-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was out with Cookie a week or ago on one of her mule deer photo runs. One of her stops was a juniper/cottonwood setting with tons of juniper berries about. Saw kestrals, coopers, and sharp shins after robins, solitaires, and starlings. I witnessed several hits, but the victims escaped in all instances.

We did see a redtail blindside a flicker mid-flight but did not have enough notice to get the cameras up and going. I did not think they were much for birding.

1Minute
GB1

U
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
U
they're actually pretty good in ambush situations. The RTs on the Cornell cam caught a bunch of pigeons and even a gull last season!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Utahlefty,

first, a big thank you for the excellent Friday threads and photos. I enjoy them immensely and have learned a lot. Your post above answered one of my questions about how much they eat and what you do with their kills. I do have another question...

A week or so back your thread mentioned the paper your daughter was doing on the learning curve of raptors vis-�-vis their mortality rates. You also mentioned how often they had to eat in order to survive. I never would've guessed that.

Anyway, I mentioned your threads to my buddy including the fact that you hunt with Harris Hawks and how they 'team up'. He brought up a good question...in nature how do the HH divvy up the kills? Does the 'killer' eat the entire animal if it is a small one or is everything shared? Does the familial relationship make a difference in food distribution at all? Also, do the 'take turns' with the actual killing or is it more targets of opportunity?

Thanks for sharing your expertise and hobby with us.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
Keep posting as long as you keep them out this season, a lot of us really enjoy your pics.

Amen Hawk_Driver

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
U
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
U
Mojo, only the Sonoran / Central American Harris Hawks hunt in family groups. the South American subspecies are solo hunters.

Anyhow, the typical Central American family group will consist of a dominant (breeding) female, 1-2 adult males, and the sub adults from last season's brood. So 4-5 individuals.

in general, the males do most of the bird-dogging / flushing and the females do most of the actual killing.

feeding will progress from dominant female >> juvenile females >> males.

they will continue hunting until all are sufficiently fed

(this is the primary reason HH are good for multiple kills per outing -- as opposed to most other falconry raptors who are one-and-done)

that said, none of them are above horking down a vole or mouse or lizard on the sly when the opportunity arises....

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

645 members (10Glocks, 17CalFan, 160user, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,554 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,835
Posts18,478,075
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.