problem is not a SKIN problem, it is a SIN problem. SIN is the reason we rebel against authority. SIN is the reason we abuse our authority. SIN is the reason we are racist, prejudiced and lie to cover for our own. SIN is the reason we riot, loot and burn. BUT I'M ENCOURAGED because God has provided a solution for sin through the his son Jesus and with it, a transformed heart and mind. One that's capable of looking past the outward and seeing what's truly important in every human being. The cure for the Michael Brown, Trayvon Martin, Tamir Rice and Eric Garner tragedies is not education or exposure. It's the Gospel. So, finally, I'M ENCOURAGED because the Gospel gives mankind hope.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well said.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Amen and amen.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That may be the best thing I've read all week.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Very thoughtful.

Retired cat herder.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
my guess is he ended up with a pretty exceptional body and athletic gifts to play in the NFL

nice to see he got plenty of brains as well

good on that young man

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
And, he's my brother! (Blood bought, sanctified kind.)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
as insightful and thought provoking as those remarks are, they are a candle in an ocean of darkness.
This whole Ferguson thing has put race relations in America back a generation. Or more. Negros and whites live in two separate worlds.

Sam......

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Thankfully - not all, Sam,

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thank you for posting this. How wonderful it would be if more people thought this way. No matter what race, religion, color and creed you are.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This is how they demonstrated in Houston Tuesday night...
____

HOUSTON -
Houston Texans superstar JJ Watt is getting just as much praise off the field as he does for his play on the field and Tuesday was no exception.

We told you last month how Watt surprised some lucky Texans fans by delivering pizzas to their door through his charity partnership with Papa John's Pizza. Now Watt has taken it one step further.

On Tuesday, Watt reportedly bought Papa John's pizzas and had them delivered to all Houston Police Department and Houston Fire Department stations for lunch, along with a handwritten note.

"Even though he has a lot going on, he still thinks about us here in Houston and wants us to know that we're still appreciated," said Perry McClendon, HFD Station 51 engineer-operator.

Local 2 viewer David Hsiung posted a photo of the handwritten note addressed to HFD and HFD on our Facebook page. It read in part, "I just wanted to send you a small token of appreciation for everything you do... As athletes, we often get the headlines and big crowds but just like the men and women in our military, y'all are the ones who truly deserve the credit, appreciation and admiration. I know it's not much, but please enjoy lunch on me today."

The note is signed by Watt.

The Houston Police Department tweeted out a photo of Officer L. Lindquist holding the note and boxes of pizza at the HPD South Central Patrol station.

Each week through football season, Papa John's will donate 10 percent of Tuesday sales to the Justin J. Watt Foundation, which supports middle school athletes.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
as insightful and thought provoking as those remarks are, they are a candle in an ocean of darkness.
This whole Ferguson thing has put race relations in America back a generation. Or more. Negros and whites live in two separate worlds.
Good comment. I thought much the same thing, but the base of his comments are race based, and the incident between Wilson and Brown had nothing to do with race. Race was added by those would would incite black people.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'M SYMPATHETIC, because I wasn't there so I don't know exactly what happened. Maybe Darren Wilson acted within his rights and duty as an officer of the law and killed Michael Brown in self defense like any of us would in the circumstance. Now he has to fear the backlash against himself and his loved ones when he was only doing his job. What a horrible thing to endure. OR maybe he provoked Michael and ignited the series of events that led to him eventually murdering the young man to prove a point.
I wasn't there, either. Now, though, some facts are coming out that the grand jury could see and the MSM did their best to bury. We're now seeing more than just rumors about what happened and that Wilson was justified in the shooting. There are too many, though, who won't look at the facts because they have an agenda and the facts don't work with it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I would agree with benchman. While it's probably the most insightful piece written by an athlete or celebrity, it is still race-based and starts out with how he is angry over the perceived injustices "that continue." Let it go I say. Our family grew up with literally nothing. My older brother has done well through real estate, I did 26 years in the military and got a couple degrees while on active duty, and my younger brother is a nurse practitioner. This with an alcoholic and abusive father and at times with no food on the table.

I have black friends who never think or act like that. One in particular grew up in the Deep South, again with a very humble upbringing. He was a walk on linebacker for Auburn, served in the military and now works in animation with some of the most talented people in the industry.

You are what you aspire to be.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I don't disagree with your assessment. But I refuse to let what a few rabble-rousers have tried to do, change my opinion of any man. I will continue to do my best to judge people as individuals and not based on any group that they might be a member of through no fault of their own. If I do change the way I look at people, that are different from me, then those sorry, scum sucking, bottom feeding, worthless, hulls of humanity that haven't earned the right to even suck another breath, have won.

Harry
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by FreeMe
That may be the best thing I've read all week.

I am pretty sure it is the best thing I have read all week. It fast it my week be the best thing I have read in many months.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mathsr

I don't disagree with your assessment. But I refuse to let what a few rabble-rousers have tried to do, change my opinion of any man. I will continue to do my best to judge people as individuals and not based on any group that they might be a member of through no fault of their own. If I do change the way I look at people, that are different from me, then those sorry, scum sucking, bottom feeding, worthless, hulls of humanity that haven't earned the right to even suck another breath, have won.

I really hope life allows me to buy you the beverage of your choice someday. Your words reveal a man of character that I believe would make it an honor to meet you.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mathsr

I look at a man by who he is not what colour his skin is.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
That's Ben Watson....one of my Georgia Bulldog boys...did us proud.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

A thought that just occurred to me is that it's not so much the "Ferguson thing." It's the Black leadership thing. Name one black leader (Sharpton, Jackson, 0bama, though not all black leaders have African ancestry) accepted by the main stream who has the character of Martin Luther King, or the white abolitionists of the mid-1800s, or the white leaders of the Underground Railroad who risked life to bring blacks from slave states to free states. King was far from perfect, but his message was a call to elevate black Americans, not to diminish whites. Today the leaders of the civil rights movement are attempting to diminish whites, and you can't diminish one race or class without diminishing all. The civil rights leaders of the 60s understood this. Black clergymen, who were their forebearers, also understood it. Their message was the message of Acts 17:26, "And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth." Who in the civil rights movement believes that today?

Today's black leadership has put race relations back more than a generation. I say that because blacks have no leaders on the horizon, who are accepted by the main stream, who will not stand for the methods and values being pushed today. In my opinion, black leaders of today who are accepted by the main stream seek to elevate blacks by bringing whitey down, and that's impossible. Black leaders of earlier generations understood that it's impossible, which is why they achieved so much where today's civil rights leaders are failing.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

100 members (444Matt, 338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 16 invisible), 1,623 guests, and 862 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,290
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.