Print Thread
Hop To
B
billd Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Anyone here have experience with a Winchester Extreme in 300 WSM or possibly in 270 Win.

Thinking of picking one when I can find one.

Any experience will be appreciated.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Unfortunately this site has one of the worse search functions going. I like the search function on accurate reloading. About the only good thing going for it now days.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
John, click on the link I provided and you'll find just about anything you want to know about the EW's...No search function to worry about. Just a lot of reading... wink

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by billd
Anyone here have experience with a Winchester Extreme in 300 WSM or possibly in 270 Win.

Thinking of picking one when I can find one.

Any experience will be appreciated.

I have an Extreme Weather in 270 Winchester. Wonderful rifle that has proven to be very accurate and a pleasure to hunt with. I have yet to find a 130 grain load this rifle will not shoot accurately. Mine seems a little picky with 140 grain bullets. If you find one at a good price I'd buy it. Some people don't like the stock but I do...feels good to me.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I love mine in 7WSM, but thats the extent of my experience

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have one in a 325 wsm and it's a shooter as well

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I had one briefly and liked everything about it. Pulled the factory bedding, which I don't know was totally necessary, installed an Ernie's trigger spring. Minimal load work up and it shot 180gr Accubonds/Partitions well under MOA consistently. I'd buy another.

My daughter shoots one that started life as a 308 but was retubed with a PacNor 260 tube.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by joshf303
I had one briefly and liked everything about it. Pulled the factory bedding, which I don't know was totally necessary, installed an Ernie's trigger spring. Minimal load work up and it shot 180gr Accubonds/Partitions well under MOA consistently. I'd buy another.

My daughter shoots one that started life as a 308 but was retubed with a PacNor 260 tube.

I followed your rifle a bit because I was impressed with how it shot. At the time you were selling it, the first time, my buddy was on the lookout for a new 300 WSM EW and I tried to get him to buy your rifle. Like some idiots, he only had to have NEW and wouldn't budge. You then sold it to Reno. In the mean time, my buddy was waiting for his brand spanking new 300 WSM EW to show up. He got it and we went scope shopping. He found a $900.00 vortex viper and slapped it in some warne monts and rings. He proceded to buy 8 boxes of ammo. All of which had a price tag of no less than $65.00 on them. We took it to the range and he wanted to do the 1 shot then clean routine for a box of ammo for some kind of barrel break in. No problem. We then proceed to shoot 3 shot groups. The first group was 5 inches. I said damn, you sure everything is tight? We double checked everything. Pulled the scope and re torqued everything. He shot another 3 times and the same thing. He said, "It's probably just this lot of ammo". He switches to the next box of premium ammo and shoots 3 shots. This time it's a little better at 3.5". He shoots another 3 and the same thing, maybe a little bigger. He says he thinks he might be flinching and could I give it a shot? I fire off 3 shots and get a 2 3/4" group. I said, damn that's not good let me try that again. 3 more shots and it is a 3" group. I was thinking the whole time, "You dumb chit, why didn't you just buy Josh's EW!!!!!!". He had to buy new and sometimes that's going to bite you in the azz as far as I'm concerned. This was my experience with a true blue 300 WSM extreme weather.

My 2008 limited edition (with 300 WSM EW tube) that I just sold was a different story all together wink :

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I never shot factory ammo through mine I used a load of imr 4007 and 200gr speers as they say rest was history no need for anymore load development I like to find one in a 264 win mag.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've never shot a box of factory ammo through mine either..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My 270 EW is a shooter.

130ABs and H4831sc: who'd a thunk!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have an EW in .270 WSM. Love it. Put 130 Partitions into an inch with about 63 gr. (have to look it up again) of Rldr-22. Seems like I can just about close my eyes & the shots go where they're supposed to.
Can't beat that.
Bear in Fairbanks

Last edited by Bear_in_Fairbanks; 11/30/14.

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bear, you are a 270 slut. You'd probably really like my micky stocked pre 64 270 fwt. It's my best shooting pre 64 and it handles like a dream.

BSA MAGA
U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
Really like my EW in 300WSM. Picked it up here on the Fire around Christmas last year, and took my bull with it this year. 180g protected tip Partitions over RL17 worked well for me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
bear, you are a 270 slut. You'd probably really like my micky stocked pre 64 270 fwt. It's my best shooting pre 64 and it handles like a dream.

You're right!!! Is it for sale??? IMO, a guy can't have to many pre-64's although I only have one. Mine is a .270 Win. Had to replace the stock & get it re-blued. After that, It put 3 into an inch with a 150 Partition and 57 gr. of Rldr-22. Easiest load workup I've ever done. I can still take it out and accuracy hasn't changed.
B.I.F.

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hell no it's not for sale!! grin. I've got rid of all of my FN BACO's in favor of the old girls. Not that the BACO'S aren't great rifles, they just aren't the same....Here's the old 270 (made in 1957):

[Linked Image]

It hasn't been used much, but it's a shooter. 5 into less than an inch is very easy with this rifle..

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1234, 72 invisible), 2,890 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,231
Posts18,485,673
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.