Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
battue no they are not the Mona Lisa. They were intended to be working rifles and do pretty well in that role.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
HR IC

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by BobinNH
battue I schlepped around a FW 270 in the snow and mud last week(one of those "late, undesirable,declining quality rifles" that collectors don't like cry

But some collector kept it pristine for 40 years, before I bought it a dozen years ago. Redneck stocked it for me in a McMillan and it is the new #1. I hope to make it look really schitty someday but have too many rifles for that to happen. It needs some real abuse. smile

Bob,

Damn it quit making sense, it just confuses the issues. grin

Some need to realize the run of the mill Pre 64 Model 70 isn't an original '67 427 Shelby Cobra, nor will they ever appreciate in value like the Cobra to allow them to live a little larger on the profits. Hit a home run and find a rare one at the right price, ya you can turn a nice profit and pay the light bill for a few years. The rest are better than good working rifles and not much more. For the most part, the people who think the pre 64 70's are the holy grail are dying out and the new generation doesn't look at them in the same way. Right or wrong, that is the fact.

Most here have a couple and don't fall into the classification of collectors.

The have their mystic and rightfully so, but the Mona Lisa they are not.

This schit just keeps getting better and better. What was the topic of discussion again? You lost me at Mona Lisa was an ugly bitch... whistle Was she Portuguese??

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If I had to pick one rifle it would be the model 70. Make it right and I could care less where you make it.

Kimber out-Winchestered Winchester, and did it while making them here wink , but even if Winchester had beat them to the punch, the purists would be whining the receiver wasn't an exact miniature.

Yesterday carried a Kimber, and if you put it into my hands with no markings and I had been away for awhile, think I may have thought it was a model 70? It shoots better than good also. blush

Addition: Wonder how much bitching went on when W eliminated the clover leaf tang and barrel screw?

Last edited by battue; 12/02/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
A friend purchased one of the 308 Supergrade's.It shoot's cloverleaf's at 100 with factory ammo and the fit & finish is excellent.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I would not worry about Portugese assembly; Europeans were making guns way before we were. If the Portugese were not good craftsmen then Leica would not build quality optics there.

Got that straight. I don't know if their scope line has shifted production to Portugal, but the ER I have says made in Germany on the box, whereas some of the ERi's have made in Portugal on the box.

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have 2 classic Winchesters that I used for donors,and a have 2 more that I am doing. I just can't see spending 2 to 3 grand for a pre-64,when I can build a nice custom for that. 3 are 300 RUM's and a 375

Some guys love to collect originals and pre-64's fit that bill,but for me it's not worth it.

I don't see any reason to buy a Portagee Win,unless you what a virgin rifle.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yes the bew "Portugese" Winchesters are crap,

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I bet the same guys here who say they won't buy a model 70 "not completely made in the the US of A, would walk past a Remington 11 for a "Belgian A5

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Yes the bew "Portugese" Winchesters are crap,

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I bet the same guys here who say they won't buy a model 70 "not completely made in the the US of A, would walk past a Remington 11 for a "Belgian A5

Nice looking , no doubt. But why do we Americans always put up with the [bleep] end of the stick,for offshore corporations? Perot was right.
And the U.S. debt just hit 18 TRILLION on Friday.....yea a F'n chicken in every pot! Or a Portagee Winnie in every hand mad

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I remember when every town had an independent pharmacy and hardware. Why did you sell us out to the big chains? Why you even did it right here onshore.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I remember when every town had an independent pharmacy and hardware. Why did you sell us out to the big chains? Why you even did it right here onshore.

It's called good ole neo fascism aka part of the big lie.

IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I will say it again same guys talking [bleep] about these Portuguese made model 70 will end up buying one [bleep] same [bleep] saying buy american are driving foreign made cars lol. All you so called model 70 purists are a real hoot. I will bet a good bottle whiskey BSA will one of the first ones to get one, cause he's the one that talks the most [bleep] lol. Will he tell us probably not... BSA just busting your balls lol

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RogerD

Nice looking , no doubt. But why do we Americans always put up with the [bleep] end of the stick,for offshore corporations? Perot was right.
And the U.S. debt just hit 18 TRILLION on Friday.....yea a F'n chicken in every pot! Or a Portagee Winnie in every hand mad

'cause Honkeys won't pay $700 for a $400 rifle. How much would you be willing to pay for a 100% red, white, and blue M70?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Gitem, you hit the Portuguese jackpot with that stock. Real nice.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Photos don't do it justice. I wish the finish was a touch lighter to really bring out the figure. But it's a great rifle

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I personally don't mind the look of that new Winchester cheapie. If it shoots and doesn't fall apart on the user, I'd own one. Even better if it lends itself to some customisation.

All well to say it looks like a clone of the RAR or Tikka. Ever noticed the similarities between the M70, M77 and the Kimber? What about the Howa, Vanguard and the M48?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by OldBrownDog
Originally Posted by 16bore
I'd bet they are better guns. I'd also bet that if they were built here they way they "should" be, they'd cost twice as much. Hell, there's probably a $400 Winchester on the horizon.

You guessed it.....
http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/interactive/firearms/xpr/

Holy chit! A Tikka with an even uglier stock.

Might be able to sand and paint it to lookin good enough to beat snowy brush and rocks with (if it shoots anywhere near as good as a Tikker...).

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Just talked with a landowner here in Pa who is going to die wealthy on the Natural Gas that is about to come out of his ground. He asked the gas company where they put the gas and was told Pa storage is filled up, the majority will be frozen and shipped to China.

Keep your eye on the big problems, like worrying about a few Winchesters being made in Portugal. grin

Last edited by battue; 12/03/14.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I guess I don't subscribe to the "Buy American" ideal simply because I've seen enough of America to know it's not going to be a better product purely by virtue of the worker being American. There are a lot of people in America that simply exist, with no desire to produce. Whether that be as workers, parents, spouses, friends, etc. We are a nation that is quickly slipping in terms of quality of people and value to each other. It used to be that buying American meant getting a better product while supporting your fellow American. Now its just buying a product, most likely inferior in construction relative to price, that was assembled by someone who probably doesn't even have pride in themselves. America is a nation of selfish people who value "more sh:t now" more than "quality in time". We see it in our relationships, government, attitudes...physiques. What makes you think consumer products are immune if we allow that mentality to affect even the way we raise our kids or take care of our bodies? There are plenty of Americans who possess the attitude and drive that are worth supporting, but they are far outnumbered. Until we reverse course as a nation in our attitudes towards value in our work, things, and each other nothing will change.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Some complain about those who buy foreign cars in that the profits go overseas. Winchester isn't an American company any longer, so according to some we shouldn't have been buying them when they were made here.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some complain about those who buy foreign cars in that the profits go overseas. Winchester isn't an American company any longer, so according to some we shouldn't have been buying them when they were made here.

Stop your making too much sense ... Theses guys talking [bleep] won't know what to think. FN bought winchester back in 1988 when usraco filed for bankruptcy.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 63 invisible), 2,378 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,271
Posts18,486,613
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.