Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
A couple of weeks ago, links to Amazon appeared in my google search windows when Firefox opens and I can't seem to get rid of them. Any attempt to do a google search directs me to an Amazon page with items related to the search that are for sale. I am about ready to ditch Firefox and go back to Safari. Is there another solution?

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Short Term Relief...Go to OPTIONS>>>General and change your start page to a blank page.
Medium Term Relief...Change your start page too https://www.ixquick.com/eng/? and stop feeding Google.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
through the whole mess out the window.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I use a weather report for a home page.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
To even imply such a thing! Shame, shame! Ready the stake, pile kindling. Arouse the populace.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Delete and re-install FF.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well that's something new, to me anyway.

I just installed the Firefox 34.0 update. More useless crap I neither want nor need bloating up the code.

BUT it's easier to customize search engines (now defaults to Yahoo). Tools/Options now has a Search icon. You can set the default search engine and remove search engines from the alternatives list. Including Amazon.

You can also turn off "Provide search suggestions" which is annoying. In all Mozilla trashed up a simple function for no good reason. Seems to be the way of things with the present leadership.

If you have a previous version, and if I remember correctly, you can click on the icon on the left INSIDE the search bar and deselect search engines. Like deselect Amazon. Though I never deselected Amazon and it never got in the way.

Hope this helps.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
you might try this as your start page. no problems at all.

https://startpage.com/

"Today does mark the beginning of the end.�

President Barack Huessien Obama, February 17, 2009
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I tried to download Mozilla and I got loaded up with crap, adds, popups, shiiiiittly seach engines etc. I had to restore my computer to get rid of it and Go back to Chrome.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ben - I'm not an expert on this stuff, and I run FF on Linux anyway - but have had my search engine/home page hijacked in previous setups. Someone above desribed one way to de-select Amazon and if that particular method does not work you can look around in your computer setup and find a way to do so - and set default for your preferred search engine at the same time. Hope this helps.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Perhaps I misunderstood. If it's a start page hijack on opening a new tab check This out. It works. If it's just the start page you reset that in Tools/General/Options, the new tab start is different and found in about:config (see link above).

There is some stuff in about:config relating to search (browser.search...) but on my browser it matches up with what I asked Options/Search to set. There is an entry in about:config browser.search.defaultenginename and mine says Google just like it should.

My home/start page is an Escher drawing on my hard drive which I think pretty well describes dealing with home computers these days. laugh

[Linked Image]

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by mudhen
A couple of weeks ago, links to Amazon appeared in my google search windows when Firefox opens and I can't seem to get rid of them. Any attempt to do a google search directs me to an Amazon page with items related to the search that are for sale. I am about ready to ditch Firefox and go back to Safari. Is there another solution?
Chrome...

Originally Posted by byc
Delete and re-install FF.
Actually, just delete.. laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

441 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 257_X_50, 1Longbow, 22kHornet, 53 invisible), 2,394 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,743
Posts18,495,126
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.