Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#9384692 12/02/14
E
elkmtb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Do you guys wear a safety harness on a two man leaning ladder tree stand? The kind with a safety rail around the outside.

I can effeminately see it on a climber stand or a one man ladder stand without the safety rail.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes. I like me, and falling 16'-25', bouncing off a stand and/or tree, and then crashing into the ground is not something I want me to experience.

I try to avoid tree stands, but they are a very effective means of hunting certain areas and at times the only way to hunt certain areas.

If I leave the ground, I wear a harness.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I don't wear a harness on a ladder stand

I don't wear one with my Summit Goliath climber either. It's got a full rail. I try to watch what the fu(k I'm doing. So far in 30 years, never an issue. And for many years with a Loggy Bayou, no full frame, no harness, by myself, no cell phone.

I don't climb slick barks, no wet climbs, no ice and I don't usually go more than 15ft.

it ain't for everyone

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by slumlord

I don't wear one with my Summit Goliath climber either. It's got a full rail. I try to watch what the fu(k I'm doing. So far in 30 years, never an issue. And for many years with a Loggy Bayou, no full frame, no harness, by myself, no cell phone.

I don't climb slick barks, no wet climbs, no ice and I don't usually go more than 15ft.

it ain't for everyone
You would just bounce anyway if you hit the ground. Theres a reason they call you tons o fun

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've got 5 ladder stands and don't use a harness on any of them.

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I use one even in the ladder stands. I used to not, but as I've gotten older and seen a couple of folks I knew die from treestand falls I've gotten paranoid. Ladder stands scare me more than climbers.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I only bow hunt but use a harness anytime I'm in a treestand.

I use a rock climbing harness and there is no reason not to wear it.

None of my stands have any type of safety or shooting rails.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Something to think about when using a harness is being able to get yourself out of it IF you do fall. Dangling for any length of time has the potential to be just as lethal as a fall even with a properly fitting harness. Just a few short minutes dangling will severely restrict blood flow to the extremities and cause all sorts of nasty things to develop. Hunting alone probably means you will need to be able to get yourself out of it as soon as possible. Food for thought....

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Yeah, I use a harness with a ladder stand. But, it isn't as elaborate of a set-up because I figure the ladder will still be there for me to grab ahold of and right myself as opposed to just dangling in space like one would in other kinds of stands.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
This gives you something to consider. Not saying do not wear a harness but....

http://www.scribd.com/doc/8981332/Loose-Fitting-Harness

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by lilderrick

it ain't for everyone
You would just bounce anyway if you hit the ground. Theres a reason they call you tons o fun

pro staff guys are immune to the laws of gravity laugh laugh laugh

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by elkmtb
Do you guys wear a safety harness on a two man leaning ladder tree stand? The kind with a safety rail around the outside.

I can effeminately see it on a climber stand or a one man ladder stand without the safety rail.

I wouldn't be without one, and years ago I was a 5.7-5.8 rock climber, and noted for being a static C-130 jumpmaster and hanging out the troop door spotting the drop zone wearing an Air Force B-4 bailout chute, no static line. I ain't afraid of heights,but I don't particularly care for a prolonged stay in an ortho ward though. [bleep]' in a bedpan ain't my idea of a good time.

As a bowhunter, I seized upon the value of a harness as soon as they hit the market because it enabled me to hang over the edge of the stand to take whatever shot was offered. When I get set up, that is how I adjust the safety strap.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by okie

a little warning
This a pic of a guy's exploded nuttsack

sick

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by 4321
[quote=elkmtb]

As a bowhunter, I seized upon the value of a harness as soon as they hit the market because it enabled me to hang over the edge of the stand to take whatever shot was offered. When I get set up, that is how I adjust the safety strap.

+1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by elkmtb

I can effeminately see it on a climber stand

You wearin' a camo tutu ?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by okie

a little warning
This a pic of a guy's exploded nuttsack

sick

There's a fine line between hard and stupid. Darwin is a cold MOFO.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

it ain't for everyone

I've always been just as careful but I wear a harness and safety line. I always have. Last week my seat climber came off the tree and I fell upside down with my feet caught in my foot climber straps.

Always wear safety equipment and never use webbing straps on a foot climber.

You can also buy a descender to lower you safely to the ground in case of a fall.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I spend hundreds of hours up a tree every year and wear one of these. Easy on, easy off, never know it's there. If I happen to forget it, I go to one of my ground blinds.

Gorilla Gear G-Tac.

[Linked Image]

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I spend tons of hours in trees also. Pre mfg. stands, ladder stands, hang on, homemade platform stands, you name it. Never less than 18 ft high.

I have never worn a safetey device of any kind. Ice, snow, wind, cold, nothing has stopped me.

I readily admit that I should wear some type of device. And have known it for years. And still have never done it......

D
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D
I hunt high stand some 30' I don't wear a harness
I should but don't ...if fall I went doing something I enjoy

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

270 members (21, 12344mag, 2500HD, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 160user, 27 invisible), 1,743 guests, and 1,095 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,632
Posts18,492,998
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.