Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, this is a topic close to home for me. I'm in this business in South Africa as most of you know. This does not mean that I'm home free on this topic just because I understand bow hunting and I love to have bow hunters in camp.

You see, I too hire outfitters in various places to assist my efforts with local knowledge and logistics when I travel. I find more often then not, actually it's the rarest of outfitters that "get bow hunting". Outfitters in general are spoiled with those of us that use rifles. I have had more then a few occasions where a "guide" would state with assertive tones that I should "SHOOT" when the animal in question is at 60 yards and walking.

Seriously! These guys claimed to understand the needs of the bow hunter when discussing the hunt booking? When I ask later in camp how many guys are taking those 60 yard moving shots.

" well the good guys make those every day, Guess we will have to work a bit harder to get you the perfect 20 yard broadside shot if you can't make those"

Really? Sometimes I think these guys forget what I do for a living when I'm hunting there. I've likely seen ten times the game shot that they have, and bigger game on average too! I would NEVER not EVER, not once or in the future ever suggest a bow hunter take any moving shot period, and never at more then 30 yards. I am guilty of suggesting that a bow hunter take a shot under 30 yards( laser measured) broadside and still. There would certainly NEVER be a condescending tone or comment regarding the skill of anyone in my camp!

It's a shame that there are so very few outfitters that really get archery. I'm over the top excited to have bow hunters in camp. I love archery guys coming to this place to shoot game. I have great blinds, some elevated and some are partly below ground level. Some made to look like a termite mound, some like a thatch roof chalet up high. Some are made ground level with brush that is refurbished each year. All have been in the same places for years now so all game just expects to see these like any other part of the landscape.

Be cautious with any outfitter that says he has had bow hunters in the past. That is a huge difference then saying I'm a bow hunter too, I know what you need. Even then I think I have met some of the worst most misguided "bow hunting" guides America has ever produced. I have often wondered if they shot an arrow at an animal one time a decade ago so they are now a "bow hunter".

I have a business trip to Austin Texas this month. I hunt a farm in Texas frequently but it's far from Austin. I wanted to hunt the weekend following my business responsibilities. I called probably 12-15 Hog hunting guides to see what was available. I started by saying I'm bow hunting so I need the conditions to work for archery. One fella replied instantly that I could go to his website and see pictures of all his stands and blinds. They are all between 50-90 yards. All his hunters love the big comfortable box blinds. A...... Did I mention I'm a bow hunter? ....... Yeah these work for archery,...... Really? ........ Seriously? 50-90 yards? Who the heck is launching arrows a minimum of 50 yards at game? Whats the success rate? (Should I bring 200-300 bucks in arrows too?)

Another fella said he had some kind of corn distribution system on his pickup. He would drive down the road and spread corn and I should sit or hide along the road when the pigs and deer come running to eat the corn. That sounds like a livestock feeding program more or less? Then we have all the logistics, no blinds, rifle only blinds, only with hounds, only with his night vision rifle. No accommodations, accommodations without bedding, no meals, no place near the location to stay or eat. It's not just that they don't have the capacity. They respond as if these things had never even been asked of them? They have no idea how to respond, or what to suggest?

Hunters flying in and renting a car to go on a hunt is completely foreign to these outfitters. I cannot imagine being in this business and not being able to cater to traveling hunters. Of course there are the outfitters that have a giant beautiful lodge and plenty of exotics and the hogs that come and go as they please. They provide 5 star meals, open bar, luxury in every way. Those places are 350 per day, and 1000.00 for a hog. two day minimum and an additional 150.00 for a non hunter. So you would have to cough up over 2 grand to shoot a freaking pig! Oh wait...... they average 60-90 pounds, and there is no guarantee you will even see one. Certainly no guarantee under 30 yards. " we don't really take that many bow hunters" ( however we will gladly take your 2000 bucks for the hunt)

I think there is a really big need for some good Old South African charm and hospitality along with a real need to create an actual professional hunting operation. With people who can articulately discuss this business with hunters, especially bow hunters. It seems archery hunting outfitters that are good to excellent are very few and far between!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
JJHACK I guided for a few years with an archery only outfit. He is out of business now do to such a small market cap. I was asked about five years ago to help another guy start up an archery specific part of an already existing and successful outfitter. The problem for most guides is that the majority of hunters are rifle hunters. Add that a good majority of bow hunters are DIY'ers and it doesn't leave a lot of room for profit. There are outfitters out there that hire guides with good archery skills. Sucks you were not able to find one to fit your needs.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 160user, 10ring1, 163bc, 58 invisible), 2,193 guests, and 1,100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,560
Posts18,531,582
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.