Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#9384003 12/02/14
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Does anyone know a 'smith that has a 7 mashburn reamer that can clean up a 7 RM chamber on a 700?

PTG doesn't list it on their reamer list, yet I've seen where they have been PTG 7 mashburn reamers sold in the past. Do they have a reamer print for it and you just need to call them?

Last edited by GuideGun; 12/02/14.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
GG I am pretty sure Gene Simillion has a reamer.

Also PM Dave7mm on here. I think his smith has a reamer but don't know the smith myself.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The place that rents reamers (and thier name escapes me right now) has one as well as the nearly identical 7mm/300 WinMag.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
PS GREAT idea and caliber choice!

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Any idea on PTG though, do they make one?

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by GuideGun
Any idea on PTG though, do they make one?

I believe PTG has made a few

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I remember now the name of the place that rents reamers. They are called 4D gunsmithing supplies and they rent out Reamers and other gunsmithing tools that a 'smith would only need from time to time.

A number of years ago I rented a 300WBY reamer and a T-handle for it and re did a Browning A-Bolt chamber from 300 WinMag to 300WBY Magnum which turned out wonderful. Beginners luck I am sure but with care and lots of cutting oil it can be done and they will help you by renting you the tools to try it yourself if you want to. If you mess it up, you have only screwed up a factory Model 700 barrel and those plus aftermarket specimens are easy to come by.

Best of luck whichever way you go.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One more option. I have a Hugh Henriksen reamer that was used to do one chamber that I will put in your mailbox for $150.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Buy your reamer then sell it. Have the smith cut a Wilson seating die with the same reamer.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by RickF
One more option. I have a Hugh Henriksen reamer that was used to do one chamber that I will put in your mailbox for $150.

Bull's-eye

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rickmenefee
Originally Posted by RickF

Bull's-eye

Yep, a rented reamer may have done a bunch of barrels before you get it. Even if re sharpened not as good as a fresh one IMO. And, you can probably re sell it after use for about what you paid. The 7 Mashburn Super is a fairly popular wildcat with easy to make brass and a significant performance improvement over the two other more common 7mm Magnums.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Would really like to purchase my own reamer. Not ready to buy yet, just gathering info right now.

Not really sure which way I'm going on dies yet. Are the 7mm Mashburn Super Magnum Short dies that RCBS makes the right ones? Not sure what short means? Was thinking about buying die blanks and having them reamed out. Would I need a separate reamer for that?

-Matt

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
This is my reamer from PT&G, I'm sure the numbers at the bottom right should be able to help them.

[Linked Image]

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Would really like to purchase my own reamer. Not ready to buy yet, just gathering info right now.

Not really sure which way I'm going on dies yet. Are the 7mm Mashburn Super Magnum Short dies that RCBS makes the right ones? Not sure what short means?

GG: Yes that's the one. There is some confusion in the name but that's what RCBS calls it for some reason.

Art Mashburn actually did 3 7mm wildcats on the H&H case; one was intended for 06 OAL like a 7 Rem Mag, the other on the full length H&H case (like the STW),and the 3rd, more notorious one we are talking about here, the 7mm Mashburn Super, which was intermediate in case length.

Your Rem 700 is an easy conversion and should require nothing more than a rechamber. I know a few people who have done it that way.

I notice you're from Maine....too bad we didn't know. You coulda swung by The Forks and seen mine. I had it up there in November.

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/02/14.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Does anyone know a 'smith that has a 7 mashburn reamer that can clean up a 7 RM chamber on a 700?

Kevin Weaver, Weaver Rifles, Payton CO.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
PS...just build (ream) it, you won't regret it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
JR that turned out nice!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That looks like a fantastic rifle.

I have a 24" on my 7 RM currently, but I also have a brand new 26" 7 RM take off as well. When I get ready to do this, I think I'll have both barrels set up at the same time. Really looking forward to seeing what this can do. I'm currently trying to create a Quickload file for the Mashburn off of some reamer prints I've found online.

Bob, that's too bad. I'm actually down near Bangor.

-Matt

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
GG: Mmm...Bangor wasn't that far smile

All barrels I am familiar with have been 24" IIRC. Not sure what a 26" will do but I bet it won't be bad at all!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Bob which do you feel is a better method of making the brass; form/trim dies and then fire forming or, just running it through the FL die and then fire forming?

Also any neck turning needed at all?

How is case life once they have been formed? Assuming you don't step on it too hard.

I appreciate it.

Last edited by GuideGun; 12/02/14.

-Matt

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 7mm_Loco, 9 invisible), 1,162 guests, and 724 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,685
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.