Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'd eat a bullet before I tried grinding with a KitchenAid attachment again. You boys are some tough SOB's.

You said what I was trying to think of saying. Some just have a better grasp of the English language. I ground part of 1 deer with the Kitchen Aid. After having used other grinders for years (not my own) I knew to not continue. I bit the bullet and bought a 3/4 hp Cabelas. Life is good.

GB1

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
I bought a old #22 Hobart that will grind like nobodies business for 75.00 from a guy who retired and was relocating to Florida. Deals are around if you look in the right places.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It ain't a problem with the wife. I've tried grinding with one, that is some SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW grinding.

That can just be read in so many different ways! wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by baldhunter
For the price range you're looking for,this one might be a good choice.Reviews are good too.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200451267_200451267

I just now ordered this grinder. According to the video it has all metal internal parts and steel shaft and gears. I'll post a review in a couple of weeks, and thanks for the link.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I went through a half dozen cheap ones over the years, finally bought a 3/4 hp Cabelas and could not be more pleased.
Save a coupon, wait for a sale and snag one. As good as mine is I'll bet the 1/2 hp would be fine. Did my spike elk this year in 17 minutes. Sucks the meat in without stuffing and is QUIET!
Worth the extra $$$ for me. And I'm a cheap bastard.

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
We bought a #32 grinder with the v belt pulley from northern tools mounted it on a board powered it with a motor from harbor freight and it grinds anything you put in it !

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
It ain't a problem with the wife. I've tried grinding with one, that is some SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW grinding.

That can just be read in so many different ways! wink

TFF

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
I have a #5 LEM big bite grinder and it is plenty of machine for occasional deer processing. When I first looked at it, it looked tiny compared to some of the monstrous ones they sell and I was concerned it would be too small. No worries unless you want to open your own butcher shop. Basspro has them on sale this week for $219.

I'd either get one of those or go for one of the really cheap ones and see how long it lasts. Take your time and don't crowd it too much. If you can get through 10 deer with a $60 machine, you can't argue with that. While you are using it, maybe watch Craigslist for a lightly used, LEM, Weston, Cabelas, or if you are real lucky, a $75 Hobart!

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My wife has the kitchen aid attachment. It came free with the mixer. I've used it a few times with venison. It works alright, but i usually only do a little bit to make sausage. I don't run a whole deer through it etc.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I helped a former coworker of mine grind horseradish root one time, his home built/modified hand grinder schit the bed in about 5 minutes, so we used his wife's kitchen aid with the grinder. It ground that tough crap a bit better but by the time we were done there was grease leaking out of the motor on the mixer, and it was hot as hell. He just wiped off the grease and told me to keep my damn mouth shut.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bubbajay
I helped a former coworker of mine grind horseradish root one time, his home built/modified hand grinder schit the bed in about 5 minutes, so we used his wife's kitchen aid with the grinder. It ground that tough crap a bit better but by the time we were done there was grease leaking out of the motor on the mixer, and it was hot as hell. He just wiped off the grease and told me to keep my damn mouth shut.

Now that's funny!!!!!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I feed the chunks into the grinder and my wife weighs and wraps it as it comes out. The KitchenAid is fast enough that she can't keep up with it so I guess it's fast enough for us. I like not having an extra appliance taking up cabinet space too, but I guess that's how you get when you live in a 600sqft hobbit house!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Don't know if the newer ones are as good, but my $120 Northern Tool one has been working fro 15-20 years, with as many elk and antelope and a few deer.

Any grinder from Cabelas is over priced, even with a sale and coupon. I do have the grinder attachment for the Kitchen Aid also. It works great if you freeze your trims and take out enough for one or two meals and grind that. I did that with an old bull I shot in 2009 that I found out the steaks were too tough to chew. I'd do that instead of paying Cabelas twice of what they are worth

Last edited by saddlesore; 12/05/14.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
That's your opinion. Always cute to watch guys give opinions like they're facts. I doubt you'd use a Barnes bullet shot from a Lilja barreled McMillan stocked rifle cut meat with a Ingram blade and put in a yeti cooler either.......

To each his own and many ways to skin cats.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Well, if you are going to process deer, a decent meat grinder actually offers you utility over and above a grinder attachment on a mixer or perhaps a walmart special.....depending on the volume of meat you process.

Custom rifles, knives, and Yeti coolers are for enthusiasts, ie looneys.....not that there is anything wrong with that. They are in no way necessary to put a whitetail in the freezer. In those items I see beauty and coolness, but practically zero utility.

Wonder if there are meat grinder looneys? I bet there are. I know there is some guy out there who spent $10K on some massive commercial Hobart grinder that requires three phase power, takes up a small room, and grinds 72 pounds of meat per second.....and uses it to grind his 50 lbs of deer meat a year or maybe make a little sausage...and who looks down his nose at the guys with the Cabelas grinders! laugh

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't know if the newer ones are as good, but my $120 Northern Tool one has been working fro 15-120 years, with as many elk and antelope and a few deer.

I used mine ($120 Northern Tool) the other day and it did not sound quite right, so I took it apart. One of the gears had dried and galled the shaft a little. Emory cloth and some lube fixed it right up. Sounds great now. Never did quit working just sounded rough. I am thinking about seeing if I can seal it and make it run in oil instead of having grease in there. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Kaleb
That's your opinion. Always cute to watch guys give opinions like they're facts. I doubt you'd use a Barnes bullet shot from a Lilja barreled McMillan stocked rifle cut meat with a Ingram blade and put in a yeti cooler either.......

That's for sure. This forum is filled with guys that have more money than brains. At least my opinions are based on 50 plus years of experience

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by MichiganScott
I bought a Cabela's 1hp grinder about 10 years ago. I wish that when I first started hunting, I'd spent the money on an equivalent grinder.

I tried a couple of cheaper ones and ended up using a larger hand grinder for a number of years. I finally gave up and bought the Cabela's.

This one has served us for 16yrs. now doing an elk & a deer every year with the occasional antelope thrown in and sausage making on top of it all. Very satisfied for <$100.00

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by saddlesore

That's for sure. This forum is filled with guys that have more money than brains. At least my opinions are based on 50 plus years of experience

You could have just gave your advice but chose to trash mine.
Tried to give a good tip based on 45 years of experience but some are too stuck in the stone age to listen.
Keep chipping arrowheads in your cave.
You've never seen a 3/4 hp Cabelas grinder do an elk have you?
But then I may have put more of them on the ground than you have.
I've spent enough money on cheap ones to buy two of them.
Do the math. With "your" brain. Is it worth it? The OP can decide. Or someone else considering a grinder.
My opinion is worth the same as yours.
About $0.02.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
Originally Posted by saddlesore

You could have just gave your advice but chose to trash mine.
Tried to give a good tip based on 45 years of experience but some are too stuck in the stone age to listen.
Keep chipping arrowheads in your cave.
You've never seen a 3/4 hp Cabelas grinder do an elk have you?
But then I may have put more of them on the ground than you have.
I've spent enough money on cheap ones to buy two of them.
Do the math. With "your" brain. Is it worth it? The OP can decide. Or someone else considering a grinder.
My opinion is worth the same as yours.
About $0.02.

When I get serious,I use the 6" throat grinder out at the farm.

BTW, this year I put my 48th elk on the ground. So I do know thing or two about grinding elk, beef, or deer.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,596
Posts18,492,216
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.